Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• VintageVintage Frets: 2

Q1: Where did you username come from?

From Vintage gear, that I love

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

Cosenza, Italy 

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

Play loud

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

Too many guitar for select "the one" 

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

The thin ice

HI! My name is Paolo and I come from Italy. Thanks for accept my request, great forum!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Scotty55Scotty55 Frets: 3
    TTony said:

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Q1: Surname and squad number for my hockey team

Q2: Glasgow

Q3: To be basically proficient and able to play a song

Q4: Other than the guitar itself, the Rocksmith game for the XBox

Q5: Number of the Beast

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from?

My name and birth year.

Blackburn, Lancs. UK

To gain a decent following with my band and be able to survive as a full time musician.

My HX stomp.

I’m into a band called Loathe at the minute so one of theirs I guess, New Faces in the Dark.

I’m Jonny, I’m 28 and I played in a band called Violet Youth until recently and I am always looking to improve tones, techniques and gear. Cheers.

• zedhexzedhex Frets: 36
    1: Username: zedhex - I used to ride a lot of motorcycles, and my favourite was always a 1977 Kawasaki Z1000A1. Many years ago I tried to create a Yahoo account with the name "zedhed", but it was taken - so I changed it to "zedhex". 

2. I'm from Hull (aka Hell with 'u' in it). Currently living in St Neots, Cambs.

3. Musical ambition: to record a piece of music where I'm happy with my guitar sound. I've been trying for decades without success...

4. Best bit of gear: my 1992 Les Paul standard.

5. #1 track? er... unpossible. Maybe "Big Eyed Beans from Venus" by Capt Beefheart.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 1729
    zedhex said:
    1: Username: zedhex - I used to ride a lot of motorcycles, and my favourite was always a 1977 Kawasaki Z1000A1. Many years ago I tried to create a Yahoo account with the name "zedhed", but it was taken - so I changed it to "zedhex". 

2. I'm from Hull (aka Hell with 'u' in it). Currently living in St Neots, Cambs.

3. Musical ambition: to record a piece of music where I'm happy with my guitar sound. I've been trying for decades without success...

4. Best bit of gear: my 1992 Les Paul standard.

5. #1 track? er... unpossible. Maybe "Big Eyed Beans from Venus" by Capt Beefheart.
    Ow do lad.   Another Ullite here.  Moved away for work in the early 90s but still pop back occasionally to see the folks.  Was there for fair in October with the kids and grandkid.  Great fun.  Welcome to the forum.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Alex_MAlex_M Frets: 3

Name - nothing too exciting

Aberdeen UK

To play a gig

My Epiphone LP Pro

Come as you are - Nirvana 

• Heya! I'm Dave and currently live in Germany. I lived near Cambridge while serving in the U.S. Air Force and loved my time in the U.K. I'm hoping to get back over there soon to perform some shows again. 

I primarily play acoustic guitar and decided this year I will focus on my love of Celtic/Irish/Scottish/American Traditional music. I've dabbled in it for years, so why not make the commitment with a username? Ha! 

Currently living near Stuttgart, Germany. 

I genuinely just love to write, record, and perform music. I've already done the record label thing a few times, but had far more "success" as an indie. My main ambition is to keep playing music I love and for as many people as I can. I know how much a great song means to me and I hope to write one that'll make someone else feel that way, too. 

I just had a custom Avalon Arc model built over in Ireland that's getting all of my attention. 

One?! First one that came to mind was "The Rain Song" by Led Zeppelin. I've been a huge fan of Page's acoustic playing since I was a kid. 

guitar - around ... around guitars... guitaround

Málaga, Spain 

Enjoy playing guitar as long as I can

Probably my 1997 Fender Standard Telecaster... not 'the best', nor the 'fancier' but for some reason this guitar just 'have it'

Friedemann 'My blue star', strange election... but this song was the one that made me want to play guitar

• Hi, I'm Jonny! I'm 23, just graduated and trying to figure out what to do with myself now!

Just my name - I used to give accounts more imaginative usernames but after one too many moments where I had to explain my account name to bemused strangers I decided to keep it simple!

Stratford-upon-Avon, UK

I'd love to be able to find a career in music, having done a music degree. Even if I can't, though, my main desire is just to keep discovering new artists and albums that I've never heard before.

Hard to say - probably my Ibanez S470 from 2009, as I still play it more than any other guitar I own. I don't tend to get sentimental about music gear, but this guitar is the one I could never part with.

Depends on the day! But if I have to pick one, maybe Turbo Killer by Carpenter Brut. I love that whole dark 80s aesthetic that so many electronic artists have worked with in recent years!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Hi I’m Kain 42 years young. Started playing guitar in secondary school after hearing Surfing with the Alien from Joe Satriani. Played for a few years until I had an accident at work which I broke my left hand quite badly which I’m still recovering from but decided to get back into guitar to try and help with the physio therapy.

Q1. Username came from my surname and the year of birth.

Q2. Originally from Lincoln (RAF rat as parents were stationed in the Lincoln area) but I’ve lived most of my life in Thornaby in Teesside

Q3. Just to be able to crack some of the Satriani music on my own ( I managed tears in the rain at school but that was pretty easy compared to his other stuff).

