The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Fretwired said:
    Not going down well in the USA ... they can't understand the northern accents .. :-)
    How did they get through season 1 then?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Myranda said:
    Fretwired said:
    Not going down well in the USA ... they can't understand the northern accents .. :-)
    No idea .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Fretwired said:k
    Myranda said:
    Fretwired said:
    No idea .. :-)

Eeeeee lad, I've never read owt so bloody daft in meh life!....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Worth noting that ol' Bradders was, yet again, the best thing about the episode. I can't decide whether it's because he's got great acting chops or just because most of the rest of the cast haven't, but you could actually feel it when he didn't want to be there at the end.

I know we all took the piss when his casting was announced, but I genuinely think he's been the best thing about this series - he's definitely had the standout performance in all three episodes so far.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    edited October 2018 tFB Trader
    Worth noting that ol' Bradders was, yet again, the best thing about the episode. I can't decide whether it's because he's got great acting chops or just because most of the rest of the cast haven't, but you could actually feel it when he didn't want to be there at the end.

I know we all took the piss when his casting was announced, but I genuinely think he's been the best thing about this series - he's definitely had the standout performance in all three episodes so far.
    Agreed! I thought he would be a token comedy role, but he's actually a great actor. Based on the performances so far, I could actually see him as a credible Doctor Who ... 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299

1 - It seemed reasonably well paced, well made and the ending was quite touching. [ edits out bunch of spoilers]

2 - Could have been a lot worse but I’d rather they hadn’t. 
    1 - Seemed like a lot of unnecessary bits to me, and the Bad Guy seemed completely one-dimensional (just like the previous Bad Guy in ep 1). Given that he was the primary motivation behind the events of the episode, I was really hoping for more.

2 - Yeah, a pretty good summary.
    The bad guy had a bit of cheeky likeability if anything, probably not what you want to demonstrate in a racist mass murderer. 

Worth noting that ol' Bradders was, yet again, the best thing about the episode. I can't decide whether it's because he's got great acting chops or just because most of the rest of the cast haven't, but you could actually feel it when he didn't want to be there at the end.

I don’t know much about Bradley, I’d seen him on a couple of interviews where he very much played the clown so I didn’t have high expectations but very much the best thing in it so far. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I liked it. Good episode on the whole. I don't see moaning about the end music as a viable criticism. The baddie guy, that was rather intriguing when we didn't know what he was all about, I imagine that we will be seeing him again somewhere in the series. 

I just think that there's a lot of cup half empty people watching this. It's a well funded, entertaining and imaginative sci-fi series. Could it be better? Of course! Is it worth watching? Absolutely!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    I was watching it thinking "this is the episode where tFB peeps are going to go nuts about it being all preachy and right-on", so the responses to date are an interesting surprise :)

Of the three episodes so far it was the one that felt the most "educational" to me (teachy rather than preachy), and least light entertainment.  Certainly the one that I was least engaged with (although partly because it was clear there was no way they were going to mess with Rosa Parks' timeline, and partly because I was half doing something else anyway).

<pause before posting>
    Opening para not because I think people here are right-wing racist gits, but because of the tone and how they dealt with the subject matter.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    I don't like it. Far too PC. Frankie Boyle should be the next Doctor. That should shake things up a bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewton said:
    I don't like it. Far too PC. Frankie Boyle should be the next Doctor. That should shake things up a bit.
    I'd vote for Bill Burr.

"This planet is protected! You won't...ah, fuck it. Y'know what? Fill yer boots. See if I care."
    <space for hire>
  • I liked it, they've clearly been watching Timeless
  • i’m not impressed at all tbh so far, but i agree with the positive bradley walsh comments - he has surprised me how good he is at acting, a bit of a bernard cribbens type of role.
    Although clearly a good actress jodie doesnt fit the role for me, in fact the endless running around is doing my head in.
    Wonder what the viewer figures for this season are like so far.
  • Snags said:
    I was watching it thinking "this is the episode where tFB peeps are going to go nuts about it being all preachy and right-on", so the responses to date are an interesting surprise

Of the three episodes so far it was the one that felt the most "educational" to me (teachy rather than preachy), and least light entertainment.  Certainly the one that I was least engaged with (although partly because it was clear there was no way they were going to mess with Rosa Parks' timeline, and partly because I was half doing something else anyway).

<pause before posting>
    Opening para not because I think people here are right-wing racist gits, but because of the tone and how they dealt with the subject matter.

I didn't think it was preachy. It was the most traditional episode thus far and goes right back to the sort of emotional dilemmas explored by Hartnell and co in the Aztecs. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i’m not impressed at all tbh so far, but i agree with the positive bradley walsh comments - he has surprised me how good he is at acting, a bit of a bernard cribbens type of role.
    Although clearly a good actress jodie doesnt fit the role for me, in fact the endless running around is doing my head in.
    Wonder what the viewer figures for this season are like so far.
    Better than they were and the best launch since 2005. 

https://tellymix.co.uk/ratings/380016-ratings-doctor-who-strictly-come-dancing-and-x-factor-viewing-figures-3.html

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341

...  in fact the endless running around is doing my head in.

Not seen Dr Who before then?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11863
    Snags said:
    I was watching it thinking "this is the episode where tFB peeps are going to go nuts about it being all preachy and right-on", so the responses to date are an interesting surprise

<pause before posting>

I didn't think it was preachy. It was the most traditional episode thus far and goes right back to the sort of emotional dilemmas explored by Hartnell and co in the Aztecs. 

That was the comparison that occurred to me as well, a traditional historical.

Good new villain as well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It's not doing it for me ... I think the rebooted show is aimed at a different market and if the ratings are working then fine. The underlying scripts are still weak IMHO. The acting is fine .. Jody is good but unconvincing for me (it's the script and direction, not her). I haven't watched last Sunday's episode but I don't get the criticism as from day one Doctor Who had stories at key points in history.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Good old fashioned romp with metaphor and passing reference ( NDAs anyone?) rather than giving us a history lesson. I thought everyone was fine although you’d think the arachnid expert would know the difference between poisonous and venomous. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    tFB Trader
    Good old fashioned romp with metaphor and passing reference ( NDAs anyone?) rather than giving us a history lesson. I thought everyone was fine although you’d think the arachnid expert would know the difference between poisonous and venomous. 

Im not sure I can watch this episode.. Im totally arachnophobic...  Will I be able to watch any or it or should I just stay away and miss this week?
    Rabs said:

Im not sure I can watch this episode.. Im totally arachnophobic...  Will I be able to watch any or it or should I just stay away and miss this week?

There are spiders and cobwebs. Not all the spiders seem completely realistic though if that helps.