What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    edited September 2019
    JezWynd said:
    Wife took me to see Ad Astra tonight.  We both like sci-fi so were looking forward to it.  Utter pile of shit from start to end. 
    Oh dear. Booked to see it next Monday.
    God help you...

I was expecting an epic and left hugely disappointed...

Somewhere between bad science, ridiculous script and wannabe - intellectual movie - all hope was lost. Even Pitt couldn't save it. 
    Come back with your review as I want someone to tell me it was only a bad dream...
    Actually, I really enjoyed the first two thirds, it was an unusual but matter of fact view on how the future might look. The overall look of space travel in the future was refreshingly mundane and downbeat.  I was thinking it was a take on Apocalypse Now initially; the v/o was similar in tone and hero was on a journey to seek out someone gone rogue. It went a bit pear shaped when he took off for Saturn (?) and finally met his dad. T Lee Jones is the kiss of death to any movie imo and he didn’t disappoint here. So, not quite the disaster I was expecting.  Flawed but interesting in parts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970
    Border
    Swedish film based on a story by the author of Let The Right One In.  The story has elements of fantasy and folklore, but in a very bleak, somewhat depressing modern setting.  Not much fun, but strange and interesting.
  • Just got back from the Joker.

I honestly think it’s the best film I’ve ever seen at the cinema. Possibly not the best film I’ve ever seen but as far as a 2 hour cinematic experience it was incredible.

A tad dark - think Taxi Driver and you’ll be in the right ballpark
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    edited October 2019
    Rewatched A Most Wanted Man tonight. This is one of the best examples I can think of where the film version is much, much better than the book. I'm a big fan of Le Carre's work but I thought this novel was mediocre at best. The film makers did an outstanding job of adapting it. They basically turned the novel inside out, completely changed the character focus, and ended up with a really cool and engaging piece of entertainment. Great cast with a standout performance from Philip Seymour-Hoffman  (alas his last  :-(  )
  • Went to the cinema last night to see Bait. Totally blown away and still thinking about it. To try and explain why would probably spoil it for people. Best seen without knowing too much. It's not "big screen" cinematic, so you could stream it at home and I think it would be fine. 

But see it!  ;)
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    Went to see The Joker on Friday 

very very good

joaquin Phoenix is excellent 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24396
    John Wick.

Well choreographed dullness.
    No real story, just a collection of headshots.

3/10.

Accident Man had a 200th of The budget and did the hitman revenge thing far better, with humour, and a bit of a story.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    In the Tall Grass

Does what it says on the tin. 6/10
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5654

Mrs Haych and I went to see Ad Astra last Friday.  We'd seen the trailers a couple of weeks before and thought it looked alright.

Top tip - if you're thinking of going to see Ad Astra.........

Don't! 

You're welcome! 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Haych said:

Mrs Haych and I went to see Ad Astra last Friday.  We'd seen the trailers a couple of weeks before and thought it looked alright.

Watch Event Horizon again instead 

You're welcome! 

Fixed that for you 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5654
    cj73 said:
    Haych said:

Watch Event Horizon again instead 

You're welcome! 

Fixed that for you 

Event Horizon was a great film, agreed, but it seriously messed with my head - didn't sleep for ages after watching that!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    Joker. It's an okay movie but over-relies on Joaquin Phoenix's charisma to carry it through phases where not much is happening. Joacquin has incredible screen presence and gets better as he ages; add the joker makeup and it's easy to see why Todd Phillips let the camera dwell on him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    tony99 said:
    Excellent. 

What does amaze me about this (and the other spaghetti westerns of the period) is how the BBFC's attitude to ratings has changed over the years. When they came out they were all, AFAIK, rated 18. If they came out now I suspect they'd probably be rated 12A.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FatBobFatBob Frets: 15
    Watched 'Joker'. I wasn't expecting a Batman style movie either, but I was bored through most of it. Not down to lack of action it just moves (IMO) very very slowly. JP is great showing the deterioration and helplessness of the character but for me there was no ebb and flow.  It mostly just ebbed, like Kiss of the Spider Woman.
    Peace is the absence of desire. Discuss...
    I did pick-up a BluRay copy of Passchendaele for £3 in my local ASDA. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Me and Mrs DJ watched a couple on Netflix/Prime this weekend, inadvertently both staring Jamie Fox

Baby Driver - Heard a few things about this but never got round to seeing it.....we both loved it, superbly done.
    Robin Hood - Heard a few things about this but never got round to seeing it.....utter shite.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    HAL9000 said:
    tony99 said:
    Excellent. 

What does amaze me about this (and the other spaghetti westerns of the period) is how the BBFC's attitude to ratings has changed over the years. When they came out they were all, AFAIK, rated 18. If they came out now I suspect they'd probably be rated 12A.
    They were rated 18 on the DVD's I bought years ago. Society moves on.

I remember Lisa Simpson saying (when Homer turned the TV off because Itchy and Scratchy was too violent) 'But dad, how are we going to get desensitised to violence if you won't let us watch it.'

Echoes down the ages. And I have never seen 'A Clockwork Orange.'   Should I?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12399
    FatBob said:
    HAL9000 said:
    tony99 said:
    Excellent. 

They were rated 18 on the DVD's I bought years ago. Society moves on.

I remember Lisa Simpson saying (when Homer turned the TV off because Itchy and Scratchy was too violent) 'But dad, how are we going to get desensitised to violence if you won't let us watch it.'

Echoes down the ages. And I have never seen 'A Clockwork Orange.'   Should I?
    Yep. 
  • FatBob said:
    Watched 'Joker'. I wasn't expecting a Batman style movie either, but I was bored through most of it. Not down to lack of action it just moves (IMO) very very slowly. JP is great showing the deterioration and helplessness of the character but for me there was no ebb and flow.  It mostly just ebbed, like Kiss of the Spider Woman.
    I saw it and I thought there were problems with the pacing, but I thought it wasn't slow enough!  IMO, David Cronenberg's films 'A History of Violence' & 'Eastern Promises' did a really superb job in balancing violence and the build up for character development, something which Joker lacked.  

Nonetheless I liked it a lot, but it's not a perfect film but a good one nonetheless.  I agree that JP carries the film. 

Some very interesting references though, I swear there's a line from Bob Monkhouse in there, fairly sure an episode from Louie (Louis CK's show) was referred too as well.