Got any favourite 'old school' metal albums?

What's Hot

Comments

• Reverend said:
    gordiji said:
    Sin after Sin , Judas Priest's finest when metal was called heavy/hard rock. Ian Gillan's Mr Universe, it disappeared down the plughole but was a great album and tour.

Mt Universe is an all time great Especially Secret Of The Dance
    Who knew that the keyboard player on that record would one day reach the dizzying heights of creating the music on Doc Martin? 
    I've long since lost my cassette of Mr U but I can still hum a lot of it. Start of my appreciation of Bernie Torme. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Reverend said:
    gordiji said:
    Sin after Sin , Judas Priest's finest when metal was called heavy/hard rock. Ian Gillan's Mr Universe, it disappeared down the plughole but was a great album and tour.

Mt Universe is an all time great Especially Secret Of The Dance
    Who knew that the keyboard player on that record would one day reach the dizzying heights of creating the music on Doc Martin? 
    I've long since lost my cassette of Mr U but I can still hum a lot of it. Start of my appreciation of Bernie Torme. 
    I first bought it on the Famelp. Then got the original Acrobat release. Ive since acquired the recent Demon reissues on normal and pic disc. 
    I once saw John McCoy drive past me in a jeep; turns out that Bernie Torme lived literally 300 yards from me and I had no idea. Joe Elliot lived next door to him but that isn't even remotely as cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Early stuff by Girlschool, Raven, Angelwitch, Urchin and others come to mind. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    Axe Attack Vol ii, and Vol i as well
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    It's definitely not metal, except perhaps in a proto-hair-metal kind of way, but I've been listening to Starz quite a lot recently.  You have to overlook some very dubious sweet-sixteen type lyrics, but I think they were ahead of their time in being poppy but really quite rocking, in the mid to late 1970s.

Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    This evening I listened to Licence to Kill by Malice, after which Spotify took me into a pretty decent playlist - Icon, Madam X, The Rods, Hurricane, Lillian Axe, Sword, Fifth Angel, Shok Paris, Stone Fury, Vicious Rumors.... I love Spotify.
    I really need night Icon night of the crime ,but can’t justify buying it at the moment as my list of records to buy is so long 

edit 

I need to bump NOTC to top of the list ,it’s so my kinda stuff 

Yeah, it's a really good album.  I've got it on vinyl, not CD... in fact everything I've posted in this thread is stuff I bought on vinyl, before I started buying CDs.  Some of them I did also buy on CD, years later.
    @hollywoodrox I've just been listening to Night of the Crime - and singing along, I was surprised to find I still remember nearly all the lyrics, 37 years on!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    This evening I listened to Licence to Kill by Malice, after which Spotify took me into a pretty decent playlist - Icon, Madam X, The Rods, Hurricane, Lillian Axe, Sword, Fifth Angel, Shok Paris, Stone Fury, Vicious Rumors.... I love Spotify.
    I really need night Icon night of the crime ,but can’t justify buying it at the moment as my list of records to buy is so long 

edit 

I need to bump NOTC to top of the list ,it’s so my kinda stuff 

Yeah, it's a really good album.  I've got it on vinyl, not CD... in fact everything I've posted in this thread is stuff I bought on vinyl, before I started buying CDs.  Some of them I did also buy on CD, years later.
    @hollywoodrox I've just been listening to Night of the Crime - and singing along, I was surprised to find I still remember nearly all the lyrics, 37 years on!
    Well done 
  • BtrcuBtrcu Frets: 99
    Apologies for bumping an old thread, but found this after searching for Savatage, which somehow passed me by completely as I was growing up.

A lot of my favourite albums have already been listed, but amongst those that haven't, I'm going to say:

Breaking the Silence - Heathen
    Come Out and Play - Twisted Sister
    Battle Hymns - Manowar
    Too Fast for Love - Motley Crue

Speak of the Devil - Ozzy Osbourne (although all Black Sabbath songs) - LIVE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    heathen are massively overlooked. Such a killer album. all those albums are in fact great. 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1127
    Testament - "Practice What You Preach" and "Low".  
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9667
    Sin After Sin, Stained Class, and Unleashed In The East by Judas Priest. Takes me back to being 14 again.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    The first five Black Sabbath albums.

The first three Rainbow albums if they still count as metal (debatable/probably not).

Jethro Tull - Crest Of A Knave.

Joke :). It’s not a metal album despite that ridiculous Grammy win, and anyway I don’t really like it even though I’m an (earlier) Tull fan.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    The first three Rainbow albums if they still count as metal (debatable/probably not).
    I think they do, as we are talking old school.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11889
    ICBM said:

This by the bucketload.  Not just any old metal albums - THE metal albums.  Volume 4 is in my top 10 favourite albums, period.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    May feel a bit early in the context of some of these - but do try Deep Purple's "In Rock" album.   It's the one that made them and it's pretty much set the mould that much of the music above came from - more so than the early Sabbath.
    Offset said:
    ICBM said:
    This by the bucketload.  Not just any old metal albums - THE metal albums.  Volume 4 is in my top 10 favourite albums, period.
    I think I'd go first six.  Sabotage is underrated.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11889
    May feel a bit early in the context of some of these - but do try Deep Purple's "In Rock" album.   It's the one that made them and it's pretty much set the mould that much of the music above came from - more so than the early Sabbath.
    Hmmmm.  I've never considered DP to be a 'metal' band (cue Bad News-type bickering).  Hard rock yes, metal no.
    Offset said:
    Hmmmm.  I've never considered DP to be a 'metal' band (cue Bad News-type bickering).  Hard rock yes, metal no.
    Tempted to argue, but it could go on forever...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    Btrcu said:
    Apologies for bumping an old thread, but found this after searching for Savatage, which somehow passed me by completely as I was growing up.

A lot of my favourite albums have already been listed, but amongst those that haven't, I'm going to say:

Breaking the Silence - Heathen
    Come Out and Play - Twisted Sister
    Battle Hymns - Manowar
    Too Fast for Love - Motley Crue

Speak of the Devil - Ozzy Osbourne (although all Black Sabbath songs) - LIVE
    Coming back to “motley crue” via bizarrely mick wall (the old kerrang journo’s podcast) I’ve found the songs and riffs to be impressively tricky to play as well as memorable ( or maybe I’m jus5 a terrible guitar player)