Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
    Blob said:
    Q1:  Where did you username come from? From my Dad who when I was born, with no hair and quite plump, thought I looked like a "blob".

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Buckingham

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To feel confident enough with my playing to jam and maybe even gig.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Fender Thinline P90 Telecaster

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Changes all the time but if I had to narrow it down to one all time, it would have to be Down by the River, Neil Young
    Hello all,

Glad to be joining the community, even though my enthusiasm far exceeds my guitar skills. A few details:

Q1: It come from decades ago, when, as a child, I was called so by my brothers' and sisters' pals, where I was the junior. No idea who came up with it first, but it stuck.

Q2: I am from Cambridgeshire, UK.

Q3: Ambition is an overstatement, my goal is to be able to produce sounds on guitar that do not sound bad.

Q4: Godin Core CT HB in Sunburst. I am currently planning a complete overhaul of its electronics, replacing the standard Godin GH-1n/SD SH-1b with a pair of Wolfetone Dr Vintage, as well as all the other electronics.

Q5: Led Zeppelin - Over the Hills and Far Away at the moment, hard to say in general.

Thanks a lot!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    edited February 2021
    -
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    Hi, I'm Alec from Horwich in Lancashire.
    I've been playing the guitar for about 3 years and some Ukulele before that. Mostly it's been classical for the last 2 years or so, although I also am trying to learn some pieces out of  the Mel Bay book "Masters of the Plectrum Guitar", a style I also enjoy.
    In answer to the questions:
    My user name comes from the fact I have 2 sons, and  most of my life seems to revolve around them, so to most people I know I am Tom (or Harry's) Dad.
    My guitar ambition is to one day be able to play Capriccio Arabe by Francisco Tarrega.
    In terms of kit, if the house were burning down, I'd probably rescue my Asturias classical guitar first.
    I guess in this forum the number one track has to be something with guitar in it, and I love jazz, so perhaps I'd go for Django Reinhardt - Minor Swing.  There's a fantastic version of it on youtube by Joscho Stefan, my current favourite guitar hero
  • Blob said:
    Q1:  Where did you username come from? My favourite band ever is Mott The Hoople and Madsadows is one of their albums :)

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Lewisham, London, UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To improve as a player.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?Epiphone Genesis Pro Deluxe six string guitar, http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Designer/Genesis-Deluxe-PRO.aspx

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? That's a hard question but it'll have to be The Ballad Of Mott The Hoople by Mott The Hoople, that's the song that gave me my life-long love of music :)
  • NorrlandNorrland Frets: 3
    TTony said:

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Q1:  My username is from the Northern region for Sweden.
    Q2:  I live in Sweden
    Q3:  I just fool around on guitar.  I'm not that good, but I have fun.
    Q4:  My best bit of gear is my Peavey Invective 120. 
    Q5:  Winery Dogs - We Are One 
  • hi all steve here been playing guitar for 30 years and i am a graduate of BIMM where i was lucky enough to have been taught by among others Guthrie Govan for  a year
    Q1:  Where did you username come from? it come from my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_Tbkmi14GmDkmDtpTcbqLg?view_as=subscriber

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Cornwall UK

to play guitar and share my knowledge from 30 years experience

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear
     my Ibanez Jem 7 BSB

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - can't pick just one
  • MichaelATMichaelAT Frets: 12
    Hi all,
    I'm Michael, 37 years, been playing the guitar for some 20 years now! Still I'm nowhere near I'd like to be, skill-wise... Maybe because I spend too much time online instead of playing the guitar :)

Well, not too creative: as I live in Austria, I simply took MichaelAT as my username.

Austria, close to Vienna.

I play in an alternative rock band called "Lost in Majority": http://www.lostinmajority.at
    With the band, I already achieved more than I ever thought I/we would. We recently recorded a proper album/EP and we're not available on most digital channels, e.g. https://open.spotify.com/artist/4vwT4SG6ij7g25La0PqCTA

Outside of the band, I gravitate more and more to soul, funk, R&B type of sounds. And on this track I realized how bad my chops are! Currently I am mostly focusing on my right hand technique/timing, and playing cleanly. Back to the basics!

Without a doubt my '86 MIJ 62 Strat. I was a Gibson Les Paul guy for many years, had a Tele for a while & only touched the one or the other Strat for few times. Because of my love for Frusciante I picked up the 62 Strat unplayed, was an online deal. When I received it and played the first few chords, it really made 'click'. Now I almost exclusively play it, outside of the band context.

Very difficult. I previous user postings I noticed lots of Oasis tunes. Love the band, and they for sure introduced me to the world of guitar-driven rock music. In my current mood, I'd say my #1 track however is Little Wing by Jimi himself (yet I also dig the SRV version a lot).

• Mika88Mika88 Frets: 0

Q1:  Where did you username come from? 10% Tampa Bay, 20% UK, 70% Zimbabwe

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? London, never sunny London.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? Play guitar

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? That dude from Oasis's guitar cab

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Keefmaster  by Bongzilla

• 1) I'm in a reggae band but would like to be in a surf band too.
      2) On a boat in Gloucestershire. The ducks are having a turf(?) war outside.
      3) To be slightly less crap on the guitar. Or generally.
      4) Quilter heads- I now have the posture of a Greek god.
      5) Today- Sons of Slaves, Junior Delgado....
           tomorrow- The Streak, Ray Stevens.

