The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14656
    tFB Trader
    So Southgate picks his squad today - main questions are 

So will Rashford make it - I don't think so - Gordon + Bowen IMO as back up to Sacko and Foden

Who will go as back up to H Kane - Toney or Watkins - To be fair that is IMO the only advantage in taking Rashford - He can provide back up wide or central striker - But he won't start IMO unless we have injury issues 

Plus who goes in midfield alongside Bellingham and Rice - Mainoo/Gallagher/Madison - I bet Henderson finds a seat but it wouldn't be on my plane 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3141
    Southgate likes his experienced heads so Henderson and Rashford will be on the plane I guess. Possibly at the expense of Watkins and Bowen.

Unless he decides to go all controversial and chooses Benson and Hedges from the lower leagues. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27854
    So will Rashford make it - I don't think so - Gordon + Bowen IMO as back up to Sacko and Foden

I can't think of any rational justification why Rashford would go in place of Gordon or Bowen, or just about any other player who's pulled on a pair of boots* in the last 3 seasons.

*ideally football boots, but other alternatives could be considered.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12026
    edited May 21
    26 players.....I think the one that goes are.

Goalie
    Pickford
    Ramsdale

Defender
    Walker
    Maguire
    Stone
    Alexander Arnold
    Guehi
    Branthwaite
    Chilwell (only recognised Left Back ?? with Shaw out?)

Midfielder
    Rice
    Mainoo
    Palmer
    Gallagher
    Bellingham
    Gordon
    Foden
    Saka

Forward
    Kane
    Watkins

That's 19....so 7 more.  Crossed out those who I think won't make it.

A Goalie +
    Konsa
    Trippier
    Colwill
    Dunk
    Tomori
    Gomez
    Lewis

Bowen
    Eze
    Maddison
    Henderson
    Rashford
    Grealish
    Toney
    Wilson
    edited May 21 tFB Trader
    In places we are very strong and potentially the best team we've had for years - Pickford, Rice, Bellingham, Kane, Foden and Saka could probably play in any other European team  - But a few positions we probably have to make do 

Centre backs - Nothing actually wrong with Stone other than he spends most of his game time now on a bench - Walker is still fine with A Arnold as back up and can move into wide midfield if required - LB not so sure - We had Chillwell or Shaw as to good contenders when available - But think both are out - So that means Trippier will go to cover/play

Other players and relevant places and there is not enough consistency in their PL performance from Grealish + Maddison (he was fine before Christmas) 

Cole Palmer and indeed Elliot both look very good options, but not really integrated into the senior set up yet so maybe a tournament to soon for them - But if you took one then I'd say Palmer based on his goal scoring record 

Think Sancho's return to form is to late for him to get in the squad 

The formation will be a bit of a question to get the best out of the team - GS likes 4-2-3-1 - So Rice will be holding in midfield, probably with Mainoo - Leaving Belligham in the centre with Foden + Saka playing wider - But Foden should be a #10 style floater - But that would either require a change in formation, with now only 1 central holding midfield player - GS is boring so won't take that option
    tFB Trader
    GS comes on at 2pm - But early reports are Rashford, Henderson and Sterling (no surprise there) can start to book their summer holidays now
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11406
    Why do we need squads in this day and age? Why not have a load of players you can choose from? If the FA  or one of the other national bodied wants to take 30+ players then as long as it can keep them all happy, why not?
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1117
    Henderson and Rashford have indeed been left out. I never rated Henderson anyway and England have Rice, Bellingham and I think Foden could do a job in a midfield 3 (though he's better further forward). Cole Palmer can also go in there.

Surprised Ramsdale got a place as he's not played much this season. No doubt he'll move on after the tournament, shouldn't be sitting around on the bench but its pretty clear Raya is the no.1 so if the formalities take place and we sign him permanently then he won't be playing much.

Still no first choice back up to Kane, Watkins has had a good season but the international setup is different. Same goes for Toney. The other attacking forwards are either wide or no.10 type players.
    I think Toney and Watkins can do a holding job fine as a No.9 in a pinch, it just mean Bellingham would need to get into the box more as a No. 8 rather than a 6 to add a bit more fire power.

Real Madrid don't really have a great No.9 and he has been doing that job all season.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2838
    I’m always surprised Harvey Elliott at Liverpool doesn’t get a look in - is he not English perhaps?

edited May 21
    sev112 said:
    I’m always surprised Harvey Elliott at Liverpool doesn’t get a look in - is he not English perhaps?

Left footed like Foden and Saka, both Southgate prefer over Elliot he plays him on the right.  Currently on the right Palmer plays there and he has had a stormer of a season.

If he thinks more in the center then he is behind Bellingham and Foden for more advance role.

For more defensive role in midfield would be more holding which is Mainoo, Jones, Whaton etc.  I think it is simply the fact that Saka, Foden and Palmer, all left footed, all can play the same position he does.  So England have enough cover in that area.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12499
    My England starting 11 for Euros:

Pickford
    Walker, Stones, Anyone but Maguire, Trippier
    Rice, bellingham, Mainoo 
    foden, Kane, Saka.  
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3141
    Who is slotting in for Rice if he picks up an injury? 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7304
    munckee said:

Pickford
    Rice, bellingham, Mainoo 
    foden, Kane, Saka.  
    As a palace fan I’m biased of course but I’d go -

Pickford
    Walker    Stones.       Guehi.       Trippier 
             Rice.      Bellingham.     Wharton
                   Saka.     Kane.     Eze

tFB Trader
    munckee said:

Pickford
    Rice, bellingham, Mainoo 
    foden, Kane, Saka.  
    I think you are right 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12499
    munckee said:

Pickford
    Rice, bellingham, Mainoo 
    foden, Kane, Saka.  

Pickford
                   Saka.     Kane.     Eze

I admire your loyalty but no space for foden  or at least Palmer sounds like madness! 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7304
    munckee said:
    munckee said:

Pickford
    Rice, bellingham, Mainoo 
    foden, Kane, Saka.  

Pickford
                   Saka.     Kane.     Eze

I admire your loyalty but no space for foden  or at least Palmer sounds like madness! 
    Palmer comes on when Saka is tired :-)

For some reason I cant remember many England games where Foden has showed anything like his club form so I'd give others a chance.   I'm definitely being over loyal / mad with Wharton but the lad is some player - to resort to a well used phrase , he is like Pirlo and would be brilliant alongside Bellingham for years to come.  He wont be at Palace for long unfortunately 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1389
    Sensible choices by southgate.
    I think gordon well deserves a start, esp if trippier starts. Absolute talisman for the toon this season and can score, assist and g will run at players and chase the ball. 12 goals from 48 games as a winger? cmon.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9964
    That's reminded me I need to pick my team for the upcoming Euros - I like to pick a small team who I think might do better than expected then follow them, then whoever they go out to, I follow them and so on until the final. That way I can follow the tournament all the way through and always have a team to support. 

I do give myself the right to veto, if the team I end up having to follow is either a) England or b) a dirty cheating team
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1056
    Chelsea. What is going on there!?