The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
      I kept watching the last series and it was dire , apart from the last two parter .  The first part was the best episode in a long time but the second - what happened ?  No surprise but it was pretty poor.   Peter Capaldi was great and it should have worked but the stories were terrible .   
        As suggested this could still be a hoax but i would have thought it a good twist if Michelle Gomez was really the next Doctor and not The Master at all , she was quirky enough for it to work .
        But if correct  it seems they have cast a woman just to be pc  ?   
       And what has being gay/lesbians got to do with Doctor Who , it is ridiculous , just writing stuff into a show to be pc. It isn't needed  . Bill didn't need to be gay it didn't add to the show . Has anybody watched Supergirl ? That had potential but went downhill and every episode seemed to give about 20 minutes to Supergirl's sister's lesbian issues .      Why ?   This is tv . it is not real life we don't watch to be given lessons in  political correctness or diversity or whatever you want to call it  .
       Agreed with Fretwired above , give them shows where it is appropriate but these are kids shows really and only fantasy .
        Ok rant over but i have given up on Doctor Who , i'm out .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited July 2017
    Hmmmm. Trying to keep an open mind. Why though? Doctor Who is an established male character. Struggling with this one.  
    I suspect the correct answer is that Dr W is an established ALIEN character.    I think this is exactly what the show needs.  New writer and a new and very different doctor to shake thinks up.

Jodie Whittaker was brilliant in Broadchurch.  She's a good actor and Im looking forward to seeing where they take this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited July 2017
    Rabs said:

I liked her in Attack the Block... Not seen her in anything else... 

She was a wingey-winey wife in Broadchurch...or Broadcrutch as I liked to call it cos the plotline needing constantly propping up...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    axisus said:
    Mrs A is not amused. She was expecting male totty this time after aged Capaldi. 
    My wife's utterly incensed. I'm just annoyed, but she's got a proper rage on.

Funnily enough I'm not too bothered as long as the scripts are good, but the Mrs is right narked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593

Jodie Whittaker was brilliant in Broadchurch.  She's a good actor and Im toking forward to seeing where they take this.
    Eh? She was mugging and overacting all the way through, and just about all of her roles so far have basically been the the same angsty, whinging character.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24320
    I think it's great that they've chosen a female Dr Who.  Long overdue.  What genitalia the lead character has is irrelevant.  If you're deciding to boycott a program you previously enjoyed because the new lead has a vagina then you're an idiot.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    thumpingrug said

Im toking forward to seeing where they take this.
    I guess everything is better with a good smoke ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593
    edited July 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think it's great that they've chosen a female Dr Who.  Long overdue.  What genitalia the lead character has is irrelevant.  If you're deciding to boycott a program you previously enjoyed because the new lead has a vagina then you're an idiot.
    I think it's more likely that people will boycott it because - going on the show's recent history - swapping the gender of the main character is a substitute for finding some decent writers while guaranteeing that nobody can write a bad review of it. It's the TV writers' version of a Safe Space :P
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited July 2017
    Hmmmm. Trying to keep an open mind. Why though? Doctor Who is an established male character. Struggling with this one.  
    I suspect the correct answer is that Dr W is an established ALIEN character.    I think this is exactly what the show needs.  New writer and a new and very different doctor to shake thinks up.

Jodie Whittaker was brilliant in Broadchurch.  She's a good actor and Im toking forward to seeing where they take this.
    Same here.
    Not only an alien character but an alien that regenerates.
    If the Doctor can regenerate as a differently aged character then why not a differently gendered one?
    Or a different skin tone?

It would be weird to have a female Batman or male Wonder Woman because their gender is explicitly part of their identity but with the Doctor there is no explicit gender.
    There are very few characters that this could happen to and not be weird.

I wasn't a fan of the Capaldi-period scripts, although he seemed to do a fine job with what he had.
    If the writing can be as good as the Tennant period and we get a new spin on the series then it is a win in my books.

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    This. Plus, of course, Doctors don't have vaginas. That's nurses you're thinking of. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
     I have no strong feelings, but what I want is interesting stories well told. If chibnall thinks he can do that better with a woman than a bloke then all power to him. 

I was going to say "at least people will shut up about it now", but somehow I don't think that will be the case. More divisive than brexit?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
     I have no strong feelings, but what I want is interesting stories well told. If chibnall thinks he can do that better with a woman than a bloke then all power to him. 

I was going to say "at least people will shut up about it now", but somehow I don't think that will be the case. More divisive than brexit?
    Goddam remalers, harping on about exiting from vaginas. Pfft
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496
    I miss the days when the Timelord's greatest adversary wasn't gender politics but a poorly concealed actor in a painted duvet. 

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    I'm absolutely loving the saltiness of the tears this is causing. 

It's a TV show about an alien who is centuries old, regenerates form, and who until very recently was utterly assexual. The gender of the character has never been important. 

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    I would.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited July 2017

Emp_Fab said:
    No, I'll tell what it is .. lazy. Why not a black actor? Why not a disabled actor? If you were going have have a woman then why not choose a black actor? No, it's the old chummy North London set who run the BBC - we'll have a woman but we'll make sure she's one of us - white, middle class and good looking and ex-Broadchurch. The Doctor is quite a dark nasty person - he's far from perfect.

But hell why not call people idiots. I thought I was allowed an opinion. I didn't say you had to agree with it. And I said the sjow had been going downhill - I haven't enjoyed it. My decison to quit watching isn't wholly based of the choice of actor. I think this is is a gimmick. Mary Poppins didn't work as the Master and I'm not sure this will either.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'm absolutely loving the saltiness of the tears this is causing. 

It's a TV show about an alien who is centuries old, regenerates form, and who until very recently was utterly assexual. The gender of the character has never been important. 

The gender has been important is the past ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited July 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
     What genitalia the lead character has is irrelevant.  If you're deciding to boycott a program you previously enjoyed because the new lead has a vagina then you're an idiot.
    Settle down; she might not even have a vagina.
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    beed84 said:
    Emp_Fab said:
     What genitalia the lead character has is irrelevant.  If you're deciding to boycott a program you previously enjoyed because the new lead has a vagina then you're an idiot.
    Settle down; she might not even have a vagina.
    Do you mean she might have two? Like the hearts.