The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited October 2015
    Myranda said:
    better question is why all the companions don't understand baby... previously its been shown that the Tardis translates for everyone who has travelled in it - except where it allows for exposition, or in two proper instances - writings of Satan* and the co-ordinates on the inside of the hearse ship this season

Probably because the TARDIS can only translate languages, and babies aren't speaking a language - the Doctor is translating their intent. I'm not sure where I came across that nugget, but I'm pretty sure that was the explanation.

Good call about Satan, though. He was the ultimate Big Bad, probably the scariest of them all, and even the original story didn't really fully explore what that meant.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Good call about Satan, though. He was the ultimate Big Bad, probably the scariest of them all, and even the original story didn't really fully explore what that meant.
    An RTD era story that promised lots and didn't explore anything? Surely not!

I thought last night's episode was absolute crap after two storming episodes. Ridiculous Vikings, a shit villain, electric fucking eels in Scandinavia, and a small medical kit can produce immortality. And hurrah, Moffat has a new Mysterious Girl to play with following on from River Song, Amy Pond, and Clara. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    digitalscream said:

Good call about Satan, though. He was the ultimate Big Bad, probably the scariest of them all, and even the original story didn't really fully explore what that meant.
    Definitely one of the best ever episodes, but it always puzzled me how such a primitive civilisation would have had the power and technology to imprison Satan on a planet in a gravity vortex in orbit around a black hole.

And you can't just kill Satan like that anyway, it would disturb the balance of the universe or something...

Although it wasn't really Satan, it was Eddie :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    ICBM said:
    digitalscream said:

Definitely one of the best ever episodes, but it always puzzled me how such a primitive civilisation would have had the power and technology to imprison Satan on a planet in a gravity vortex in orbit around a black hole.

And you can't just kill Satan like that anyway, it would disturb the balance of the universe or something...

Although it wasn't really Satan, it was Eddie :).
    Well, you say primitive - they existed "before time itself" we don't know if they were primitive - all we saw were cave drawings, and a moon in orbit around a blackhole... and hey the race survived the big bang, so they must have been doing something right

I personally loved the idea that the concept of Satan or a devil in all cultures throughout the universe came about from it's mere existence imprisoned for all time in some dark corner of the universe ... the psychic overflow from its dormant mind enough to poison the sub-conscience of every living thing.. and then to kill it off :( should have resurfaced long before the daleks come back again...

I thought last night's episode was absolute crap after two storming episodes. Ridiculous Vikings, a shit villain, electric fucking eels in Scandinavia, and a small medical kit can produce immortality. And hurrah, Moffat has a new Mysterious Girl to play with following on from River Song, Amy Pond, and Clara. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I think she *is* clara
  • JRLJRL Frets: 16
    Myranda said:

I think she *is* clara
    That was my first instinct too, have to wait and see whether she ages at all though...
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited October 2015

Was that episode called Viking Sandwich? Shit Sandwich more like.

So I'm going to start with something nice, then some bad stuff and then a nice thing to end up on, so people don't feel too upset.

It was really good that there was no guitar in this episode. That's the nice thing.

Legendary Warriors we've never heard of before... it's a show about time travel, you can't bolt on things like this.

A bit of kit to make people immortal - not heard of that before. Surely someone like Davros would have a bit of kit like that, he'd seek it out... if only to do something about the sewers... which we never knew about before, either...

Electric Eels generate 600v of electricity hardly enough to lift one helmet 30 feet in the air. Even with 2 barrels worth. The eels would be dead from the first charge anyway.

Besides Electric Eels come from South America - known to the Vikings as "Vineland the yet to be discovered" ....

And there was no evidence the alien armour was ferric.

At least one of the fearless alien warriors freaking out and teleporting away wasn't even wearing a helmet.

As for why the Doctor has that face, totally unnecessary, probably better not to even refer to the Pompei episodes - it had a good gag about "T.K. Maximus" but that was about it.. tenuous and up it's own arse. Are they going to explain how that face appears in Torchwood too? I hope not, but so far this series is as dreadful as the worst Torchwood had to offer... and that was very bad.

To be continued, please make it stop!

Now I'll say a nice thing, I for one was very greatful the sonic sun-glasses got broken.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    frankus said:

Now I'll say a nice thing, I for one was very greatful the sonic sun-glasses got broken.

They're Arnie Schwarzenegger glasses .. they'll be back.

Next week's episode looks like camper version of the Blackadder III episode in which Blackadder and Baldrick were forced into being a highwayman and a horse respectively. The trailer looks dire.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankus said:

I for two was hoping that was the end of the sonic sunglasses. I almost cheered.

But no. The pissing things still worked after they were snapped in half.

The much-trailed Maisie Williams appearance was let down by the fact that she's not actually a very good actor, but it looks likely she'll be back- I don't remeber hearing the line from the series trailer.

Kind of a dumb episode this week, but at least not so confusingly, incoherently dumb as the previous one.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I'd just like to point out...I'm watching The Satan Pit right now, and I can categorically say that the whole series has lost a lot. What we call good episodes now are a pale shadow of good episodes from the first couple of years.

It makes me feel a bit sad, actually.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • If she is Clara then it still doesn't make her interesting. One of the most anodyne companions in Who history. 

Maisie Williams is back on Saturday as the Woman who lived .. she's a highway woman in 17c England.

Even the trailer is shite ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p035d1lq

• I'm starting to think that the programme should be on CBBC rather than BBC1. As said above, it seems to be descending into Torchwood quality TV. Shame really.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    Masie Williams can act, it was a very crappy and lazy script.

Holograms again I note ....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'm starting to think that the programme should be on CBBC rather than BBC1. As said above, it seems to be descending into Torchwood quality TV. Shame really.

I think it's skipped Torchwood and gone straight for Sarah Jane's Adventures: "quick to the Tardis... quick to the villains lair... quick to the Tardis again... oh no the Villain is standing in our way... use the sonic dildo"

Do you know who'd make a great Doctor? Angela Lansbury..

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    edited October 2015
    I've got the last three episodes on my Sky planner which I haven't got round to watching yet.My eldest son who has always been a big fan but even he has lost interest and as we always watched them together I reckon it may now be time to sack it off.We're watching more out of habit now and boredom has set in.There's too much other good stuff that has recently come back on (Homeland,The Walking Dead,Fargo,American Horror Story to name a few) to waste time watching dross.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Mixed reception in the Weary household for tonight's. Youngest son left the room, oldest son thought it was alright, his girlfriend looked bored, MrsTheWeary thought it was pants and I quite liked it. Quite hard not to keep thinking about Interview With a Vampire. There was some science programme on Radio 4 which asked what it would be like if we could live for hundreds of years and they said you'd lose your memories, effectively live several lives rather than one long one because we aren't great at keeping memories for long periods. Obviously the Dr Who people listen to Radio 4. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    Quite hard not to keep thinking about Interview With a Vampire.
    And Highlander.

Didn't think it was great, to be honest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I thought it was quite interesting.
    Does this mean rufus will be reappearing?
    I'm left wondering if maisy will be in the new spinoff or torchwood especially as the doc mentioned captain jack.

Jalapeno said:
    Masie Williams can act, it was a very crappy and lazy script.

Holograms again I note ....
    Not on the evidence of tonight's episode. Some interesting ideas and dialogue lost in a Blackadderesque plot with a cast member from Cats. Utter garbage. I'm also doubtful that there would have been a diverse multi-racial group in an Oxfordshire village of the 1600s. But worse than all of that .. as I predicted .. the sunglasses are back.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited October 2015
    ICBM said:
    Quite hard not to keep thinking about Interview With a Vampire.
    And Highlander.

Didn't think it was great, to be honest.
    I was thinking particularly of the vampire girl trapped as a perpetual pre pubescent , although it turns out Masie Williams and her character are a bit older than I thought ( about 14 I thought).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.