New amp range coming from Blackstar?

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    I don't have time to watch it now.

Is there anything new about it, or is it just a regular valve amp?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878

I think it has USB out and Cab sim built in?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297

The lightweight construction. 

In some ways it’s like they’ve been reading guitar forums and responding to common issues. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2022

In some ways it’s like they’ve been reading guitar forums and responding to common issues. 
    Most of the weight is normally in the transformer, they are using something different? (I haven't watched the video)

Most of the weight is normally in the transformer, they are using something different? (I haven't watched the video)

I had a bit of the video on and they mentioned lighter woods, lighter transformer, lighter speakers. The head supposedly weighs the same as an average house cat. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4140
    I haven't watched any videos on this yet. But here's a few more.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    Definitely a Switch Mode Power Supply as evidenced by the universal mains voltage capability.
    Would LOVE to know if that is a self contained module that can be sent back for 'service replacement' because SMPSUs are bastards to fix. Mind you they are also very reliable these days.

The Gain: The guys answered this almost as an aside. Front end is an op amp. I have no beef with that. Finding a low noise, low microphany valve was always a bind. Op amps are totally transparent, very low hiss, no hum and last for fecking ever.

"Bias Control": Is that a DSP effect or can you ACTUALLY crank the Ia up and down?

Dave.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    edited May 2022 tFB Trader
    ecc83 said:
    Definitely a Switch Mode Power Supply as evidenced by the universal mains voltage capability.
    Would LOVE to know if that is a self contained module that can be sent back for 'service replacement' because SMPSUs are bastards to fix. Mind you they are also very reliable these days.

The Gain: The guys answered this almost as an aside. Front end is an op amp. I have no beef with that. Finding a low noise, low microphany valve was always a bind. Op amps are totally transparent, very low hiss, no hum and last for fecking ever.

"Bias Control": Is that a DSP effect or can you ACTUALLY crank the Ia up and down?

Dave.

From the blurb on the website:

The St. James range uses highly efficient, lightweight power transformers designed around modern SMPS (Switched-Mode Power Supply) technology. More than 3 years of intense R&D have delivered all the benefits of SMPS, namely lightweight and universal voltage compatibility, whilst retaining the sound and feel of a traditional iron-core transformer. The resulting revolutionary transformer technology is patent pending.

Be interesting to see if it still has the same characteristic feel of a valve amp and also if they will be reliable when pushed hard as I guess it's going to be the kind of thing that will eventually go bang and then be unrepairable.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited May 2022

I had a bit of the video on and they mentioned lighter woods, lighter transformer, lighter speakers. The head supposedly weighs the same as an average house cat. 
    Where on the chart?

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    If you watch the PMT Online video they actually talk to the chief designer and discuss the switch mode power supply. They even show the amp guts. 

Good to see tech is pushing something better and good to see a UK based company trying something but i am not the target audience so you guys have fun.  Look interesting but not for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1347
    Is weight really that much of a consideration when buying a tube amp (!) these days?
    (and to be honest though I've been underwhelmed by all of the ToneMaster range I've tried, it feels Fender have changed the game amp wise).

For me in order of importance when buying an amp...

1) how it sounds
    2) Functionality
    3) volume
    4) weight
    5) looks

So to make an amp's weight it's major selling point just seems ... superfluous?
    As long as the thing doesn't feel like it's bolted to the floor when I try and lift it I'm good to go...
    If you're a home player I'd assume weight is even less of a factor if it's never gonna leave the house?

Blackstar are aiming this at the ageing boomers who are cash rich and still playing the pub and club circuit... but..y'know ToneMasters...right?

Maybe it's a gamechanger sound wise but.. the vids above would indicate otherwise.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    CaseOfAce said:
    Is weight really that much of a consideration when buying a tube amp (!) these days?
    (and to be honest though I've been underwhelmed by all of the ToneMaster range I've tried, it feels Fender have changed the game amp wise).

1) how it sounds
    2) Functionality
    3) volume
    4) weight
    5) looks

As long as the thing doesn't feel like it's bolted to the floor when I try and lift it I'm good to go...
    If you're a home player I'd assume weight is even less of a factor if it's never gonna leave the house?

Blackstar are aiming this at the ageing boomers who are cash rich and still playing the pub and club circuit... but..y'know ToneMasters...right?

Maybe it's a gamechanger sound wise but.. the vids above would indicate otherwise.
    Based on questions and comments on guitar forums a lightweight valve amp/ sounds like valve amp is the holy grail. Getting a good sound from that amp through a PA or DAW is another biggie. 
    I think Blackstar have designed exactly what people say they are looking for. Wether that sells/ they like the sound/ they like the look is another matter
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3576

This does not sound to me like a £1000 amp. Have they got a Fender Mustang mic'd up around the back? 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    CaseOfAce said:

1) how it sounds
    2) Functionality
    3) volume
    4) weight
    5) looks

Problem is Ace, an 'old fashioned' 30W valve twin DOES  feel as if it is bolted to the deck!

There are other benefits to lower weight. Much cheaper shipping. Less chance of damage, both to the amp and collaterally if the arrested mass is lower.

The universal supply stops the transformer voltage taps debate* stone dead. SMPSUs are MUCH  more efficient than 50Hz supplies. As to "sound"? Well, I am known here as a hi fi nut and in that area you make amplifiers with massive Power Supply Rejection Ratios and so by definition the PSU does not affect the sound. Pentodes are also pretty good at supply rejection as well. In any case, the VAST majority of 'studio' gear including monitors uses SMPS so just about everything you hear goes through or was recorded with one.

*That is, should amps be a single voltage device, with a PT wound for the intended country or should they be adjustable? I am firmly in the former camp. Why a 230/115V amp unless you fly the Pond once a month and can afford to fly your gear with you. The USA more or less had to have tapped traffs because they are in the minority in the world with 115V and 60Hz.

Dave.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
    By the time you've put the amp in your car, what does weight matter? And if you put your amps in a flight case, then it is also pretty pointless making them lightweight.

Just put wheels on them and make your drummer carry it upstairs. Sorted.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Contrary to popular belief, the weight is actually mostly in the cabinet and the speaker - it’s only in a huge amp that the PT gets significant. Obviously it does make a difference if you can eliminate it, but the real key is using pine or much thinner braced ply (eg Barefaced) cabinet and a light, probably neodymium, speaker. Just making a head a lot smaller saves a lot of weight - a smaller box is lighter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I don't use this feature, so fuck everyone else who might.

Guitar forums in a nutshell.  =)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
    I don't use this feature, so fuck everyone else who might.

Guitar forums in a nutshell.  =)

Yeah, but I haven't heard any demos online that make them sound like a £1000 amp. They sound pretty generic in all the ones I've listened to this morning

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway