Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• rain.paraderain.parade Frets: 10

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

A band from the 'Paisley Underground' scene of the early/mid 80's

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

Norwich, UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

To keep having fun, and to keep playing with other people.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

Early '60s copper-top Vox AC30 I bought for £50 via an add in the local Asda :-)

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Right now, Virginia Wolf by Robyn Hitchcock

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Q1:  I've played guitar for more years than I'll admit too and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Q2:  Delightful Derbyshire

Q3: To be the best guitar player I can be just before I die

Q4: Boss Katana 100 combo, maybe not the best amp I own/have owned, but certainly the most useful.

Q5: Where were you - Jeff Beck

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921

Q1:  Where did you username come from? - it's my name, I would have chosen something more exciting had I know I would have had to explain myself... 

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? - Manchester, UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? - keep playing creative music and improvising until I retire I guess!

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? - too difficult! I guess today it's my Japanese Squier Strat

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? - 'All I Need' by Radiohead is currently in my head, so that's as good an answer as you're gonna get right now!

• Q1:  Where did you username come from? - It is a album by the band Therion back when they were a death metal band.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? - Cambridge

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? - To be able to play my 5 favourite albums front to back.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? - Schecter Banshee FR. 

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? - Dvorak's 9th Symphony

• Q1:  Where did you username come from? - An old nickname that's stuck with me

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? - Mid Bedfordshire, England

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? - Get back into playing guitar regularly

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? - my old Hofner Senator

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? - Summer Breeze – The Isley Brothers

• 30hertz30hertz Frets: 41
    Q1:  Where did you username come from? I'm a bass player, and 30Hz is (nearly) the fundamental frequency of the low B on a 5-string bass -- my main weapon of choice.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Just southwest of Bristol, UK -- proper Wurzel Country. Oooh arrr.

To keep playing till they screw the lid down.

Must I really only choose one? OK, my 1980 Wal Pro 2-E bass.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? 'Black Light Machine' by Frost*.

I'm not some sort of drug-taking alcoholic git.
    I'm just a git.

• rmanmanrmanman Frets: 0

Q1:  Where did you username come from? - No idea

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? - southeast England

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? - develop my own style

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? - BK Butler Tube driver - great sounding OD

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? - Ain't no Mountain

• tomftomf Frets: 3

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Simply based on my name

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Liverpool, UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? None - I'm just one of many 'guitarists' who occasionally play a few riffs around the house.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Vintage Lemon Drop - Cheapo guitar which I always seem to pick up and which always seems to hold its own against supposedly superior, definitely more expensive, competition, (not mentioning any particular American guitar manufacturers!).

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? so may but I always keep coming back to Hendrix and All Along the Watchtower.

• westfordwestford Frets: 580

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Been using it on forums for years, fairly anonymous but easy to remember...

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? South Bucks

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? I’m just a bedroom guitar player, no plans for world domination or anything. Just want to enjoy it and get a little better at what I do.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My Tanglewood Mini E Koa

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Motorcycle Emptiness - Manic Street Preachers. Takes me back to my first live gig.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    Gimlet said:

From a time when myth and legend were fact.

The South East.

To bestride the guitar like a colossus and, if not that I'll settle for something less megalomaniacal.

An early '88 E4 serial Strat Plus.  It's not necessarily the best as I've been fortunate enough over the years to own or play many expensive instruments, but this was my first electric guitar and will always feel like home. If not for its theft many years ago, this mantle would have been occupied by a '78 Lowden O22.

I don't have one in particular, so for today I'll opt for Frank Zappa's Zoot Allures.

King of the Commandos?
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    Sorry, neglected to do this.

1) From my fetid imagination. But we're all apes. 
    2) Devon, UK
    3) Continue to improve my woeful reading abilities, knowledge of harmony, pocket etc. Do bigger gigs with my afrobeat band and better learn the art of recording. 
    4) 98 Am DlX strat with Zexcoils. The guitar that refuses to die.
    5) presently Cassandra Wilson 'Death Letter'
  • GA95MusicGA95Music Frets: 6

Hi! I'm George, i'm 24 and i am from Wolverhampton, Shropshire. Worked with Oak framing for the past 7 years and have  decided to pick up the guitar again with some old bandmates!

Q1:  Where did you username come from? My very limited imagination! Very boring, i know!

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? In a village near Wolverhampton, Shropshire. 

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? Nothing massive, to get better at playing as i am very rusty. Mainly improve my lead playing as i am a competent rhythm guitarist, and let's be honest, everyone want's to play lead. 

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Curretnly my 2014 Gibson LP Classic.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? The Killers - Somebody Told Me. This song is pretty much what started me playing and i remember my dad showing me them playing on Jools Holland! The Killers as a band are why i started getting into rockier music!

• GomersGomers Frets: 17

Hi all,

I joined the forum ages ago it seems, but completely overlooked the email confirmation landing in my junk mail, so here I am.

I'm Nick, originally from Manchester.  Started working in the city centre back in 1989 and became immersed in the music scene that enveloped the city all the way into the mid to late 90's, great days.

Moved to Nantwich back in 2005 with Mrs Gomers and welcomed our daughter in to the world 4 years later.  While still in Manchester, spent 10 wonderful years in a gigging covers band but as with all these things, the time to leave meant my days of thrilling the crowds with Oasis, Stone Roses, Smiths and various other covers, was at an end.  I am now purely a home player and that's fine.  Currently have 2 electrics and 4 acoustics which is probably 1 and 3 too many respectively.

