Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Where I lived when I was working in New York

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

South London

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

To finally learn to play properly some of the stuff I've been trying to get my fingers round for 40 years...

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

Difficult to say, but probably my Lowden L23 from 1982

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Oh Lord... Ry Cooder, "I think it's going to work out fine"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • trevAtrevA Frets: 42

1. My name
    2. Scotland
    3. Purely recreational but being able to play technically well with 'musicality' if that make sense. 
    4. 1998 Philip Woodfield Series 1 classical which makes a fantastic noise.
    5.  Oy ye como va will always make me smile.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Oh Lord... Ry Cooder, "I think it's going to work out fine"

Great call!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226

Hi all. I've been on the board for a little while, and have posted a few times but thought it would be friendly to introduce myself.

I did play a little in my teens and early twenties (had a Squier Strat) but never got beyond the basic strummer level. Last year, at 44, I decided to pick up the guitar again, and this time really work at being able to play properly. I've been learning for a year and practice every day - this has to fit in with family and work but I've found that cutting right down on TV frees up enough time to get at least 30 mins in.

I started using Guitar Tricks and then found a local teacher and last weekend I took my Grade 2 RSL exam (waiting for the results). I've no particular desire to get to Grade 8 or any other number but the structured nature of taking grades does appeal to the anal retentive in me, and knowing that the pieces and techniques are progressive means I'll know over time I'm really getting better, not just spinning my wheels or learning approximations of songs I like.

Q1:  Where did your username come from?

Initials and surname...

Leigh-on-Sea in Essex, having escaped to the seaside from London a couple of years back

Play one of my heroes' songs on a stage

My MJW Roadstar amp. Sounds and looks fab

Bigmouth Strikes Again by the Smiths

• Hi Everyone. Hope all is well.

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  TonyJK is from my name, 'cause that's who I am and didn't come up with anything more creative!

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?  UK. 12 miles south east of London.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?   Would love to get back into a band again but time is precious, its not a professional ambition and work and family life means that Ican't gig as frequently as most bands want to.  But I miss the fun and focus of being in a band.  What a blast.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?  My Les Paul

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?  Led Zep's No Quarter.  Just love the composition of it.  Brilliant.

• Hi

Q1 : twang46.....born in 1946 & like to twang guitars

Q2 : 7 miles west of Durham city  (UK)

Q3 : To finally nail the elusive guitar sound on "Because they're Young" ....it looks & sounds easy but it's far from that, I'm on take 85 or so...close but not close enough  :)

Q4 : my home brew 5w single ended small combo (6v6)

Q5 : "Because they're Young" Duane Eddy... been the soundtrack of my musical life since 1960
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 243

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  Its part of my name

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? uk south east

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To keep mastering the blues

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? my strat

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? slow dancing in a burning room

• Q1:  Where did you username come from?  Its the name of our website!

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?    Holmfirth, West Yorkshire

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?    None, noodling away at home is just fine these days.... 

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?    My 90s Japanese Strat, first half decent guitar i bought.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?   Jump! Van Halen

We are a UK based, family run company retailing guitar effects pedals and accessories online. 
    https://www.breakthemachine.co.uk  connect@breakthemachine.co.uk
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    Hello, thanks for the invite and here are my nominations:-

Q1: My username is my nickname for my grandson

Q2: I'm from Royal Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire

Q3: I'd like to get in a band again at some point, although at 57 I've become somewhat ambivalent to loading gear into a van.

Q4: Loads of great gear over the years but my latest purchase tops them all. Boss Katana 100 112 amp.

Q5: Babe I'm gonna leave you by Led Zep

• L0wkeyL0wkey Frets: 2
    edited November 2018
    35 year old recovering guitarist. Recovering from a decade away from playing. I took a break for reasons, but boy am I happy to be back. Now gigging semi regularly and bloody loving it!

Q1: My username has been my online moniker for some time. Liberally stolen from Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

Q2: Cheshire, UK

Q3: When I was younger it was to rule the world with music, now it's simply to play as much as possible and enjoy it.

Q4: "Best" is hard, the thing that's on my board the most at the moment is a Hudson Dual Broadcast.

Q5: Impossible. Most fun to play (at the moment) is a hard rock version of Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. Most played on iTunes is Gone Girl by Joey Landreth (yes I know I cheated).
  • Hi everyone,

35, based in Cheshire. After a misspent youth of making very little money through music and taking it far too seriously, I took a decade off for reasons. Now I'm getting back in the swing of things. Gigging semi regularly and thoroughly loving playing again. The gear lover in me has reawakened something fierce!

Q1:  Where did you username come from?
    Just an online moniker I've used for a long time. Liberally stolen from Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

Cheshire

In my youth it was to rule the world with music, now it's to enjoy playing and to do it as often as I can. 

That's a hard one. Presently I'm loving Hudson Dual Broadcast, but that changes on a weekly basis. I'm hoping you guys are gonna help me find some new "best" bits of gear!

