Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anybody seen Dune yet?

What's Hot

Comments

• BrioBrio Frets: 1849
     I have to say, there feels like quite a bit of Giger inspired design as well which is nice to see.

Well he did do a lot of concept work for the previous generation..And of course he won't be sending them any bills.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Brio said:
     I have to say, there feels like quite a bit of Giger inspired design as well which is nice to see.

Well he did do a lot of concept work for the previous generation..And of course he won't be sending them any bills.

I don't think he did anything for Lynch's Dune, but of course he famously worked on Jodorowsky's Dune, a group from which was pretty much the creative force behind Alien.

Interestingly some of his Dune stuff was realised in a japanese advert. It was either the Baron or the Baron's mobile fortress.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a real soft spot for the Lynch version. Yes it had it's flaws (Sting), but I loved the fat floating man, the visuals and the design. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I’m currently reading the book before I watch the film. It’s incredibly dense, but what an insane imagination. The lack of hand holding is savage. 
  • westfordwestford Frets: 581
    Saw it today and enjoyed it. Haven’t read the book or seen the Lynch film, but can see how they must have inspired other films and books.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Loved it !

No spoilers, but f*ck me that was loud !  Put in earplugs halfway through.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    bbill335 said:
    seen it twice, once imax and once on regular. imax was much, much better. not that the film is suddenly bad on not-imax, but the difference in colour depth was substantial. i can see people coming out of a regular screening like mine and thinking "wait, weren't those guys supposed to have bright blue eyes or something?"
    I'll wait for part 2 and see them together.
    don't be daft, just see it if you're interested!
    Would you read half a book if the second half wasn't even confirmed to be on the way?
    if it was good, then yeah, coz i'm not a daft weirdo! i have watched a lot of TV series that got cancelled and left things unresolved. do i wish i hadn't bothered? no! coz it was good! endings and resolutions are hardly ever the best bit of a story anyway!
  • Just back from seeing it. Most enjoyable, aiming at being faithful to the important bits of the book. Some imaginative visualisations of things I hadn’t tried to picture in my head in the book. Occasionally lost some dialogue behind the sound effects. The only fault for me was the final scene and Chani's "Hollywood-eqsue" final words to Paul. 

Bring on part 2! 
  • Just back from seeing it. Most enjoyable, aiming at being faithful to the important bits of the book. Some imaginative visualisations of things I hadn’t tried to picture in my head in the book. Occasionally lost some dialogue behind the sound effects. The only fault for me was the final scene and Chani's "Hollywood-eqsue" final words to Paul. 

Bring on part 2! 
    She actually said that... like in a Abe Lincoln at the end of Bill and Ted's presentation saying "Party on dudes!"?
  • Just watched it in IMAX.

Read the book and watched the Lynch movie in the 80's.

Loved every minute of it.

No spoilers, and can't wait for part 2.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I just got back from the cinema, and I thought it was terrible. It lacked political nuance while failing to capture the significance of Paul's journey and the magnitude of what he was. Little effort was made in making any of the characters meaningful, none of the relationships had any sense of profundity, and it either seemed to skim or miss our parts that gave Herbert's novel so much depth. It seemed the important frameworks Herbert painstakingly crafted were upheld weakly by Villeneuve's vision. Overall, a laborious yet lackluster attempt made it difficult to care for the story in the way I had done with the book. An average adaptation that took the best part of 3 hours to fall apart in the sand. Disappointing. 1/5
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1497
    I think one of the most underspoken details that has been well adapted from the books was Villeneuve showing that the future is constantly being rewritten in Paul's visions. Most obviously through the visions of Jamis. A really small thing, but perhaps an indication of the detail that Villeneuve is trying to tell without resorting the Lynch's inner monologues.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    beed84 said:
    failing to capture the significance of Paul's journey
    This bit I agree with. The one nod to it was the Reverend Mother’s voiceover that “Paul Atreides must die” - it just sounded like a death threat rather than the exhortation that Paul must deny what he once was - to himself change - to become the KH 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    Also I really really wanted a modern take on the “big worm guy guild navigator” scene - not just a dude in a helmet 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Watched it last night was excited to watch it, was still surprised- thank shai halud I didn't wait to watch that on the small screen!

15 mins from the end,  I thought "I remember reading this bit in the book, the night before my first son was born" - he was sat beside me watching it and is 22 - I've reread the book several times in the intervening decades and not recalled that or the pattern on the back of  playing cards we played waiting for it to all start.

I can't really point to one thing I'd change it was excellent    
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Enjoyed the visuals and the authentic feeling world building. The script left me feeling no emotional connection to the characters though, to the extent that it was hard to care about them. Felt it needed more dialogue and backstory to make that connection. Hopefully part 2 (I will go see it) fulfills the potential that there is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    I'll just re-post what I said in the 'films' thread because I haven't changed my mind after a couple of days...
    ICBM said:

Stunningly good - it really captures what I’ve had in my head for the last forty years. It’s not perfect - there’s too much detail in the book that would be very hard to translate to film, even one as deliberately long as this one, given that it’s only half the first book - but it captures the atmosphere and the main plot points I remember almost to a tee.

I must re-read the book, in fact…

Probably too soon to give a score since it’s only the first part, but I can’t think of a noticeable flaw in the film itself - if there is one it’s the slightly laboured back story explanations, but even those are cleverly done and probably essential if you haven’t read the book.
    I understand some of the reservations mentioned here, although I'm not sure I agree - the book itself (although this is from memory) has some flaws, not least that some of the characters are a bit two-dimensional or caricatured. For me that doesn't really take away its magic - the fact that I remembered so much of the detail after not having read it for forty years says a lot, I think. The atmosphere of the book and the pretty well-done self-consistency of the story and the technology needed for has translated pretty well to the film, I think - it's at least as well done as I thought it could be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    I've been to see it twice at the cinema now, I may go back again. I thought it was visually stunning and beautifully executed throughout. Feels really grown up which is sorely lacking in the majority of scifi movies. I am a fan of the Lynch film but this is so much better. Can't wait for the next one. I really loved BR 2049 too, DV is doing some really good work.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4643
    Have just watched both versions back to back. My observations.
    The 1984 version is actually better at explaining the back story (especially the directors cut with the extended intro).
    I personally think the characterisation is actually a lot better than the new version. Easier to identify with the characters they come across as a little more human. dare I say they acting is actually a bit better.
    Whilst the new version is closer to the books and a cinematic masterpiece, there is far too much gazing into space, and Jessica is not such a weak character in the book (she always looks like she it going to burst into tears)