Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your Worst Musicians Of All Time

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72413
    Marc Bolan's guitar playing: He was competent enough at what he did, but he could do very little. That would put him way down in the pecking order of "good" guitarists, but I'm not sure whether it qualifies him for a "worst" nomination.
    I agree - terrible guitarist, but a good musician. He could write catchy songs and had a great rhythm groove and feel, which is why he had several hit records.

Good guitarist, terrible musician… Yngwie Malmsteen.

In my opinion :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mike Patton
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Actually on the great guitarist/terrible musician thing

Doyle Bramhall- dreadful.
    Steve Vai (there I said it- the master of bland shredding)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's a definite difference between virtuosity and musicianship to me. The word 'taste' springs to mind.

I find players like Mike Campbell or Robbie Mackintosh - who play 'for' the song, rather than trample all over it - far more musical than any shredder.

I can admire the hard yards the likes of Vai/Guthrie Govan/Malmsteem, et al must have put in - I just can't bear listening to them. I suspect non-guitars players don't buy their records....
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited September 2014

The keyboard player in this band ... don't you just want to kill him!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCXEn9zvbfA

Is there an integral butt plug in that stool?

Gassage said:
    Steve Vai (there I said it- the master of bland shredding)
    A while ago I bought a Vai anthology from a charity shop out of curiosity - how far wrong can you go for £2? :) - and was very surprised and pleased to discover I had been wrong about him. Yes, some of it is what I would describe as bland shredding, but a large amount is much more interesting, tasteful, humourous and just plain musical than I ever expected. I wouldn't say he's my favourite player, but I do genuinely like some of it.

It's 'The Infinite Steve Vai', if you haven't already made up your mind!

I haven't come across the equivalent Malmsteen album yet, but it wouldn't actually totally surprise me if I was wrong about him too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM

My dislike of Vai stemmed from the Seville Guitar Legends concert-

When May, Satch and Vai shared the solo from Alright Now, May just blew Vai off the stage for phrasing and vibrato....

You may beg to differ...YMMV etc..

No, I don't disagree! It's awful. To be honest, the whole thing is, like most multi-guitarist live shows… even May is not that good.

Just don't write off Vai because of it - he's actually much better than that.

• ICBM;344940" said:
    Gassage said:Steve Vai (there I said it- the master of bland shredding)

A while ago I bought a Vai anthology from a charity shop out of curiosity - how far wrong can you go for £2? :) - and was very surprised and pleased to discover I had been wrong about him. Yes, some of it is what I would describe as bland shredding, but a large amount is much more interesting, tasteful, humourous and just plain musical than I ever expected. I wouldn't say he's my favourite player, but I do genuinely like some of it.

It's 'The Infinite Steve Vai', if you haven't already made up your mind!

I haven't come across the equivalent Malmsteen album yet, but it wouldn't actually totally surprise me if I was wrong about him too.
    I think Vai is someone who likes to push his boundaries, not my favourite musician but to see him just as a shredder is missing the point of what he does. I'd put Flex Able by him as one of my favourite albums - some great raw guitar and some non guitar wackiness.
    Malmsteen I don't find very listenable but I saw him live a few years ago and was totally blown away, just this force of nature.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Steven Seagal , thinks he is a blues guitarist , he`s even on tour with his band - LOL

Check him out on youtube if you want a laugh - you won`t watch it to the end.

He`s worse than me. :-?

10thumbs said:

Steven Seagal , thinks he is a blues guitarist , he`s even on tour with his band - LOL

He thinks he's an actor too, so that doesn't come as a great surprise.

• Anybody who's championed by NME and has a daft name, like We Are Scientists, I Am Kloot, The Pidgeon Detectives and Yourcodenameismilo...

Etc.
    I Am Kloot are actually really fucking good!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • close2u said:

The keyboard player in this band ... don't you just want to kill him!!

I couldn't hear what he did wrong. I was expecting him to splat the track with unwanted keyboard sounds and he didn't, he just did some BVs and added what must have been some very subtle sound to the chorus. The only thing he did wrong (apart from bouncing on his stool) was ignoring the main vocalist  who came to join him on the last chorus.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    ... (apart from bouncing on his stool)
    How can you relegate that that bouncing to a mere 'apart from'? That bouncing is the very essence of what I was getting at.
  • close2u said:
    ... (apart from bouncing on his stool)
    How can you relegate that that bouncing to a mere 'apart from'? That bouncing is the very essence of what I was getting at.
    so you'd rate him as a "worst musician" for that despite him not having done anything musically wrong? Or were you being "ironic", as I have recently been accused of not recognising it?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Gassage said:
    Worst musicians? you are having a laff. You just mean that you don't like them. Sambora does great solos for that kind of material. 
    Are you insane?

Yes they're the Kylie of Metal but Torres and Sambora are virtuosos for sure. Utterly brilliant musicians.
    Never said they couldn't play, but as I said - I'd rather be thrown down a well than ever listen to them again.

Although admittedly it's mostly Jon Bon Jovi's voice which makes me feel that way.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    It depends what you mean. 

Do you mean the three worst musicians who have achieved significant fame?

If not then I'm going for these guys:

That is awesome! :)
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    I'll take Malmsteen over Vai and Satch as those earlier albums are actually really good records. Not sure how ground breaking he was but certainly one of the best known exponents of that Swedish style.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got those Malmsteen records. There's some good stuff on them, once you've ignored the vocals.