The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    edited November 2013
    Like the doctor does himself, the series is made up as it goes along (and always has been, apparently, after seeing "An Adventure..."
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Let's face it, if 3 Doctor Whos can't work out when a door is unlocked, then maybe the whole species has a little number trouble.  Any way it took Clara, a mere slip of a girl, to actually save Gallifrey.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Now this is cool .. Doctor Who fans set up petition to name newly-discovered planet 'Gallifrey' after home of the Time Lords - and it's already got 80,000 signatures.

OK it's the Daily Fail ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2521365/Doctor-Who-fans-petition-newly-planet-Gallifrey-home-Time-Lord.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4994
    edited December 2013
    Fretwired said:
    Now this is cool .. Doctor Who fans set up petition to name newly-discovered planet 'Gallifrey' after home of the Time Lords - and it's already got 80,000 signatures.

OK it's the Daily Fail ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2521365/Doctor-Who-fans-petition-newly-planet-Gallifrey-home-Time-Lord.html
    But it already has a name, HD 106906 b ;)

Very interesting planetary discovery though.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Lost tapes of the Dr Who composer - some interesting stuff from Delia Derbyshire including, amazingly, something that sounds like a modern dance track she recorded in the 1960's .. years ahead of her time .. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7512072.stm

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Fretwired said:
    Lost tapes of the Dr Who composer - some interesting stuff from Delia Derbyshire including, amazingly, something that sounds like a modern dance track she recorded in the 1960's .. years ahead of her time .. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7512072.stm
    I just love the idea of the original track being one signal sped up or slowed down - the instrument being played is more obviously time! How the Beeb can have denied her royalties (which the original composer pressed them to give her) will be another source of the corporation's shame..
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • I suppose the one thing you hope for in starting a new job, is that the predecessor ends on a real low note.  It's a damn sight easier to shine...

A good ep to sleep through.
  • I suppose the one thing you hope for in starting a new job, is that the predecessor ends on a real low note.  It's a damn sight easier to shine...

A good ep to sleep through.
    It wasn't the greatest, but I think that's a bit harsh. It did tie up a whole load of loose ends from the last few years, which means that the next series pretty much starts afresh (with the Doc looking for a way to bring back Gallifrey).

I do think it would've benefitted from being a two-hour feature, though, or perhaps a two-parter.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    edited December 2013 tFB Trader
    I think it was a very difficult tightrope to walk having to do the death of The Doctor in a Christmas special. 

Taking that into account I enjoyed it. Glad Matt Smith chose not tho chew the scenery at the end like Tennant. 

I suspect they would have done it differently if the 50th special hadn't forced their hands. 

I suspect they would have done it differently if the 50th special hadn't forced their hands. 
    This. I actually enjoyed it - shame about handles as he could have been an interesting sidekick. I think it could have benefited from being only 45 minutes. There was a bit of bloat.

• There was a bit of bloat.

That's Xmas day for you.

I got quite lost TBH ( phone going and various other things not helping) so I had to just go along for the ride , which was good enough.

Still not quite sure why Clara's outfit changed back and forth, something to do with the holograms presumably.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Still not quite sure why Clara's outfit changed back and forth, something to do with the holograms presumably.

Doctor Who is all about the outfits. My daughter said that Clara's outfits were the best thing about the program.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Did anyone catch what Clara fessed up to at Christmas when the truth field was in effect?

As she has had many different lives (well sorta) and has been seen near all of the Doctor's including allegedly telling the 1st doc which TARDIS to steal.

Moffat may be working up to an epic arc here.
  • johnnyurq said:
    Did anyone catch what Clara fessed up to at Christmas when the truth field was in effect?

As she has had many different lives (well sorta) and has been seen near all of the Doctor's including allegedly telling the 1st doc which TARDIS to steal.

Moffat may be working up to an epic arc here.
    I missed the exact words, but realised it was important.  As they didn't come back to it last night, i think you might be right that it will form part of a story arc.  Lix might be able to confirm that.

I bloody hate these complicated story arcs. Just tell a decent story .. it's interesting that the episodes voted the most popular didn't involve story arcs or tons of CGI then end of time style battles. Matt Smith's was the Doctor's wife which I thought excellent.

• The best Dr Who episode of recent times by a long way was Blink. No CGI IIRC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(Doctor_Who)
    johnnyurq said:
    The allegations have been doing the rounds for years .. as you say disturbing.

• Doesnt surprise me at all - probably a lot more gone on behind closed doors at the BBC too.