What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• deanodeano Frets: 622
    Bumblebee.

We have Cineworld unlimited passes which are about to expire so the wife and daughter are dragging me to see as many films as possible before they do expire.

Hence Bumblebee.

I enjoyed the first two transformers films. They were overblown kitch of course, but who doesn't like a bit of overblown kitch now and again.

But Bumblebee is just bad.

It is a terrible film. Yes it is overblown kitch but of a very desperate kind. It is sentimental and shamelessly tries to hug at the American target audiences's heartstrings. You can imagine the viewers in Topeka, Kansas crying into their popcorn because the young girl only wants her dad back, and then chanting "USA... USA..." when the girl becomes "empowered" and "beats her inner demons" (which is that she can't dive into a pool anymore because she wants her dad back - cue tears!) and she and Bumblebee beat the baddies.

Yes, the good guys beat the bad guys. I don't think anyone going into the film who is over say 6 years old, will see that as some kind of spoiler. You know how the film will pan out after the first ten minutes. Unfortunately you then have to sit though another hour-and-a-half for it to actually pan out and get to the end of the film, where there is just time to squeeze in a little more sentimentality (she still wants her dad) and empowerment (she gets a car to start without her dad).

The most horrific and frightening part of the film is that they have left the ending open to allow for another film, or - God forbid - a franchised series of films.

Seriously, don't go and watch this unless you have to take a group of junior school kids to keep them occupied for an afternoon whilst their parents go out Christmas shopping. Just go and buy a Haynes manual for a 1976 Volkswagen Beetle. It will give you the same information for a lot less money and is probably better written.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    deano said:
    Bumblebee.

We have Cineworld unlimited passes which are about to expire so the wife and daughter are dragging me to see as many films as possible before they do expire.

Hence Bumblebee.

I enjoyed the first two transformers films. They were overblown kitch of course, but who doesn't like a bit of overblown kitch now and again.

It is a terrible film. Yes it is overblown kitch but of a very desperate kind. It is sentimental and shamelessly tries to hug at the American target audiences's heartstrings. You can imagine the viewers in Topeka, Kansas crying into their popcorn because the young girl only wants her dad back, and then chanting "USA... USA..." when the girl becomes "empowered" and "beats her inner demons" (which is that she can't dive into a pool anymore because she wants her dad back - cue tears!) and she and Bumblebee beat the baddies.

Yes, the good guys beat the bad guys. I don't think anyone going into the film who is over say 6 years old, will see that as some kind of spoiler. You know how the film will pan out after the first ten minutes. Unfortunately you then have to sit though another hour-and-a-half for it to actually pan out and get to the end of the film, where there is just time to squeeze in a little more sentimentality (she still wants her dad) and empowerment (she gets a car to start without her dad).

The most horrific and frightening part of the film is that they have left the ending open to allow for another film, or - God forbid - a franchised series of films.

Seriously, don't go and watch this unless you have to take a group of junior school kids to keep them occupied for an afternoon whilst their parents go out Christmas shopping. Just go and buy a Haynes manual for a 1976 Volkswagen Beetle. It will give you the same information for a lot less money and is probably better written.
    But.... IT'S GOT SOUNDWAVE AND LASERBEAK IN IT!!!!!!!!!

When I saw the trailer before Creed 2, I had no idea they were in it. I was grinning from ear to ear when they appeared.

Can't say I'm surprised to hear it's not a great film though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:
    deano said:
    Bumblebee.

Hence Bumblebee.

When I saw the trailer before Creed 2, I had no idea they were in it. I was grinning from ear to ear when they appeared.

I'll be honest, I have no idea who you are talking about. I'm over fifty - I like my action films to have Arnie, Bruce or Sly in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • deano said:
    FarleyUK said:
    deano said:
    Bumblebee.

Hence Bumblebee.

I'll be honest, I have no idea who you are talking about. I'm over fifty - I like my action films to have Arnie, Bruce or Sly in.
    Schwarzenegger and Stallone I get but Forsyth is a different genre!  :#
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm looking forward to taking my boys to see Bumblebee over the Xmas break...at 7 and 10 I'm sure they're more the target audience than me.

No doubt we’ll be heading straight to the toy shop on the way home to spend their Xmas money on more slighlty different versions of Bumblebee.  
  • deano said:
    Bumblebee.

Hence Bumblebee.

If one replaces the word 'Bumblebee' for 'Avengers' or near enough any other Hollywood blockbuster the same would apply. 

Good write up though, I can pretty much imagine every frame of the film from your description. 

