Advice re pick/plectrums please.

What's Hot

Comments

• I've also settled on the Dunlop tortex 0.73mm's. A happy medium between strumming and single note playing, it sits right for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As well as the regular Dunlop Tortex  mentioned above, Dunlop do a range of "Gel" picks which are good. The green med/light is probably a touch thicker than your current pick.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/gels-green-medium-light-pick/
  • I've also settled on the Dunlop tortex 0.73mm's. A happy medium between strumming and single note playing, it sits right for me.
    Thanks.
  • jellyroll said:
    As well as the regular Dunlop Tortex  mentioned above, Dunlop do a range of "Gel" picks which are good. The green med/light is probably a touch thicker than your current pick.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/gels-green-medium-light-pick/
    Looks interesting. Thanks.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2289
    Another vote for Dunlop Tortex 0.73mm (yellow) - I like the texture, which is moderately grippy.
  • Keefy said:
    Another vote for Dunlop Tortex 0.73mm (yellow) - I like the texture, which is moderately grippy.
    Popular choice.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    A favourite pick with many years ago was a felt plectrum. It had its own distinctive sound described by many back then as "mellow". However, they are quite thick, and I mention them because the OP mentioned mellow :) 
  • Mellish said:
    A favourite pick with many years ago was a felt plectrum. It had its own distinctive sound described by many back then as "mellow". However, they are quite thick, and I mention them because the OP mentioned mellow :) 
    Thank you. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one.
    They're still made and Google search will bring them up :) 
  • jimkehoe said:
    Mellish said:
    Thank you. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one.
    Just be a bit careful, I have some felt picks for ukulele, and I tried one on my acoustic guitar - it sounded quite nice and mellow, but shredded the pick. So just check whether any you get are intended for steel strings, as there may be different kinds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Good point @Mattharrier. That could well be the case :) 
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1514
    I seem to remember that felt picks were meant for bass guitars.
    Not sure @rogd.i know some acoustic guitarists used them way back when. I would guess that they wear faster but I could be wrong :) 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    In addition to my post earlier about using Dunlop picks of various colour / thicknesss, the ones I use are the triangle ones, which mean they are flat
    which allows me to do something I’ve not seen other do / talk about, 
    and that is to use 2 at the same time , when strumming a steel string acoustic.
    It is surprisingly easy (I cam across it by accident) and it gives a more jangly , thicker sound because you have 2 tips (or a tip and a bit of side) occurring at the same time 
    you can get some nice sounds doing the same with electric and reverb / delay / chorus as well

flat picking isn’t as easy tho
    @jimkehoe. Be aware that felt picks are much thicker, feel a bit odd. I'd buy a single rather than send off for a pack :) 
  • Mellish said:
    @jimkehoe. Be aware that felt picks are much thicker, feel a bit odd. I'd buy a single rather than send off for a pack :) 
    I think I’ll explore other possibilities first but certainly not discounting the possibility.
    @sev112. Do you mean Dunlop Ultex? They're triangles. I find they're easier to hold because of the larger surface area :) 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    @mellish, yes triangle but Tortx, as they are coloured for thickness. I have some ultex ones but they are the same colour so can’t quickly pick up the one I want
    @sev112. That's the beauty of the Tortex, the colour tells you. I favour the red and the orange, but that's just because I can't get used to 1mm or up. I like to feel a bit of give (flex) :)