The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Lixarto;90484" said:
    Because you love your family even when you don't like them perhaps?
    perhaps... and then again...

so if Hurt thinks he'll forget, Ecclestone didn't remember, Tennant knew he'd forget too and only Matt Jones remembers then Capaldi certainly won't remember unless Matt Jones tells him before the end at Trensalor which'd still mean that Ecclestone and Tennant would have known...

But this can't be the case or people would be tuning in to see an angsty Doctor who's mistaken about the destruction of his planet and species... which hasn't happened.. and the audience knows that... it'd be too confusing.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't do youtube right now, but I assume I haven't actually spotted a big hole in the whole thing and it's all explained.
    It is, Moffatt made a mini episode called The Night of The Doctor, which shows McGann regenerate in to a young Hurt.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Can't do youtube right now, but I assume I haven't actually spotted a big hole in the whole thing and it's all explained.
    It is, Moffatt made a mini episode called The Night of The Doctor, which shows McGann regenerate in to a young Hurt.
    I thought everyone had seen it ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2013
    Can't do youtube right now, but I assume I haven't actually spotted a big hole in the whole thing and it's all explained.
    OK, I actually watched that last night....but what about back at the start of the Ecclestone era, when they re-booted the series. Didn't that start off with a regeneration scene then, or was that a handy opportunity that the current writters managed to use to shoe-horn in an extra doctor?
  • OK, I actually watched that last night....but what about back at the start of the Ecclestone era, when they re-booted the series. Didn't that start off with a regeneration scene then, or was that a handy opportunity that the current writters managed to use to shoe-horn in an extra doctor?
    No - there was no regeneration scene at the beginning of the Eccleston series. I seem to recall that there was some controversy over whether the McGann Doctor was even part of the canon because of it.
    <space for hire>
  • I was under the impression that McGann had only just regenerated into Eccleston before the start of 'Rose', hence the unsureness of his looks etc.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was under the impression that McGann had only just regenerated into Eccleston before the start of 'Rose', hence the unsureness of his looks etc.
    Indeed, only now we a) know it was Hurt -> Eccleston, and b) have an exact timeline for when it happened relative to the Time War.
    <space for hire>
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    I thought it was the case that the TIme Lords limited the number of regenerations, not that they couldn't have them?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I watched it over the weekend, and I've not really seen it much since Tom Baker had that stupid metal dog.

Watching David Tennant and Matt Smith, I thought they were both doing Richard Hammond impressions. If John Hurt was Clarkson, you've almost got the next Top Gear Challenge.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    Has it ever been conclusively stated that Hartnell is even the first doctor? 

Presumably there could be others before him.

From what I remember they've played fast and loose with regenerations in the past anyway so I doubt 13 matters. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Fretwired said: Is this happening then?
    No, I made it up.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Has it ever been conclusively stated that Hartnell is even the first doctor?
    Yes, in "The Five Doctors" if nowhere else.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Lixarto said:
    Fretwired said: Is this happening then?
    No, I made it up.
    @Lixarto You bastard ... :-)

I do think the outside of the TARDIS should change ... a fully functional TARDIS could add something to series as in the excellent episode the Doctor's Wife.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    (Sorry)

He fixed the Chameleon Circuit in the Colin Baker days - which was anticlimactic after being unable to fix it in the fantastic "Logopolis".

I'll agree that "The Doctor's Wife" was excellent though :)
  • Lixarto said:
    (Sorry)

He fixed the Chameleon Circuit in the Colin Baker days - which was anticlimactic after being unable to fix it in the fantastic "Logopolis".

I'll agree that "The Doctor's Wife" was excellent though :)
    I do think that they missed a great opportunity in The Doctor's Wife to explain the repeatedly flaky nature of the Chameleon Circuit with an offhand reference by the TARDIS to the fact that she liked her current look.
    <space for hire>
    edited November 2013
    There's an (Americanised) explanation in the McGann movie:

"The cloaking device got stuck on a previous misadventure; I like it like that."
  • I really enjoyed the special.

I think people will find regeneration questions easier to resolve when they realise that all the evidence suggests that Steven Moffatt:

Does.
    Not.
    Give.
    A.
    Shit.

About such things.  Any inconsistencies or plot holes are, if he feels so inclined, papered over with 'The Doctor lies,' or something similar.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    Indeed letting cannon get in the way of story would be idiotic and Who is massively contradictory all  over the place anyway. 
    Indeed - the old "Was it the 1970s or 1980s?" got trotted out again on Saturday.
  • Isn't 12, in an infinite universe, or even 13, too much?

That'll do pig, that'll do...

littlegreenman < My tunes here...