Q4. Hard to choose really but it’s got to be my Ibanez JS24PCA.

Q5. Very hard to choose just one as I have so many. I suppose for goosebumps feel it has to be the Mark
    Knopfler track from the Local Hero soundtrack.
  • OwaindOwaind Frets: 3

Just my name and first letter of surname 

Beautiful west wales, new quay to be exact 

To have more time to play! 

My Jackson SL1 soloist but no longer my style of guitar. Looking to get a strat custom shop next 

Changes all the time. At the moment it’s “little wing”

• Q1:  Where did you username come from? - My mum

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? - Marlow, Bucks, UK - Originally Brisbane, Australia

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? - Play, sound better than yesterday, learn and progress, play with other musicians

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? - Gibson Songwriter Delxue

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Stupid Boy, Keith Urban

• AlexWilmotAlexWilmot Frets: 5
    edited January 17
    Hi all, posted a few times but I should probably introduce myself here,

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Birth name

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? - Surrey, UK for the past 3years

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? - fix the bad habits from my first years playing, learn more songs and theory, maybe record for home fun use

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? - 2005 Epiphone Les Paul standard from China, out of about 15 guitars I've had this one just feels right in my hands

Afterglow - Great White

• StemcorStemcor Frets: 3
    Q1. A former employer

Q2. To the east of London but that’s about to change.

Q3. To be the best guitar player that I can be (I’ve been trying for years and not getting very far !).

Q4. My 2010 Fender Broadcaster reissue. A superb instrument.

Q5. Such a tough question ! Probably something by Alex Lifeson.
  • columbo2columbo2 Frets: 2

Hey there fellows.  I thought it's about time I joined this community.

The actor of the popular crime investigation series shares my name... more or less

Portsmouth UK

To make billions playing in a band that fill stadiums.  Failing that, to play a gig in a toilet venue from time to time, playing music that is "criminally underrated" will have to do.

Gibson Firebird Studio

I lucked out and got it in a trade for a Fender Jag.  Such a cool looking, smooth playing and beefy sounding guitar. 

really hard.  I'm going to break the rules. sorry.

1 Oldie: Got to give it up - Thin Lizzy

1 Newish:  Kangerroo Pocket - Rozwell Kid

1 from my coming of age:  Little Discourage - Idlewild

Now can someone point me in the direction of the:

Can't stop buying guitar gear-aholics Anonymous section? 

• Q1:  Where did you username come from? my real name and where I am based

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? London, SW.

I'd like to jam with standard jazz

My Lowden acoustic guitar.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Argh.... Pat Metheny - First Circle
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from? My Greek Surname translated -in a cute way- to English

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Greece.

Play jazz/blues /funk music in small clubs

Gibson L4 CES

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? My favorite things- John Coltrane
  • Hi.  I'm Al, short for Alan.  I'm retired and thinking about getting an electric guitar to give me something to do at home that is not weather dependent.  I live near Cheltenham in the Cotswolds, a very nice part of the world. I'm 71 but still an active rock climber and mountain biker but as I'm slowing down a bit I need something a little more sedate. I have always liked to listen to Blues and heavy rock.  Think Muddy Waters, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple etc. In the dim distant past I could string together a few chords on an acoustic but it never really satisfied me.

Al
              I've built a couple of lightning test facilities for certifying aircraft parts

Nottingham

Faff about and have fun

Mildly modded AC30CC2

Bach Cello Suite No. 1 - Prelude (awesome but very hard to play on the bass)
  • wire_twerpwire_twerp Frets: 1
    edited January 29
    Q1. I love westerns - Wyatt Earp themed especially.

Q2. Yorkshire

Q3. To grab people by the electric brain banana

Q4. My PRS SC594

Q5. Blackwater Park (Opeth)
  • Hi, I'm Andy and have just found this forum.

Q1:  Where did you username come from? well this question removes all the mystery! It's the name of first track from The Manic Street Preachers debut Album, and also fits well with my liking for Guns N' Roses.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Manchester, UK

To be a better guitarist and learn more full songs.

Not my latest axe, but my faithful 2005 USA Tele Standard that I've owned for about 10 years

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Impossible to answer, but logically it would have to be Tribute (Tenacious D)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bobwillbobwill Frets: 2
    edited February 3

Hi, My name is Tim I am 66 years old and just learning to play. 

My first guitar was a Christmas present from my parents 50 years ago a used Stratocaster I never learned to play at any level, sold it when I was around 19 to a guy who played in a band. Now last year Just before Christmas I came across my wife's acoustic guitar in the loft a EKO Texan acoustic must be 60 years old. Local guitar shop restrung it and tuned it for me, I played around with it for a couple of weeks and I was hooked. I need to learn to play it. I booked a weekly one hour session with a tutor and I am loving it, I practice about one hour each day I am making very slow progress but never the less I am progressing. My wife wanted to get me a guitar for Christmas I chose a Tanglewood TSB58 at my local music centre again I am loving it.  

