The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited January 2014

Doesnt surprise me at all - probably a lot more gone on behind closed doors at the BBC too.
    This kind of conjecture isn't really useful is it?

Have you any insight into the BBC?

Idle speculation is all very good for contributing something nebulous to a conversation, but the problem is absolute fallacies get introduced into the common consciousness this way and before you know it, it's become accepted fact.

The Beeb is a woolly liberal type of place to work, the BBC trust sacked someone for lying about the winning name of a kitten for Blue Peter... (his PC had crashed so he took the name most popular when he'd looked an hour before)... they stopped bands recording their practices on Later, and replaying these if the live version was duff.. they sack people for the slightest whiff of impropriety - (2 people complained about Russell Brand's prank call to Andrew Sachs... then the Daily Wail readers supposedly replayed it on iPlayer and complained) the reailty is the iPlayer stats didn't show a sharp rise in people listening in ... they sacked the presenters for that.. Anthea Turner was sacked for advertising chocolates in her wedding photos...

Seems a bit odd to imagine the Beeb is more culpable than other corporations - I know of at least one conviction in a top Pharma... ironically the BBC is very transparent using it's own media whereas other companies can hush it up.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    New trailer .. some interesting new monsters but yet again the Daleks .. time to pension them off. The new Doctor looks more threatening and has more gravitas than the last two ... August reboot.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26620
    Oooooo.

Now that looks interesting. Plenty of extremely good implications in that trailer - not necessarily the monsters, but perhaps the idea that the Doctor's going to try to go back to face (and fix) his mistakes? Looks like it could be a much darker series, which I'm definitely in favour of.
    <space for hire>
  • Yeh, i'm looking forward to this series.
    I think he's gonna be good - poss along the lines of Pertwee.
    And....DrWho without the Daleks is unthinkable!
  • Also,
    In that trailer he says he's over 2000 years old.
    Have i missed something cause i didnt think he was supposed to be that old?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26620
    edited July 2014
    Also,
    In that trailer he says he's over 2000 years old.
    Have i missed something cause i didnt think he was supposed to be that old?
    I think that's kind of the point. Although...he did age an awful lot in the last episode of the previous series - didn't he spend a few hundred years on that planet? He was supposed to be around 1300 by the time that one started, too.

EDIT: Okay, a bit of research later - by the time he left Amy and Rory, he said he was 1200 years old. He spent 900 years there, apparently (there's a book which fills out the time between when he arrived on Trenzalore and when he got his new regenerations). So yep...2100 (or thereabouts).
    <space for hire>
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    I hope they've got rid of some of the silliness and pointless running around.Agree some more darker stories would be welcome and it appears from that trailer that's the way it's heading.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    But without silliness and pointless running around, it wouldn't be Dr Who!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Anyone download the leaked scripts and video yet?

I was tempted but not sure if I want spoilers or not.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22162
    Capaldi is going to rock. 

New trailer .. the reviews of the screening in London were very positive .. no more pointing, shouting and running around like a headless chicken ..

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Capaldi is going to rock. 
    Exactly this!

A darkly funny Doctor Who appeals greatly.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    Having just watched the first couple of episodes - as pre-release screeners so the CGI isn't in place properly, I must confess that I think I'm going to like Capaldi. 

They've stripped away the heartthrob aspect that they had with Tennant and Smith and given him more of the grumpiness of Pertwee or Ecclestone which is quite welcome. 

Interestingly they are letting him be Scottish whereas Tennant had to suppress his accent.
    The first episode there isa lot of the usual post regeneration finding himself, whilst in the second episode he seems to find his stride a bit more.

Hopefully for the future, they are going to stop the will he be the assistant's boyfriend type stuff, and hopefully they will tone down the melodrama

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Lixarto said:
    @Lixarto Like the graphics, hate the music [sounds cheap IMHO]. I like the original 1960s version.

Isn't this the fan who ended up getting the job on the graphics for the show? I think I read that his idea for the clocks etc has been used.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Yes, that's his original version.

Obviously, that isn't the music in the final version.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Lixarto said:
    Yes, that's his original version.

Obviously, that isn't the music in the final version.
    OK .... the titles are good.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I'd love to see Malcolm Tucker as Dr Who for something like Comic Relief.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    scrumhalf said:
    Brilliant idea but it could never happen as dr who is primarily a kids program.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    scrumhalf said:
    like this?