Absolutely impossible. Favourite to play at the moment is a hard rock version of Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. My most played tune according to my music app is Gone Girl by Joey Landreth (I know I broke the rules).
  • Q1 User name is just my nickname and the year of my birth.

Q2 I'm from Ayrshire in Bonnie Scotland

Q3 Musical Ambition?  Just to be able to play a few chords so that I can join in with mates.

Q4 Yamaha F310.  Beginner!

Q5 Blues..... Hard to choose a track but JLH,  'Boom Boom Boom' is a track I return to often.  I like most things however and admire anything well written and performed.   Just discovered Estas Tonne...genious.

• Thought its about time I did things properly, been a member for months but never introduced myself so here goes.
    Q1. where did your user name come from? used to be a big thin lizzy fan in my younger days hence johnny the fox

Q2. Where in the world/country are you ?   Derby.UK.

Q3. What 's your main musical ambition ?    no ambition left I'm 67 and still enjoy playing and want to carry on as long as I can.

Q4.  Best bit of gear?  That's a difficult one but I suppose I would have to say my 2011prs custom 22 20th anniversary.

Q5.  Best track ever ?   there's so many I love but a track I always like to hear is Justin Heywards Forever Autumn
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from?
    It's the name of our organisation!

Derby. The literal center of england

To inspire and promote creativity for anyone of any age or musical ability.

We have an 8X10 trace combo. It's one of two ever made and the other one is owned by trace.

Oh so many, we have a corridor with a vinyl wall so definitely one of those

• lemonaidanlemonaidan Frets: 3
    edited December 2018
    TTony said:

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

[edit]
    ChristophEar has created a Spotify playlist of all the #1 tracks
    Everyone's #1 tracks.

And I just "stickied" this for as long as we've got lots of new rejoiners arriving!

1. My username is a bad play on words of my actual name 
    2. I live in Newport, South Wales. I'm originally from Newcastle though, and have spent a good few years in Scotland
    3. One day produce a record that I feel really proud of
    4. Right now it's my smallsound/bigsound mini overdrive pedal. It's probably the best guitar pedal I've ever played. To me it matches the OD sound I have in my head and its really versatile - every setting sounds good.
    5. Break by Fugazi
  • Hi folks, my names Mick, I’m 58 and from Huddersfield

Where did you username come from?

It’s an amalgamation of two motorcycles I used to own - an 1100 Blackbird (very nice) and a 250 Superdream (pretty awful).

Where in the world/country are you?

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire

What's your main musical ambition?

To be play guitar slight degree of competence

Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

At the moment, Helix LT

Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Gimme Shelter - The Stones

• Hi, I've just joined this forum. Myself and my boyfriend are gigging musicians and we're selling off some equipment at the moment to try and help get us through the winter (summer is when we have most of our work!). I just saw that it's encouraged to join in the discussion here so thought I'd say hello - but my boyfriend Charley is a total guitar geek so I'd say he'll like this forum, I'll get him to post as well soon :)

Q1: My actually name is Emily... Shmembles is just a nickname that's evolved over the years - Em - Ems - Shmems - Shmembles.

Q2: Algarve, Portugal. I'm originally from Ireland and Charley's from England.

Q3: I think songwriting is the most amazing artform so I just want to get as good at that as possible and guitar is a part of that journey. Not sure what Charley's longterm ambition is, but I think he just wants to get as good as possible at the guitar while still enjoying it... practices 3 hours daily religiously!

Q4: I'll get Charley to answer this in another post...

Q5: Sultans of Swing live

• MJL19MJL19 Frets: 1
    Hi all,

Newbie to the forum here!

Q1:  Where did you username come from? - Initials and lucky number

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Scotland,UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To be able to play all the ideas in my head with the least amount of time spent working out/learning how to physically play them!

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Victory V30 amp, Strymon Timeline & MusicMan guitar - happy!

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Too many to choose, but Windows to the soul by Vai is definitely up there!

• MJL19 said: me
    Hi all,

Newbie to the forum here!

Q1:  Where did you username come from? - Initials and lucky number

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Scotland,UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To be able to play all the ideas in my head with the least amount of time spent working out/learning how to physically play them!

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Victory V30 amp, Strymon Timeline & MusicMan guitar - happy!

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Too many to choose, but Windows to the soul by Vai is definitely up there!

Welcome!
    We are a UK based, family run company retailing guitar effects pedals and accessories online. 
    https://www.breakthemachine.co.uk  connect@breakthemachine.co.uk
  • Hi Team,

Heard about this site as the place to be for UK guitar discussions and trading, so jumping in.

Q1:  We're all "chasing tone", so I am a tone seeker, but I've also found it many times I'm happy to say.

Q2:  London

Q3:  Relaxation, expression and interacting with people through the language of music.

Q4:  Hard to say on this one.  Have some nice stuff.  Probably a very old acoustic I rescued because it's got history.  Also the cheapest thing I have.

Q5:  Can't chose a single #1.  Depends on the mood.