As is forum etiquette, my answers to the mods' mandatory questions as follows:-

Q1 - username is purely a shortened form of my surname, not hugely creative but there you go

Q2 - As above, in Nantwich, South Cheshire

Q3 - My musical ambitions have been realised in days gone by, content with being a home player now, with maybe the odd request for an impromptu song

Q4 - Probably my recently acquired Bourgeois Country Boy 00 acoustic - handmade loveliness

Q5 - Favourite track ?  In the past, this has been almost impossible to answer but since losing my parents a couple of years ago, Thinking of a Place by War on Drugs reduces me to a blubbering mix of tears and nostalgia, everytime.  Also, anything by Grandaddy, love 'em !

Very much looking forward to contributing to the forum and many thanks for having me.

2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MagpieMagpie Frets: 2
    edited June 2019
    Hi - I'm Ray. Originally a Billericay Dickie, raised in Essex / East London.  Was general manager for a national retailer, retired in 2006 (age 54) and have lived in Worcestershire for 30 years - still feel like I'm on holiday. Gigged from 2008 - 2018 playing electro acoustic and accompanied some fabulous people. 

When I retired I spent £12k on three hand made American boutique guitars but the 2008 crash meant I sold them all and now I have a £300 Chinese Lag jumbo (heavilly modified - zero fret, soundport etc). My hope is to once again buy something special in 2020 - American if Trump is out office; probably a Doerr or a Ryan.

1. My username is the first bird I saw in my garden one morning and having an eclectic musical taste, it fits.
    2. I live right by the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire and can see the tourists sweating from my patio.
    3. I have written a lot of tunes and songs but have failed to record them despite having all the gear because I can't settle on a perfect tempo/feel/arrangement. So my dream would be to have someone who really knows what they're doing, musically as well as technically (I know lots of engineers) to present them in their best light.
    4. My best bit of gear over the years was a guitar - a Doerr Trinity Select.
    5. A favourite track: Cinema Show - Genesis.

• nickos236nickos236 Frets: 1
    Q1:  Where did you username come from? Its my name strangely 

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Walsall, West Midlands 

To continue to sing and play live music.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Gretsch electromatic red edition. 

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? The clashes version of I fought the law. You’d have to know me to understand this one. 
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    Hello all, new here....

Cats name

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Essex

To sound like i have a bit of ability.

Walrus Audio “Slö”

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Slowdive “Sugar for the pill” will do for now :)
  • Hello everyone!

It's the name I put out all my musical endeavours under because I hate my name, haha.

Hampshire, UK.

Musically, just to continually write tracks I'm proud of, but also to keep progressing as an audio engineer/mixer.

Probably my Sennheiser HD650s, I couldn't live without them.

Definitely my most recent song 'Cloudburst'.

Audio Engineer || Composer || Prog Nerd

empyreanaudio.co.uk || liberascientia.bandcamp.com
  • My name is Carl. I was born in Illinois, USA. I have lived in Southern California most of my life. I now live in Aguanga, California on our small horse ranch. I’m now 71 years old and am a terrible guitar player although I have been playing since I was 8 or 10 years old. Grandma showed me my first three chords, G,C,and D. 

Q1:  My user name DeadwoodCarl is from the fact that I worked on a US Television series called “Deadwood” as a background actor (Extra). Some of the best fun I’ve ever had. 

Q2:  I now live in Lake Riverside Estates, Aguanga, California, USA

Q3: Musical ambition is Self entertainment. 

Q4: Best bit of gear? At the moment, my Martin 6. It was made in 1994. But I love all of my guitars. 

Q4: Hotel California by the Eagles. 
  • TTony said:

[edit]
    ChristophEar has created a Spotify playlist of all the #1 tracks
    Everyone's #1 tracks.

And I just "stickied" this for as long as we've got lots of new rejoiners arriving!

Heya folks, introducing myself. Had this board recommended to me by a few long term members. 

Username - reference to my band/the wrestler
    From - London, NW1
    Main musical ambition - achieved most of them
    Best bit of gear - I've been sober 14 years, so no gear for me
    #1 Track - Impossible to whittle down to just one

• RockLobsterRockLobster Frets: 1
    edited July 2019
    Where did you username come from?

Everyone must know the pain of creating a username. Years ago I resorted to going through song names as they popped into my head and I've been using it ever since. Thank you, B52s!

Edit: in case anyone should wonder why a smoking giraffe. That was the wisely chosen 'mascot' for the first band I made with friends. For no particular reason it was scrawled on our practice room wall. 

Where in the world/country are you?

In a little village near'ish' to Brighton. 

What's your main musical ambition?

Oh, I reeled that in a decade ago. Perhaps to pick up new songs as quickly as my old step-father.

Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

Objectively, the Guild F30R. Subjectively.... nah that would be cheating :P

Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Road - Nick Drake - Pink Moon 

As a teenager it was all Hard Rock and Grunge music. One night I was up late watching Pink Floyd's Live in Pompeii on some hidden free-view channel. Afterwards this comes on and I was like 'dang, I need an acoustic guitar!'.