Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your Worst Musicians Of All Time

What's Hot

Comments

• I see no ones argued about Yoko.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Les Dawson....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    edited September 2014
    I see no ones argued about Yoko.
    I would. She isn't a musician, so she can't be the worst one.

She's an artist, and I think it's important for artists to occasionally push the boundaries of what can be considered art. I genuinely like some of her stuff too. Some of her set at Glastonbury was interesting and actually quite enjoyable. 

And yes, I am serious :).

She is also 81 years old! To even be performing on a festival stage at that age is fairly remarkable in itself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Agreed. There seems to be a residual dislike for her, probably dating back to the belief that she broke up The Beatles.

I saw her interviewed by Jonathan Ross several years ago and was struck by how likeable she was. One of the world's truly interesting people....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Usual suspects I suppose,  Kirk Hammett, Slash and a toss up between Clapton or Page,  but then I have odd tastes and rate TomVerlaine v highly along with Reeves Gabrels etc, so I am probably beyond redemption for 75% of the regs ;)
  • ^ really?

Surely to be 'the worst', there has to be a significant level of incompetence.

No one you've mentioned legitimately falls into to that category.
    Worst is a very subjective thing and I find those 3/4 the most irritating to listen to, especially as guitar players. Worst in relation to Page/Clapton could relate at their inability to evolve and rely on playing the same old cliche'd stuff over and over again . Many of the players I admire continually re-invent or try new things to grow as musicians and writers , so that is one of my valid ( for me ) reasons for referring to them as the "worst" musicians .

• Or you could take the view that they innovated so significantly in their youth that there was no realistic prospect that they would continue to do so in later life. I'm not sure how that makes them the 'worst' musician....

You could suggest that Dylan was/is a poor song-writer because his musicianship limits his harmonic horizons. If you did, I'd disagree with that assertion as well...
    Songwriting and musicianship are very different beasts indeed .
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2014
    Bon Jovi.

Rock music with everything that makes rock music great taken out. Lame, boring, soulless, cliched, middle-of-the-road horseshit, and Jon Bon Jovi's voice is truly hateful. I'd rather be thrown down a well than ever have to listen to them again.

Nicki Minaj.

She seems to have a music career despite never, to my knowledge, having created anything that sounds remotely like music.

Whitney Houston/Mariah Carey/Beyonce etc. etc.

This shit is the sonic equivalent of waterboarding. Just thinking about their music literally makes my skin fall off.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Muse. I just can't see it.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Bucket said:
    Bon Jovi.

Rock music with everything that makes rock music great taken out. Lame, boring, soulless, cliched, middle-of-the-road horseshit, and Jon Bon Jovi's voice is truly hateful. I'd rather be thrown down a well than ever have to listen to them again.

Worst musicians? you are having a laff. You just mean that you don't like them. Sambora does great solos for that kind of material. 

Worst musician: You guys need to look up Lil Wayne playing guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    axisus said:
    Bucket said:
    Bon Jovi.

Worst musicians? you are having a laff. You just mean that you don't like them. Sambora does great solos for that kind of material. 

Are you insane?

Yes they're the Kylie of Metal but Torres and Sambora are virtuosos for sure. Utterly brilliant musicians.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Marc Bolan's guitar playing: He was competent enough at what he did, but he could do very little. That would put him way down in the pecking order of "good" guitarists, but I'm not sure whether it qualifies him for a "worst" nomination.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Re Neil Young- to prove a point here he is smoking Clapton off the stage for musicality and passion.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ezp6u_bob-dylan-my-back-pages-hd_music

• axisus said:
    I did. I see (hear) what you mean.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Gassage said:
    Re Neil Young- to prove a point here he is smoking Clapton off the stage for musicality and passion.

I completely disagree. Clappo was way more fluent, way more melodic. Whereas you can actually hear Young's lack of technique
    Gassage said:

I completely disagree. Clappo was way more fluent, way more melodic. Whereas you can actually hear Young's lack of technique
    Really? I thought Clapton was absolutely generic whereas Young totally lifted the solo....

Just goes to show ....one man's meat etc...

• Gassage said:
    Gassage said:

Really? I thought Clapton was absolutely generic whereas Young totally lifted the solo....

fair enough, we can agree to differ. I'd also say that Clapton sounded like a man comfortable in his own skin, playing what the song needed. It's an easy-going country-rock number, and from what I can tell from the words, they are those of a man who has mellowed with age. It didn't need a solo from someone who thinks he's got something to prove, full of teenage punk-angst. But hey, I got something from one part of it, you got something from another part. Let's both be happy :) 
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:

fair enough, we can agree to differ. I'd also say that Clapton sounded like a man comfortable in his own skin, playing what the song needed. It's an easy-going country-rock number, and from what I can tell from the words, they are those of a man who has mellowed with age. It didn't need a solo from someone who thinks he's got something to prove, full of teenage punk-angst. But hey, I got something from one part of it, you got something from another part. Let's both be happy :) 

Indeedy....it would be a very boring forum if we all agreed!