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Showing my age with this answer, When I was around 10 -12 years old I would collect scrap wood pieces at a local factory that made paint brushes. I would cut this wood into small pieces for fire wood (starting the coal fire in the home) and sell the wood to local homes for a shilling a bundle. When a customer would ask the price I would say a Bob will do please, this has stayed with me as a nickname Bobwill. 

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? I reside in the Midlands UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? Just to be able play a guitar 

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? I have just one piece of gear a Tanglewood TSB58

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? This is difficult to pick just one track but it will probably be something with Mark Knopfler playing

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bootlegbootleg Frets: 1
    Q1. It's a play in NFL. Nothing to do with booze!
    Q2. Bristol UK
    Q3. To always be learning something new
    Q4. Whatever I am playing at the time
    Q5. Yours Is No Disgrace - Yes
  • Hi Folks, I'm James! I'm a guitarist, singer/songwriter based in the midlands.

Q1:  Where did you username come from? - Literally my name, wish I could change it now!  

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? - Newark, Notts, UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? - Got my first solo album coming out this year, I'll start there.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Best I'd have to say my quirky "parts-caster-plus", not sure what I'd do without her.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? No Woman, No Cry (it's a long story)

• Hi everyone, I'm a guitarist/songwriter, 52 years old. Getting an extremely late start at this guitar thing, but committed to it now for certain. Glad to be here in a musician's community.

Just me name. 

Originally from Birkenhead but now living in Switzerland, with lots of countries in between. 

Release albums of my music...and have people listen to them!

Gibson ES-330

"Ashes to Ashes," Bowie

• Hello everyone!

New on here. Mostly came on for trades, and possibly to find some band members soon!

It's my name! (unimaginative, I know)

London

To get back on stage at some point soon - my band are relatively niche, so that might be ambitious. We re called DED MEAT and write songs about food, the question of whther to be vegan or not (I'm a butcher, my mate the drummer is vegan!) and recycling/sustainability. Fleetwood Mac we ain't.

I recently purchased a brand new Fender American Ultra Strat in Texas Tea. It is THE ONE.

War Pigs - Black Sabbath

• Hi, I'm Rob from Manchester (by way of Telford)... brand new having lurked for a while! Been a member over on SSO.org for a while but I've been finding myself seeking out lower gain things of late!

Q1: Aconite Thrill were an exciting band from... I want to say Hertfordshire somewhere? I don't think they do it anymore, but the name always sounded incredibly cool to me. So I stole it.

Q2: I'm in Manchester, UK.

Q3: Main musical ambition would be to nail that sweeping part from Selkies: The Endless Obsession. It's not going to happen.

Q4: I'd be hard-pressed to get rid of my 2013 PRS 408. If I ever list it for sale, tell me to take it down.

Q5: Just one is impossible. I'll go with Hopesfall's 'The Bending'
  • SoftailSoftail Frets: 2
    Hi all, I’ve just joined this great looking forum! Played guitar from a self teach book during the late 70’s early 80’s, then life got in the way. Just started picking up the guitar again in late Jan this year. Really enjoying going back to basics and learning properly from scratch via some of the on-line tutors. My answers are as follows - - -

1. User name: One of my passions is motorcycling, and I’m fortunate to have a few Harleys. My fist was bought in 2003, and is a “Softail” model.

2. Where am I: Originally from Belfast, but have living in South east Scotland for > 30 years.

3. Musical ambition: To restart learning from basics (including theory) so I can competently play with others or in public without feeling incompetent!

4. Best bit of gear: I only have 2 guitars bought circa 40 years ago. A Yamaha CJ-838S acoustic which I bought cos I loved the curvaceous shape! Second is a Kawai Performer electric guitar which I recently found in its case under a bed in my mother’s house when helping her move into a flat. Plan to buy an semi-acoustic like an Epiphone Casino or dot, if I can justify the budget!

5. Best track: Love all blues and some jazz, but anything from Van Morrison or Rory Gallagher (for this Belfast boy!).

Cheers all & look forward to contributing (although I expect I’ll be learning more than being able to contribute any knowledge!!)
  • Hi everyone, I'm Stephen - 39 years old, just starting again after learning a few chords over 20 years ago. Doing some learning via on-line resources which I'm enjoying.

1) Username is initial of Surname and my nickname when I was younger, Junior.
    2) I live just north of Leeds
    3) To get a lot better on the guitar and to be able to record my own music as well as teach my daughters (I have two).
    4) I have just one guitar (a PRS SE) and a practice amp. Only been playing again for a few weeks but hoping to get a better amp soon - thinking of the Fender GT40?
    5) Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam - wish I could play it.

Thanks all, hoping to learn lots and try and contribute :)
  • Hello

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Kevin from Bristol (UK), in my fifties, have been playing a sort of indie/country-esque style of music for a number of years. I love the Velvet Underground, Luna, Stereolab, Nico, Ferlin Husky, Buck Owens type of stuff. I've had a bit of an obsession with Gretsch guitars but that seems to be shifting as I play a 65 Jazzmaster most of the time (through a Carr Rambler). I'm happy playing and putting out Cds - most recent picked up some Gideon Coe airplay, a Shindig review and Spanish radio plays amongst other things.

Cheers

Kevin