What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    robgilmo said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Mortal Engines. Mad Max meets Star Wars. Decent CGI, and the concept of entire cities travelling on wheels to survive actually kind of worked. Enjoyable but badly let down by one-dimensional characters, pointless sub plots, and predictability. 6/10.
    I was really looking forward to this, the trailers look awesome. I watched Slender Man the other night, watchable, interesting but very much a teen horror flick.
    Don't be put off. Despite its shortcomings it was imho still enjoyable. I was entertained.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Juliet Naked 8/10
    First Reformed 8/10
    A Simple Favor 9/10
    Breakfast Club & Bueller’s 10/10

• Zoolooter said:
    Juliet Naked 8/10
    First Reformed 8/10
    A Simple Favor 9/10
    Breakfast Club & Bueller’s 10/10

Breakfast Club is very simple and quiet and slow by modern standards. Very hard to imagine it getting made in a similar way now. Yet it's an excellent film, although you do have to suspend disbelief as most of the cast were ( and looked) about ten years older than the parts they played. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    Breakfast club is a nailed on great

just watched bad santa for the first time. Possibly the greatest Christmas movie. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    edited December 2018
    Die Hard

Still the best Christmas film and an all time great action movie. MrsF had somehow never seen it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Overlord

This film is pure bonkers, but in a great way.  It is like they took Dead Snow and decided to make something similar, but with the villains being even more particularly evil.

If you are not into horror this may not be for you.

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3008
    munckee said:
    Breakfast club is a nailed on great

just watched bad santa for the first time. Possibly the greatest Christmas movie. 
    Don't forget there's a Bad Santa 2... and the shops are still open!
  • For anime fans, I watched Tekkonkinkreet last night. Really excellent - distinctive art style, good writing, great direction.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

Bird Box on Netflix.

Should have been brilliant,given the cast,but turns out it's just a bit pants. 

Hoped for an improvement when Tom Hollander turned up,but he's a bit wasted really. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Crimes of Grindelwald - terrible: an excessively convoluted plot, with not enough recap of the earlier film support characters. Lacking in the trademark JKR wit. Made worse because about halfway through you realise from the way the big CGI set pieces are going that you're not getting a self-contained story ... because it's now all about setting up an out for the sequel. 2/10

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5164
    Mary Poppins Returns..... She shouldn’t have bothered  :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    edited December 2018
    The Fabulous Baker Boys.
    An utter gem from almost 30 years.
    Good Lord Michelle Pfeiffer was so incredibly hot in that film, it makes me chew my knuckles.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Wisdom /\
  • "First Man" 2018 with Ryan Gosling. 1st successful Apollo mission. Better than expected. Gosling is, sadly, still playing himself, other cast very good. Lots of emotional load but space scenes are a pleasure... combination of spectacular and mellow.
     6.5/10
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Bird Box. At first glance it seems like it'll be a ripoff of A Quiet Place, but it's actually an adaption of a book written before a quiet place.

It's a pretty decent horror movie in its own right, and shouldn't really be compared.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    Crimes of Grindelwald - I'm not a Potter fan but I enjoyed it.  Silly magical nonsense, but peril and fun nicely hand in hand. 7/10

The Post - very serious look at the dilemma facing the Washington post and other publications when a leaked Vietnam war study falls into their lap.  Streep and Hanks doing what they do best.  8/10

Operation Finale - hunting Eichmann in Argentina.  Really engrossing.  8/10

Brave - missed this Pixar film when it came out.  And it didn't appeal to me enough to seek it out.  Watched it with my girlfriend who is a big fan and I was blown away.  It's beautiful, funny, magical and the main character is a gutsy, strong, forthright young woman who will stand up for herself.  Great to see.  One of their best imho 9/10

Your Name - Anime.  It's soppy romance at its best/worst with a healthy dose of sci fi.  Rewatched because it's that good.  Some of the scenes are just incredible too 9/10
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    "First Man" 2018 with Ryan Gosling. 1st successful Apollo mission. Better than expected. Gosling is, sadly, still playing himself, other cast very good. Lots of emotional load but space scenes are a pleasure... combination of spectacular and mellow.
     6.5/10
    I’m sure Ryan Gosling must’ve made some decent films otherwise he wouldn’t keep getting the gig, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one. He’s got all the charisma of a wet paper bag. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited December 2018
    Bumblebee - disagree totally with the poster above. It’s by far the best Transformers movie to date in that it was actually watchable without being a CGI storm. Very much aimed at a young-young adult audience I’d say (as you’d guess from the trailer). Some nice bits of 80s nostalgia and some whole-cinema-laughing moments. Even the wife liked it, and my son really loved it. Can’t fault the movie if the wrong audience attends

Bird Box - not the most original thing especially after just having seen a quiet place, but it was well done, had some scary moments and wasn’t too in-yer-face-Hollywood horror. Sandra Bullock has done something very odd to her face but she was pretty good in it, John Malkovitch played himself as usual which is all to the better, and it was free and premiered in my front room so no complaints from me!

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - another Netflix premier and I enjoyed most of it, the weakest parts were Tom Waits and Liam Neeson’s segments. Overall though I really enjoyed it.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    Dark Shadows. 0 out of 0.

Critters. 4 out of 7.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Remake of the "Predator" - although I'm not sure it's the remake, some sequel or prequel or whatever- it's just a horrible movie. Blimey ... I really wanted to give it a chance - but the acting, story, humour - all fails. Do not watch. 
    1.765/10