The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4934
    edited May 15
    I'd love to see them get shot of it, I don't know any fans that actually like VAR as it stands. The automatic offside seems unlikely to work seeing as they can't even get the ones after 5 minutes deliberation right!!

Perhaps a right to review from the Ref would be the most sensible choice for critical incidents. Not every bloody decision, we can hope eh!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2817
    West Ham finish 9th, so no pressure on getting points in the last game … he he he !

Only team I wouldn’t have liked/expected to be ahead of us is Aston Villa who have done amazing things,  but Brighton etc are in the group behind us.

very impressed with “new” Crystal Palace, look forward to seeing how they do next year if they can keep those players,

outside bet is Brighton to fall off their run of form and fight for relegation. Only team that has it impressed me in some way and who are not in the relegation fight

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1048
    Does anyone actually believe that those who decide on things like VAR, etc. actually care what fans think?
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3083
    I think they care about being 'technically correct' to avoid post match criticism. Take the Wolves dissalowed goal where an offside player was standing in the line of sight of the goalie. Technically correct to dissallow the goal but in reality, no way that goalie was getting anywhere near that header. If the offside players bootlace had been a mm further forward it would have been allowed as not technically offside. Pointless bit of analysis. The ref gave it, VAR couldn't not bring it up and face the outrage afterwards so it did the right thing. 

I was watching a game recently, Everton I think it was. They scored a fair goal but the VAR replays were rewinding over and over every phase of play in the run up looking for the slightest infraction of a rule, every shirt sleeve zoomed in on, every point at which the ball is played from the boot scrutinised. I think at that point I stopped watching it. It brought home to me that this fear if being fingered in the press is making VAR like the VIZ bottom inspectors.

I watch a lot of European games, mutch better than PL by the way, and the ref's just stand firm, say get up, move on or whatever and the players don't crowd around protesting at them in the same way UK do. They have authority on the pitch. VAR helps them if they need it not the other way around. VAR in the UK will never work no matter how it operates, it will only ever be the same as having a ref get it right or wrong. Fans and managers will cry foul either way. They like to think their team was robbed.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10369
    edited May 16
    sev112 said:
    West Ham finish 9th, so no pressure on getting points in the last game … he he he !

Only team I wouldn’t have liked/expected to be ahead of us is Aston Villa who have done amazing things,  but Brighton etc are in the group behind us.

very impressed with “new” Crystal Palace, look forward to seeing how they do next year if they can keep those players,

outside bet is Brighton to fall off their run of form and fight for relegation. Only team that has it impressed me in some way and who are not in the relegation fight

Yea, 9th and a QF in Europa is a decent season, it's just the style of play that's lacking but I'd imagine the new manager will be aware of that, unless he sits back and is happy with a barrage of abuse from day one.

I might not renew my season ticket in any case, I've stopped enjoying it as much and the journey home is a nightmare, there's a couple of guys behind me who are an absolute nightmare to listen to, just awful football takes, and no compromise in them, they'd blame Moyes if it was raining! So I think the odd game and at home or in the pub with a beer could be my new way forward.

I've still got a few weeks to decide but my ticket is £800 now astonished . 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2817
    Wow !  I was toying with getting a Reading season ticket as it’s so close to us, but my colleagues say just turn up on a Saturday if you’re not busy

we have been up to London a few times and met West Ham fans coming back out to Reading environs, such a long journey; I thought it was a bit of a journey going from Hackney/Bethnal Green to East Ham to watch a weekday night game while at school!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14575
    tFB Trader
    Nervous

Equally narked I missed out on tickets  - Had tickets for last 3 play offs and failed to progress so maybe there is an omen 

come on MOT
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12004
    So I guess Everton have to file for administration tonight? Before the last game of the season for the 9pts deduction to apply this year.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27808
    Looks like Southampton through to the play off final.

