The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• axisus said:
    +1 on that. I hate all the OTT settings, it was Russell T Davis's mantra: The whole world is in danger!!!! The whole universe is in danger!!!! All life in the entire galaxy is in danger!!!!!!!!!! Every parallel universe that ever existed is in danger!!!!!!! All of time and history in every parallel universe and everything else I may have forgotten is in danger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...... right, where can we go next ........

Uh huh. That was the RTD way. Everything had to be thye whole universe, end of time, the humans at the end of the universe in Utopia, 13 squillion Toclafane, all that bullshit in the Time War about the Nightmare Child, the Skaro Degradations, blah blah blah... 

The Pertwee era realised it's ruddy hard to do end of the world/universe scenarios on a budget that wouldn't cover the coke and hookers bill for a House of Lords Member. You have to haul it back. Now the Moff used to haul it back. Sure, end of the universe dangers with the whole Pandorica thing but you don't show much of it. This season... shudder. 20 million Zygons. End of this, end of that, a planet full of Daleks made to look feeble. And they've made a mention of Captain Jack Harkness. 

There is the horrible fear that we could have a regeneration at the end of this season. Moffat starts glowing and turning into RTD... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think if it's going to disappear up it's own bum-hole there should be an episode where Jenna gets Cankles. RTD and Moffat should make cameos and James Cordon should be shot in the face with a bazooka that fires bricks... that last bit needn't be a plot point or even appear in the final cut, so long as it happens.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

I watched the episode last night after experiencing the palpable disappointment of Walking Dead box sets disappearing from Virgin Media...

So I watched it. It should be called Doctor Why.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    With all that said, I still think that The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit ranks among the best stories of the new run, even though it very definitely sits in the "all reality is in danger!" camp.

It's probably the only one, though.
    The one on the bus (I forget its name) was pretty good - simple and atmospheric - no scope for running around like a looney
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    Jalapeno said:
    With all that said, I still think that The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit ranks among the best stories of the new run, even though it very definitely sits in the "all reality is in danger!" camp.

It's probably the only one, though.
    The one on the bus (I forget its name) was pretty good - simple and atmospheric - no scope for running around like a looney
    And Michelle Ryan.
    Speaking of Michelle Ryan the London bus episode was ace

Feedback
    is not the one you meant??
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337

Jalapeno said:
    Speaking of Michelle Ryan the London bus episode was ace
     I think it was called Pitch Black Lite
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    is not the one you meant??
    No, think it was "midnight" - London bus was planet of the dead or indeed pitch black lite

Feedback
    Ah well, either way it reminded me of how hot Michelle Ryan is in anything non-east enders. I really liked the Bionic Woman remake she was in too
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    ...I know this is going to happen next week, and all the dead characters won't be dead any more.
    I wouldn't rely on Clara not being dead. Jenna is leaving…

I quite like Zygon Clara anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;842578" said:
    english_bob said:...I know this is going to happen next week, and all the dead characters won't be dead any more.

I wouldn't rely on Clara not being dead. Jenna is leaving…

I quite like Zygon Clara anyway.
    Yes, but at the moment human Clara is definitely alive and living in a pod thing under London. I was thinking more of young miss Lethbridge-Stewart.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Moffatt's writing was superb when he did the sitcom "Coupling" which was a bit like friends - only much wittier and more adult in content. He's capable when he tries.

I too hate the end of the universe /Doctor at the centre of it all bullshit storylines. I much prefer the subtle stories , although the Dalek one was good fun this series.
    I really really like Capaldi as the Doctor (and I do applaud the guitar playing making an appearence)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I really really like Capaldi as the Doctor (and I do applaud the guitar playing making an appearence)
    Starting to dislike this too. Feels like it's being shoehorned in to every episode for no particular reason other than that somebody on the production team must think it looks cool. Why would a to-all-intents-and-purposes immortal, godlike alien in a universe that's been consistently godless and occasionally faintly anti-religious be playing "Amazing Grace"? Considering all the time he has, wouldn't he be better at it too?

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    edited November 2015
    english_bob;842964" said:
    Why would a to-all-intents-and-purposes immortal, godlike alien in a universe that's been consistently godless and occasionally faintly anti-religious be playing "Amazing Grace"? Considering all the time he has, wouldn't he be better at it too?

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Why not guitar, Dr (Troughton) Two played the recorder ?

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    He didn't play it every bloody episode. Had Tom Baker spent every episode offering aliens jelly babies, it would have worn thin very quickly. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Neither does the current doctor, maybe it just seems like it ....

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    He didn't play it every bloody episode. Had Tom Baker spent every episode offering aliens jelly babies, it would have worn thin very quickly. 

Jalapeno said:
    Neither does the current doctor, maybe it just seems like it ....

It's certainly worn thin very quickly.

I think the guitar was mercifully absent from the "Her-Off-Game-Of-Thrones" story, but has featured in one or other of the episodes of each of the other two-parters so far- Daleks, Fisher King, Zygons.

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure the Doctor had a sonic something that wasn't his bloody sunglasses in the last episode.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I like the guitar thing.