Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your Worst Musicians Of All Time

What's Hot

Comments

• I think Macca and the Beatles are often over rated, sometimes as though that combination of guitar, bass and drums didn't exist before them. They stole quite heartily from rock'n'roll and r'n'b artists and later heavily inspired by the likes of the Beach Boys. Not that I object to what they did, just to the notion perpetrated by popular journalism ( or some such phrase)that they invented so much out of thin air. Indeed, all credit to Macca that he tends to credit his influences.
    I agree with some of this certainly in the early years. But they wrote there own songs At a time when, very few other bands did. They brought r and b/ motown into the mainstream. As well as avant garde techniques music concrete, tape loops, world music, the recording studio as an instrument in itself. They didn't invent as much as they're credited for in some quarters but they expanded and developed these techniques and opened them up to the world. IMHO ymmv etc. Etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    edited September 2014
    I think it's really easy to undermine the importance of The Beatles, over forty years after they broke up. Especially if you're cynical...

I just don't get people who do.They never seemed shy of admitting their influences - from Chuck Berry onwards - things like Norwegian Wood are obviously influenced by Dylan, Sgt Pepper was clearly their repost to Pet Sounds.

I cannot think of any band which combined mainstream popularity with such musical development, in such a short time. From Twist and Shout to A Day I in the Life in a little more than four years.... That was some creative distance travelled.

Along the way we had Lennon's beautiful 'In My Life', written in his mid-20s, yet reflecting on his life in a way that most only do in their Autumn years - a lyric truly beyond its writer's years.... For me, one of the finest songs ever written.

They may not be to everyone's taste but I consider it impossible not to see them as world-changing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

Me.

I'm fucking awful.

I only buy guitars because they are shiny and I like loud noises.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    edited September 2014
    @Rocker I don't see it as being much different to the worst guitar/amplifier you've had to use or the worst record covers, so long as nobody takes offence because one of their favourites happens to be on someone else's worst list. We've even had a worst food list recently.
    @Phil_aka_Pip, I understand what you are saying.  My point is, and I did not express it clearly enough, that for a "worst" guitar player then we must have a "best" guitar player to compare someone else to.  Who here would agree that XXXXXXXX is the best guitar player on the planet?

Your point about worst guitar/amplifier proves my point as now we are dealing with hardware, equipment that you or I could buy in a shop, and formulate our own opinions on. Note equipment and not people.

But when comparing people, the definition needs to be absolute.  In Olympic 1500 metre running for example, is the guy who finishes 50 seconds behind the second last runner in the first round heat the worst 1500 metre runner in the world?  Of course not. He qualified for the Olympics, and as an Olympian he is already ahead of most of the amateur runners that plod our streets each day.  He may have been the worst in the field but that does not make him the worst in the world.

To put it simply, we have to define the best before we can nominate the worst.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I think it's really easy to undermine the importance of The Beatles, over forty years after they broke up. Especially if you're cynical...

I just don't get people who do.They never seemed shy of admitting their influences - from Chuck Berry onwards - things like Norwegian Wood are obviously influenced by Dylan, Sgt Pepper was clearly their repost to Pet Sounds.

I cannot think of any band which combined mainstream popularity with such musical development, in such a short time. From Twist and Shout to A Day I in the Life in a little more than four years.... That was some creative distance travelled.

Along the way we had Lennon's beautiful 'In My Life', written in his mid-20s, yet reflecting on his life in a way that most only do in their Autumn years - a lyric truly beyond its writer's years.... For me, one of the finest songs ever written.

They may not be to everyone's taste but I consider it impossible not to see them as world-changing.
    This isn;t about undermining the beatles. This is the man who committed at least 2 of the worst crimes against music that have ever been unleashed onto the world and is responsible for the misery and suffering of thousands, if not millions of individuals.

No matter what else he did that's good you can;t come back from that sort of thing.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne and pretty much most current rap/hip hop 'artist' that sings about how much money they have. I'm sure they're responsible for the declining IQ's of todays 13-25 year olds.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72414
    And a drummer....

When Lennon was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, his response was, "He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles". He played drums on Dear Prudence, Martha My Dear, Wild Honey Pie and The Ballad if John and Yoko.
    … thus proving for all time that Ringo was the better drummer.

Apparently Lennon was actually joking, but as with a lot of people with a very dry humour, it might have been hard to tell.

I understand your saying it with disappointment but as Yoko was unlistenable shite, I don't think being worse than her is possible
    He was embarrassing unlistenable shite who wasn't even in tune and time with his own backing track, if I remember rightly…

Yoko has the advantage because she isn't supposed to be in tune and in time :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    edited September 2014
    1) Coldplay
    2) Coldplay
    3) I'll have a think, but probably Coldplay.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • This one's for you Phil. (The fun really begins at 1:28). 

Enjoy...

:)

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    Steve Vai (there I said it- the master of bland shredding)
    A while ago I bought a Vai anthology from a charity shop out of curiosity - how far wrong can you go for £2? :) - and was very surprised and pleased to discover I had been wrong about him. Yes, some of it is what I would describe as bland shredding, but a large amount is much more interesting, tasteful, humourous and just plain musical than I ever expected. I wouldn't say he's my favourite player, but I do genuinely like some of it.

It's 'The Infinite Steve Vai', if you haven't already made up your mind!

I haven't come across the equivalent Malmsteen album yet, but it wouldn't actually totally surprise me if I was wrong about him too.

Nice one. It's good when one's open about new experiences and ends up pleasantly surprised. Bravo.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • @Skarloey I take it the silly screecher was Yoko? Silly bitch should have been drowned at birth
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited September 2014
    @Skarloey I take it the silly screecher was Yoko? Silly bitch should have been drowned at birth
    What an unpleasant man you are. I'll leave it to the bard of Salford
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Mike Patton
    GET OUT.

Wait, sorry:

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • You guys set a high bar to get a band that were not up to scratch so here is my contribution - please stick with it till 1m 40s when it goes in for the kill!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kvJ1aceD6s

I don't understand why they aren't wearing t-shirts but that is their preference - ENJOY!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    ICBM said:
    Yoko.
    I would. 
    Just noticed the potential this has to be misquoted for comic effect, so obviously...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Georgie said:

You guys set a high bar to get a band that were not up to scratch so here is my contribution - please stick with it till 1m 40s when it goes in for the kill!!

I don't understand why they aren't wearing t-shirts but that is their preference - ENJOY!!

This actually may be the most entertaining version of that particular tune I have heard in a long time.  Nothing against the original; however, too much radio play has just killed it for me.

@Frankus, is this that Jazz that you're always on about?

@Georgie, thank you for brightening up my day.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    hmm that wasn't the kind of mention I was expecting in the Worst Musicians of All Time thread ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited September 2014
    frankus said:
    hmm that wasn't the kind of mention I was expecting in the Worst Musicians of All Time thread ;)
    You're lucky: I wasn't even good enough to make it on to this list. :D
  • Surely Henry Kaiser should be in here. There are dozens of clips but here's one at random, around 6:03 is a good example of his "playing" (though a Dumble no less):

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15972
    Georgie said:

You guys set a high bar to get a band that were not up to scratch so here is my contribution - please stick with it till 1m 40s when it goes in for the kill!!

Mother of God when he "sings" oh oh oh oh.......it's the FUNNIEST thing I have heard in many many years
    tae be or not tae be