I missed the other game - did Norwich (deservedly) make it through too, or did that Northern team scrape in?  Isn’t there a Leeds fan on here somewhere?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

I missed the other game - did Norwich (deservedly) make it through too, or did that Northern team scrape in?  Isn’t there a Leeds fan on here somewhere?
    At 1-0 Norwich had a chance to make it 1-1 but Meslier made a great save - Otherwise Norwich did well to keep it to 4 - Could seriously have been 5/6 to nil 

why they sacked him is unbelievable - what has he done wrong 

Soton must start as favourites as they did the double over Leeds this season 

Waiting to see if my membership gets me a ticket 
    tFB Trader

So I guess Everton have to file for administration tonight? Before the last game of the season for the 9pts deduction to apply this year.
    Hard to believe that 777 have been given more time to complete the deal by Moshiri - By the end of May so that doesn’t imply admin shortly

Hard to believe the PL have not killed the deal dead on the grounds of fit and proper - 600 million dollar fraud case to answer to is obviously fine - And that’s for starters 

tFB Trader
    TTony said:

Plus can we buy Rodon - As you don’t need him
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23410
    De Zerbi to leave Brighton "by mutual agreement".  It feels like the wheels have fallen off there... or at least become very wobbly.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9960
    Wasn't a great night to be a Baggies fan last night but I think in fairness, Leeds and Soton were so far ahead of us on points anyway it seems fair that they should be in the final. Having no dog in the fight also means I can enjoy the match as a spectacle rather than caring either way who wins. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    edited May 18
    Philly_Q said:
    De Zerbi to leave Brighton "by mutual agreement".  It feels like the wheels have fallen off there... or at least become very wobbly.
    De Zerbi is supposedly top of Bayern Munich's list to replace TommyT.

[edit]
    And Bayern Munich finish the season 3rd !!
    edited May 18 tFB Trader
    Wasn't a great night to be a Baggies fan last night but I think in fairness, Leeds and Soton were so far ahead of us on points anyway it seems fair that they should be in the final. Having no dog in the fight also means I can enjoy the match as a spectacle rather than caring either way who wins. 
    Can't get a ticket - Only allocated 36K and looks like all gone - My membership Plus option that has served well for many years is now 'obsolete' without having X amount of games on it each season _ I recall the days when I got get 2 tickets on it - Now I can't get one

I can get a corporate Wembley box for 4 - Won't tell you the price and this is via Wembley via a 'good contact' - Crazy thing is, the same box is 4 times more expensive at the Leeds end than Soton 

Will see if they increase our allocation - Trying to find the odds - Do I place a bet on Soton then win/loose either way 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    guitars4you said:

Trying to find the odds - Do I place a bet on Soton then win/loose either way 
    Winning £50 if Southampton win the game would offset the disappointment of Leeds losing?

Really ????

tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    guitars4you said:

Trying to find the odds - Do I place a bet on Soton then win/loose either way 
    Winning £50 if Southampton win the game would offset the disappointment of Leeds losing?

Really ????

No - but still £50 better off - If you’re going to loose with or without the bet then the first option is still better 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9960
    Can't get a ticket - Only allocated 36K and looks like all gone - My membership Plus option that has served well for many years is now 'obsolete' without having X amount of games on it each season _ I recall the days when I got get 2 tickets on it - Now I can't get one

I can get a corporate Wembley box for 4 - Won't tell you the price and this is via Wembley via a 'good contact' - Crazy thing is, the same box is 4 times more expensive at the Leeds end than Soton 

Will see if they increase our allocation - Trying to find the odds - Do I place a bet on Soton then win/loose either way 
    Sorry to hear that, there does always seem to be a racket to milk everything possible from Leeds when they are in this league. Seems a very low allocation of seats in a 90k capacity, assuming Soton get the same, are they giving 18k to corporate guests who probably don't support either side?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    thecolourbox said:

are they giving 18k to corporate guests who probably don't support either side?
    TBH, that doesn't sound unlikely.