How long have you had a Cineworld pass for?  I had mine for a few years and in that time I watched a lot of great films and a lot of shit ones.  Eventually the shit ones wore away at my soul and one day I saw a Paul Rudd film which sent me over the edge.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    As part of me making my 13 year old daughter watch 80s movies cos they're better in many ways, I persuaded her to watch gremlins last night, my word that has aged badly, I seem to remember it being good, she thought it was terrible and I was struggling to defend it.
  • munckee said:
    As part of me making my 13 year old daughter watch 80s movies cos they're better in many ways, I persuaded her to watch gremlins last night, my word that has aged badly, I seem to remember it being good, she thought it was terrible and I was struggling to defend it.
    I rewatched Gremlins recently and aside from a few enjoyable/iconic moments, the film wasn't the best.  I think one of it's major problems was it's pacing, an 1 hour 47 minutes it seemed to drag on and have a bit of filler as well.  
  • munckee said:
    Same here, my youngest thinks that most 80's films are boring, although she did enjoy Carrie and the Shining :)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Just watched Speed Kills with John Travolta, quite a good film except I would stay away from the  "Filler and Botox".
    “Ken sent me.”
    munckee said:
    Same here, my youngest thinks that most 80's films are boring, although she did enjoy Carrie and the Shining :)
    She's not up to them yet, she loved uncle buck, ferris buellers day off and scrooged, hated the goonies and ET, there's a pattern forming there!

Not 80s but she loved napolean dynamite too.
  • munckee said:

She's not up to them yet, she loved uncle buck, ferris buellers day off and scrooged, hated the goonies and ET, there's a pattern forming there!

Not 80s but she loved napolean dynamite too.
    ferris buellers day, now that's a great 80's film. Try the Breakfast Club as well, then again she may find it boring (the music is good)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3009
    Watched Nightmare On Elm Street not long ago. Very dated.  Some other films we have in our collection below. Perhaps the only lesser-known one being 'After Hours' which is very surreal but great if you like the surreal type of movie

80's films for 15+

Purple Rain
    Pretty In Pink
    St Elmo's Fire
    Sid and Nancy
    Poltergeist
    After Hours
    Blade Runner
    Desperately Seeking Susan
    The Lost Boys
    Flashdance

12+
    Stand By Me
    Mannequin
    Footloose
    Coming To America

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9674
    edited December 2018
    Mortal Engines. Mad Max meets Star Wars. Decent CGI, and the concept of entire cities travelling on wheels to survive actually kind of worked. Enjoyable but badly let down by one-dimensional characters, pointless sub plots, and predictability. 6/10.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    HAL9000 said:
    Mortal Engines. Mad Max meets Star Wars. Decent CGI, and the concept of entire cities travelling on wheels to survive actually kind of worked. Enjoyable but badly let down by one-dimensional characters, pointless sub plots, and predictability. 6/10.
    From the trailers, I have to say it looks a complete mess IMO. CGI everything, terrible acting and you know it's bad when the director has to explain why it's so good.
    Shrews said:
    Watched Nightmare On Elm Street not long ago. Very dated.  Some other films we have in our collection below. Perhaps the only lesser-known one being 'After Hours' which is very surreal but great if you like the surreal type of movie

80's films for 15+

Purple Rain
    Pretty In Pink
    St Elmo's Fire
    Sid and Nancy
    Poltergeist
    After Hours
    Blade Runner
    Desperately Seeking Susan
    The Lost Boys
    Flashdance

12+
    Stand By Me
    Mannequin
    Footloose
    Coming To America

There's some crackers on there, after hours is good, american werewolf in london needs to be on the list plus Near Dark, the greatest vampire movie ever (beats lost boys by a wafer!)
    deano said:
    Bumblebee.

Hence Bumblebee.

If one replaces the word 'Bumblebee' for 'Avengers' or near enough any other Hollywood blockbuster the same would apply. 

Good write up though, I can pretty much imagine every frame of the film from your description. 

How long have you had a Cineworld pass for?  I had mine for a few years and in that time I watched a lot of great films and a lot of shit ones.  Eventually the shit ones wore away at my soul and one day I saw a Paul Rudd film which sent me over the edge.  
    We have had the passes for just this year. My wife bought them for a Christmas present for the both of us three years ago and it took us two years to activate them! Then we bought one for my daughter last Christmas, so the three of us have been using them for a year.

There won't be a second. We felt that the number of films we really wanted to watch was far lower than the number of films we were watching. In other words we were going to watch any old rubbish just to make the passes worthwhile.

We will go and see just the ones we want from now on and it will be cheaper.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Back to the Future trilogy in the 80's film diversion. War Games was pretty good as well. In fact let me add my own list...

• Back to the Future trilogy
    • War Games
    • Who Dares Wins
    • Superman (with Christopher Reeves)
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • Die Hard
    • The Terminator
    I like my action movies.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    I quite enjoyed "Searching". Great take on social media and screening. 
    As a piece of nonsense, distracting entertainment, try out "Bad Time at the El Royale". Apart from a not terribly convincing plot line with a not terribly convincing Chris Hemsworth, it's a barrel of laughs. 
    "Blindspotting" is a great film. Worth every penny. 

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3455
    HAL9000 said:
    I was really looking forward to this, the trailers look awesome. I watched Slender Man the other night, watchable, interesting but very much a teen horror flick.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3455
    Look Away , interesting story, not very scary, watchable but not as good as the trailers made it out to be, still worth a watch but not worth spending a lot of money on. I did watch Deadpool one and two recently, very entertaining, very funny, I'm not a marvel fan but these films were highly enjoyable.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.