• MarchMarch Frets: 286
    edited March 2019
    OK. Here goes... 

It's a variation on my first name and surname. 

Originally from Herefordshire, now live in Hertfordshire. It's just a one letter change, easier for the memory...

Have already played in a touring band and recorded. These days play for fun and very occasionally attend local jams. 

I'm fortunate, I have many "best bits of gear", but if I had to pick one, it would be my Bogner Ecstasy 101B with the Marvel mod. It does everything I need of it. 

Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. It was Gilmour's playing on that track that made me want to pick up the guitar in the first place. 
  • Hi
    1. My name is Jim and I’m a jock therefore jimmythejock
    2. Originally from Cumbernauld near Glasgow but now a soft southerner based in Baldock North Herts. 
    3. To be able to play a lick without sticking my tongue out. 
    4. I’ll stick with my Gordon Smith GS60 Gold Top with coil tapped humbuckers. 
    5. Too many songs so won’t try. 
  • Hi all, lets give this a go...

Q1: Where did your username come from?
    A friend at college started calling me Mirichello after I learnt a RATM track. My surname (Mirich) mixed with Tom Morello. I've been Mirichello ever since. 

Q2: Where in the world/country are you?
    I'm based in Norfolk, UK. Not far from Hunstanton.

Q3: Whats your main musical ambition?
    First and foremost; to chase tone and eventually catch it. A bit like that one episode of Wile E Coyote.

Q4: Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?
    My '98 Gibson Les Paul Studio, with BKP Blackhawks. I've yet to find another guitar which reacts in my hands like that does. 

Q5: Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? 
    Van Halen - Beautiful Girls
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EtohEtoh Frets: 1
    edited March 2019
    Deleted
  • Hi, new member actually in the US.  Have played guitar for 16 years now and have been into boutique gear etc. since about 2004.  Been a longtime member of a few other guitar forums.
  • Been using Daviedawg for a long time on various boards.
    Live near Stonehaven on East coast Aberdeenshire Scotland.
    Main musical ambition is to build amps with great tone and simple controls
    My Marshall 18 watt clone is my favourite amp. My Fender Shawbucker is my most played guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AndySolAndySol Frets: 1
    Hi Everybody! 

My username is an extremely imaginative combination of real bits of my name!  =) I'm based in Lincolnshire in the UK and play in a cover/function band - I've been playing for 28 odd years. My musical ambition is just to keep enjoying it (And maybe one day, finish me pedalboard....HAAAAA!) My best bit of gear? Errrrrrr My fingers....

• AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 174

My dad used to call me Axlotl; I just personalised it a bit  

York, UK  I lived in Christchurch NZ for about five years, too  

Enjoy myself!

My MIJ Mustang Bass, kind of by default. But I’m looking at returning to the guitar after 10 or so years off.

Always Crashing In The Same Car by David Bowie. 

—————————————

Anyway, hello everyone.

I’ve been an intermittent player of fretted things (guitars, mandolins, ukuleles, basses) most of my life. Pushing 40 now, with two kids, and get very little time to myself, so have no regular group to play with. Still playing a bit of bass, but it’s not so much fun by yourself, so thinking of making the jump back to guitar. Here to help hone my choice, and maybe spot something suitable in the classifieds!

• Q1:  Where did you username come from? It's Just my name, as my usual "nickname" was already taken... ;-)

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Antwerp, Belgium - The home of delicious Chocolate & LOTS OF GREAT BEERS... 

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? Doing a total of 2-3 gigs a months with my 2 different "Cover" projects 

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?    a Vintage Fender Blackface DELUXE REVERB from 1965

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?   Purple Rain

[edit]
    ChristophEar has created a Spotify playlist of all the #1 tracks
    Everyone's #1 tracks.

And I just "stickied" this for as long as we've got lots of new rejoiners arriving!

• I'm Keith, 37, and I live in Texas.  I started drums in school, learned guitar thinking I'd never have a drumset in the house, then low an behold, I ended up with both.  Now I've become quite a gear collector; owning 8 guitars, 2 basses, 2 drumsets, and 3 amps at the moment.  But don't hold me to that.  Those numbers increase from time to time.  I work in electronics, I've made one pedal from scratch, down to laying out the PCB myself (that's my job), and I've assembled many as well. 

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  I actually created this username back in the mid 90's, metalshredder - my favorite music and I play guitar, and no one had thought of it yet!

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?  not far from Houston, TX, USA

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?  Let's see, the plan was to basically be the next Metallica, tour the world, become insanely rich and incredibly famous.  Since that didn't happen, I'm hopping into a 90's alternative rock cover band with a buddy.  I've played drums in bands for several years, finally time to do one playing guitar.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?  Probably have to be my Marshall JCM2000 half stack.  It's a great amp, and despite any other amps I try, I keep going back to the Marshall.  It speaks my language.  Aside from that, and despite having much more expensive pieces, my first guitar.  Jackson Dinky Reverse.  I think it was a model unique to Musicians Friend in the mid 90's, and this thing is just a tank.  It can take a beating and always stays in tune, no trouble.  It's had a few pickup swaps and a few paintjobs, and it keeps on rockin'.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?  That's a tough one, since what I'm "into" changes every now and then.  I'll go with the track that made me want to learn guitar.  Thunderstruck by AC/DC.  The live version in particular.  The energy those guys play with is inspiring to say the least.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @metalshredder Dude! \m/ Welcome!