The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31651
    So was it any good? The trailers on Radio 4 made it sound like The Time Lord of Dibley. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23064
    p90fool said:
    So was it any good? The trailers on Radio 4 made it sound like The Time Lord of Dibley. 
    They certainly didn't sound very Dr Who-ish.  The bit of music at the end sounded like a holiday advert.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    p90fool said:
    Very good.

I'd better watch it as Whittaker is being hailed on social media as the greatest Doctor of the rebooted series and perhaps ever. Viewing figures are through the roof so the BBC's happy .. no recent Doctor has had anything like it .. let's see if it's a one-off or whether the viewing figures hold up.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23064
    edited October 2018
    People getting hyperbolic on Twitter?  Now there's a first.
    Philly_Q said:
    People getting hyperboic on Twitter?  Now there's a first.
    I wonder if they all work for the BBC .. ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    tFB Trader

Yeah I thought it was ok..  Didn't totally love it, didn't hate it....  Which I think for such an extreme reboot is a good thing..  A lot of even the most famous and popular shows can take a good season to really establish the characters and get going.. Ok this is Doctor Who so is already established in one way so they have that going for them..

So we will see.. Im happy to watch more and give it a good go.

The way they ended the last season of her falling out of the sky got totally avoided too as that was the big cliff hanger..  There was all the, hows she going to escape from that..  And in the end there was no escape, she just falls through the roof of a train haha  :) 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Rabs said:

The way they ended the last season of her falling out of the sky got totally avoided too as that was the big cliff hanger..  There was all the, hows she going to escape from that..  And in the end there was no escape, she just falls through the roof of a train haha  :) 

Actually that is a good point. That was a bit rubbish. 
  • Two episodes in and I still like it.  Though the Doc was a bit too desperate at the end though when she thought she had let them all down.  Not a particularly doctorish characteristic  

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Classic quarry in Wales type episode.

Yaz seems to have no character at all and again Bradley Walsh seems to be the best thing going.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • So close to being a good sci-fi story, and yet...totally devoid of actual meat on the story.

That said, the writing wasn't as awful as it was last week. I'm curious as to where it's going, but history is telling me to give up hope... ;)
    <space for hire>
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6720
    I've been wishing for Benjamin Zephaniah and/or Bhavna Limbachia, who's young but would have pulled great audiences. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    axisus said:
    TimmyO said:
    It's a kids' show. 

Love to see this kind of analysis of fucking Trumpton 
    I want to LOL and Wiz this!
    the guitar playing in Trumpton is cool
    play every note as if it were your first
    edited October 2018
    Times review wasn't good ... sounds like Who still has shaky scripts. I'll watch it later.

• Felt the last episode was preaching too much, idiots carry knives and guns bad etc. Jury still out on whether it’s better or worse but know I’m going to watch all of them just because. 
    Did however find the return of river song on iPlayer what a great episode!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Tough crowd you lot. I'm enjoying the series and I like the new feel. 

I have a good pal who is a massive fan of Classic Dr Who (as in the biggest fan ever!) and he hates it all since it came back with Russel T Davies. I would see him in tea breaks at work and he would always have a massive rant about everything that was wrong with the latest episode. I've basically stopped talking about Dr Who to him as all the negativity was spoiling it for me. I could easily rant about any given episode and how it could be better, but generally these days I prefer to just 'go with the flow' and enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    Felt the last episode was preaching too much, idiots carry knives and guns bad etc.
    Yep, and the 'stronger together' Brexit reference!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Brize said:
    Felt the last episode was preaching too much, idiots carry knives and guns bad etc.
    Really?  My admittedly vague recollections is that the Dr has always been essentially anti-weapons, all the way back to Pertwee and Baker (my era) and made no bones about it.

As to 'stronger together' reading that as a Brexit reference probably says more about the viewer than the writer/script.  It's just standard "co-operation better than isolation" trope that's marched on from the mists of time. Just because we read that into the text, doesn't mean that was the intention of the author ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Snags said:
    Brize said:
    Really?  My admittedly vague recollections is that the Dr has always been essentially anti-weapons, all the way back to Pertwee and Baker (my era) and made no bones about it.

As to 'stronger together' reading that as a Brexit reference probably says more about the viewer than the writer/script.  It's just standard "co-operation better than isolation" trope that's marched on from the mists of time. Just because we read that into the text, doesn't mean that was the intention of the author ...
    I've been watching Upstart Crow which quite unapologetically  throws in several minutes of anti Brexit ranting into it's comic skits so the subtlety of this may have passed me by. I think the anti guns, let's all work together stuff is typical of the modern era Dr Who. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited October 2018
    I've been watching Upstart Crow which quite unapologetically  throws in several minutes of anti Brexit ranting into it's comic skits so the subtlety of this may have passed me by. I think the anti guns, let's all work together stuff is typical of the modern era Dr Who. 
    I quite like Upstart Crow .. it does more than rant about Brexit ... lots of references to modern day from the appalling journey's by coach mimicking the recent train fiascos to the state of entertainment .. feeble brained people watching Big Brother.

Doctor Who didn't used to preach. The Doctor was always anti-war and didn't have/like weapons - have a good story and you can get a point across without preaching. This isn't a Doctor Who issue .. it's all over the BBC's output.

It didn't take long ....

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom