Got any favourite 'old school' metal albums?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11882
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    May feel a bit early in the context of some of these - but do try Deep Purple's "In Rock" album.   It's the one that made them and it's pretty much set the mould that much of the music above came from - more so than the early Sabbath.
    Hmmmm.  I've never considered DP to be a 'metal' band (cue Bad News-type bickering).  Hard rock yes, metal no.
    Tempted to argue, but it could go on forever...
    ...and Who Wants To Live Forever...?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72498
    I've never thought of Deep Purple as a metal band - they're hard rock or heavy rock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    If you are looking for live stuff then -

MSG - One Night at Budokan
    Scorpions - World Wide Live
    AC/DC - If you want blood 
    Whitesnake - Live in the Heart of the City
    Kiss - Alive
    Ozzy (with Randy Rhoads) - Tribute

Edit - maybe more heavy rock than heavy metal 

This was all classed as heavy metal when I was a lad 
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    ICBM said:
    I've never thought of Deep Purple as a metal band - they're hard rock or heavy rock.
    Why so? I've no idea what the definition of a "metal" band is but, personally, I would put early '70s Deep Purple in the same broad musical genre as the same period Black Sabbath. Is it the dropped tunings and the lack of keyboards that makes the latter more "metal"?

Why so? I've no idea what the definition of a "metal" band is but, personally, I would put early '70s Deep Purple in the same broad musical genre as the same period Black Sabbath. Is it the dropped tunings and the lack of keyboards that makes the latter more "metal"?
    It’s difficult to explain exactly, but for me it’s something to do with the atmosphere of the songs. To me, they’re very different despite using similar sounds and musical elements…take two fairly extreme examples by each band, War Pigs is definitely metal, Woman From Tokyo is definitely not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    ICBM said:

It’s difficult to explain exactly, but for me it’s something to do with the atmosphere of the songs. To me, they’re very different despite using similar sounds and musical elements…take two fairly extreme examples by each band, War Pigs is definitely metal, Woman From Tokyo is definitely not.
    You could of course argue that Changes and Fluff aren't very metal either but I take your point. A song like Symptom of the Universe (which practically defines a genre) is a world away from, say, Highway Star (which, by most measures, is a "heavy" track).
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    As I got into heavy metal in 1982, I always saw purple as the first wave of heavy metal. heavy metal and heavy rock always crossed over to a great extent and so if you you se then as separate them you definitely are not old school.

Purple are not metal but they are heavy metal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 794
    Metallica - St Agner.  

Man I love that snare drum! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    edited April 24
    Reverend said:
    As I got into heavy metal in 1982, I always saw purple as the first wave of heavy metal. heavy metal and heavy rock always crossed over to a great extent and so if you you se then as separate them you definitely are not old school.

Purple are not metal but they are heavy metal. 
    Agreed.... I think.   All these terms can be used in very specific ways, but "heavy metal" is - or certainly was - also a blanket term to cover the whole range from AOR to extreme metal. 

When I started getting into this stuff in 1979, people still mentioned hard rock and heavy rock but they were old-fashioned terms, we described ourselves as heavy metal fans and that included bands who are definitely not "metal" in today's terms, like AC/DC, UFO, even possibly early-70s Status Quo(!!)... and definitely Deep Purple and all its offshoots.

Metal music, and the definitions of all the sub-genres, have changed so much over the last 50 years that very little of that stuff I was listening to in 1979 would now be called "metal", but those early bands certainly laid the foundations.
    I think Sabbath are probably the only one of the early heavy metal bands who are still metal in the modern sense.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23005
    ICBM said:
    I think Sabbath are probably the only one of the early heavy metal bands who are still metal in the modern sense.
    I think they have to be, because they invented the genre (I know people can niggle about the origins of the term, and talk about early proto-metal bands... but Black Sabbath invented heavy metal).

But in today's terms they might be doom...  ;)
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3518
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3518
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.