What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    FatBob said:
    Watched 'Joker'. I wasn't expecting a Batman style movie either, but I was bored through most of it. Not down to lack of action it just moves (IMO) very very slowly. JP is great showing the deterioration and helplessness of the character but for me there was no ebb and flow.  It mostly just ebbed, like Kiss of the Spider Woman.
    My son went to watch it last night. I thought he’d love it, seemed right up his street but he said it was 40 minutes of brooding then some violence, 40 minutes of brooding then some violence,etc. 
    I watched the Kermode review and he referenced King of Comedy about ten times so perhaps I should find and watch that first so I’ll understand Joker better when I get around to it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    munckee said:
    FatBob said:

And I have never seen 'A Clockwork Orange.'   Should I?
    Yep. 
    Yes. Still a powerful and thought-provoking film.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    ICBM said:
    munckee said:
    FatBob said:

And I have never seen 'A Clockwork Orange.'   Should I?
    Yep. 
    Yes. Still a powerful and thought-provoking film.
    I know it's a cliché, but it isn't a patch on the book. I'd recommend Burgess' novella much more as it's more closely scrutinous of the essential theme, choice.

But as the thread's about films, yeah I'd recommend it too, it's Kubrick ffs. For those who haven't seen it, they may be surprised that it's not really that shocking, and it was Kubrick himself who  banned it's availability in the UK. 

I feel it's dated (like a lot of 70's films set in the future, Westworld, Soylent Green, Rollerball) and the use of moog adds to that.

But as film making goes it's a couple of hours of raucous fun, mindless violence and it merits multiple viewings. Ultimately though, it should be iconic, but I'm not sure if that may be simply because it's reputation precedes it.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • FatBobFatBob Frets: 15
    Thanks for answering the Q on CWO. 

I heard many years ago that what made it shocking was the use of particular pieces of music during violent events.

Tony99. I didn't know it was a book first. I will get hold of a copy of it and read it first. Thanks for the recommendation!

Likely that the book was overshadowed by the film,.

I watched Eyes Wide Shut by mistake (Withnail reference) and though I had never wanted to watch it could not stop doing just that.

Films I really enjoyed with George Clooney 'Syriana'  and  'Michael Clayton.'
    Peace is the absence of desire. Discuss...
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5652
    FatBob said:
    Michael Clayton is a really good film. I watched it a couple of years ago just because I was bored and couldn’t decide what else to watch. 

I made my mind up before the opening sequence ended that I was going to hate it but found it very engaging and just an altogether really good film. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

edited October 2019
    I  was reflecting on the Tony99's short list of '70s films. It made me think of Forbidden Planet (1950), Tron (1980's), the historical Luddites (1779), the 1970's introduction of Japanese robotics in vehicle manufacturing etc etc.

This prompted the thought that humans have had a very sketchy relationship with technology that acts in an autonomous way. And a lot of sci-fi movies and books represent this fear (justified or not), and how the relationship with tech often depends on which side of it you fall. Such as in Minority Report , Total Recall or  Blade Runner.

I recently re-read 'The Chrysalids' by John Wyndham (1955).  I first read this when I was around 13. It is SOOOOOOOOO relevant today. Race relations, disabilities, differences, acceptance and religious intolerance, tolerance, genocide, trust, norms, distrust, understanding, lack of understanding, fear and how religion will fill any space it can in order to spread a web of ideas and gain purchase on society and the minds of those within.

By the way I had to look up all those dates  I am a  tit really - just saying.
    Haych said:
    FatBob said:
    Michael Clayton is a really good film. I watched it a couple of years ago just because I was bored and couldn’t decide what else to watch. 

I made my mind up before the opening sequence ended that I was going to hate it but found it very engaging and just an altogether really good film. 
    I found it on DVD in a charity shop. Glad I did and Tom Wilkinson is superb in it too. He plays the falling man to Clooney's got it all together character. I have yet to watch  'Money Monster'.  Sound like a fan, but I just like some films he was in. 'O Brother' was quite a surprise too.
    edited October 2019
    One more thing....can someone tell my son that he is a 15yo Tithead for refusing to watch 'The Matrix'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5652
    FatBob said:
    One more thing....can someone tell my son that he is a 15yo Tithead for refusing to watch 'The Matrix'
    Sorry mate, I have to agree with him lol. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haych.....Oh My! :o
    'The Post' was great and  so was 'Fifth Estate' - Granted not everyone's cup of tea.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22963
    Haych said:
    FatBob said:
    Sorry mate, I have to agree with him lol. 
    I'd be very reluctant to watch it now because two boring sequels have soured the original.  And from your 15-year-old's perspective it might look extremely dated.
    FatBob said:

This prompted the thought that humans have had a very sketchy relationship with technology that acts in an autonomous way. And a lot of sci-fi movies and books represent this fear (justified or not), and how the relationship with tech often depends on which side of it you fall. Such as in Minority Report , Total Recall or  Blade Runner.

All of those are by the same author too.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12399
    FatBob said:
    Your son is a baboon sir, the ugliest stinkiest monkey of them all!

The matrix is great, the 2nd and 3rd are mixed but the overall concept is brilliant and the final message that the humans and  technology are entirely dependent on each other is pretty sobering.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265

Bone Tomahawk: average. Not as violent or shocking as I'd been led to believe, and it dragged a bit in the middle. The end is crap. There is one scene that did make me wince, but that was about it.

6/10

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    John Wick.

Well choreographed dullness.
    No real story, just a collection of headshots.

3/10.

JW 2 is just a straight continuation of the original, so don’t bother with it if you didn’t like the first one. I haven’t seen JW 3 but can’t imagine somehow that it’s a whole lot different. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Snap said:

Bone Tomahawk: average. Not as violent or shocking as I'd been led to believe, and it dragged a bit in the middle. The end is crap. There is one scene that did make me wince, but that was about it.

6/10

It reminded me of the old Hammer horror movies... the build up of tension was pretty good. Then you see the monster (or the equivalent in this case) and it’s “meh, is that it?”  The violent bit was pretty grim, agreed. 
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    boogieman said:
    John Wick.
    JW 2 is just a straight continuation of the original, so don’t bother with it if you didn’t like the first one. I haven’t seen JW 3 but can’t imagine somehow that it’s a whole lot different. 
    Watched the Blu-ray of the trilogy over the weekend - suspend belief and enter Keanu's world....it's Quantum baby!

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10296

Just got home from seeing Joker. 

Very, very good. Best film I've seen in ages. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 

Just got home from seeing Joker. 

Very, very good. Best film I've seen in ages. 

what's it about?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom