What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    edited October 2019
    tony99 said:

Just got home from seeing Joker. 

Very, very good. Best film I've seen in ages. 

what's it about?

You.  ;)

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

"The man who killed Hitler then Bigfoot"

I watched it on Netflix and was pleasantly surprised.

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    tony99 said:

Just got home from seeing Joker. 

Very, very good. Best film I've seen in ages. 

what's it about?

You.  ;)

lol recognition at last !!

gonna try and see it next week
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    The Death of Stalin on Prime.a very good film IMHO .As the Russians condemn  it I assume its mainly true .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    rossi said:
    The Death of Stalin on Prime.a very good film IMHO .As the Russians condemn  it I assume its mainly true .
    Brilliant film. If you read the factual accounts of what happened it's scarily accurate - obviously slightly exaggerated for satirical effect, but really not much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The Farewell

Fantastic.  So well made and so enjoyable
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited October 2019
    I really enjoyed joker - I can see why it’s not for everybody (slow pace, dark and brooding etc.) but I was engrossed in it. 

Booked tickets to see the 4K rerelease of The Shining later this month.

Waiting for the dark fate reviews to start rolling in before prebooking..

Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26991
    Just finished Joker. Properly brilliant. Will win multiple oscars. Anyone wanting kersplosions will be very disappointed, but it’s a much better film for it. 

There was one brief bit at the end I could’ve done without (no spoilers!), but it doesn’t take away from the overall piece.

Overall I thought they did a great job making a “proper movie” -  the fact that it’s set in Gotham only helped them get a decent budget and adds weight to certain plot elements because the viewer inevitably comes in with expectations or what “Gotham” means. Almost similar to Logan really, but even moreso.

Now we wait for the inevitable copies for the next decade that will fail in every direction....
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    Just finished Joker. Properly brilliant. Will win multiple oscars. Anyone wanting kersplosions will be very disappointed, but it’s a much better film for it. 

There was one brief bit at the end I could’ve done without (no spoilers!), but it doesn’t take away from the overall piece.

Overall I thought they did a great job making a “proper movie” -  the fact that it’s set in Gotham only helped them get a decent budget and adds weight to certain plot elements because the viewer inevitably comes in with expectations or what “Gotham” means. Almost similar to Logan really, but even moreso.

Now we wait for the inevitable copies for the next decade that will fail in every direction....
    Could I take my 14 year old daughter to see it, is it too dark, would she be bored?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:

Could I take my 14 year old daughter to see it, is it too dark, would she be bored?
    it's not that dark, but if you drop one of your revels you may struggle to find it, same in most cinemas really
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26991
    munckee said:

Depends on the kid, I’d say. Violence wise it’s quite heavy, but not much of it in total, and any gory bits are much much more subtle (possibly realistic?) than they could have been - it’s less graphic than Logan I’d say. The darkness is 99% from it being a movie about a mentally ill guy, rather than just a killing spree.

As for boredom, If she likes romcoms or big kersplody Michael Bay type things, then she’ll be bored. If she has already enjoyed slower stuff more cerebral stuff then game on. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • munckee said:

It is a 15 mind - cines round our way always ask for proof of DOB
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Saw Joker last night. It deserves all the plaudits and some of the criticism it's received. The best piece of cinema I've seen in years - the performances, the story, the cinematography, the score, everything. It's disturbing and mesmerising at the same time and emotionally it had me from the very beginning. I've been trying to find faults with it all day and I actually can't put my finger on anything.
    Yeah, if you're after yet another superhero film with loads loads of fight sequences, CGI and spandex then you may be disappointed. If however you like classic dark psychological thrillers (many have been mentioned in reviews) - which I do - then go see it. In either case, go see it with your eyes and mind open.

For me, a triumph, and a solid 10/10.

I know Joaquin's performance is being compared to previous film incarnations but for my money his Arthur is 1000 times more convincing than Dudley Moore's.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    good actor is Joaquin, not so sure if he's got the most solid body of work, butI really enjoyed Walk the Line, don't know if he nails Johnny because I don't really know much about the man in black himself but I thought it was a great film

his Commodus in Gladiator is sublime, that's a great example of a true, traditional, hammy bad guy, love it
  • tony99 said:
    good actor is Joaquin, not so sure if he's got the most solid body of work, butI really enjoyed Walk the Line, don't know if he nails Johnny because I don't really know much about the man in black himself but I thought it was a great film

his Commodus in Gladiator is sublime, that's a great example of a true, traditional, hammy bad guy, love it
    What quantifies such an observation?  He's been around for a while and had some exceptional roles over the years, aside from the ones you mention I think his PTA films are memorable, 'The Master' in particular.  His back catalogue doesn't seem as extensive as some others with a career as long as his but after finding out about the cult he grew up in it's fairly impressive he's still alive.  
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited October 2019
    DiscoStu said:
    Saw Joker last night. It deserves all the plaudits and some of the criticism it's received. The best piece of cinema I've seen in years - the performances, the story, the cinematography, the score, everything. It's disturbing and mesmerising at the same time and emotionally it had me from the very beginning. I've been trying to find faults with it all day and I actually can't put my finger on anything.
    Yeah, if you're after yet another superhero film with loads loads of fight sequences, CGI and spandex then you may be disappointed. If however you like classic dark psychological thrillers (many have been mentioned in reviews) - which I do - then go see it. In either case, go see it with your eyes and mind open.

For me, a triumph, and a solid 10/10.

I know Joaquin's performance is being compared to previous film incarnations but for my money his Arthur is 1000 times more convincing than Dudley Moore's.
    It took me a few days to appreciate some of the more nuanced aspects of the film in particular the political arc of the films, which for my perceptions are more rooted in a very well executed denouement. 

It really is an exceptional piece of film making. 

It also references Bob Monkhouse (explicitly) and I'm 99.9% sure there's a reference to Louis CK as well.  
    tony99 said:

What quantifies such an observation?  He's been around for a while and had some exceptional roles over the years, aside from the ones you mention I think his PTA films are memorable, 'The Master' in particular.  His back catalogue doesn't seem as extensive as some others with a career as long as his but after finding out about the cult he grew up in it's fairly impressive he's still alive.  
    well it's not really an observation is it, as I say I'm not sure, because I literally don't know what roles he's taken, I haven't seen many of his films, but I do like the ones that I have
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    The new Diego Maradona documentary. He's a proper flawed genius.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Freebird said:
    It was quite touching at times, but amongst some other HBO documentaries it wasn't exceptional. Still - well worth a watch. Agreed with your statement.
    Freebird said:
    It was quite touching at times, but amongst some other HBO documentaries it wasn't exceptional. Still - well worth a watch. Agreed with your statement.
    where can I see this and is it in spanish?