Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your most hated pedal sound ?

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7612
    DC offset ‘bang’
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 267
    NickB said:
    Fuzz. Apart from the riff to Satisfaction. The rest of it is a noise that, to my ears kills the tonality and character of the guitar and amp. 
    You don't like fuzz in ANY song other than Satisfaction? Wow! I mean, I sometimes struggle with using fuzzes, but there are so many great records with amazing fuzz tones  :o  :)
    Ha yeah true
    I don't like fuzz much but Isley brothers /summer breeze is iconic (I assume that is fuzz )
    So that’s another song that uses fuzz I like
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16214
    Actually , my most hated effect is radio interference .....I use a number of amps with a sophisticated switcher ( ground lifts , phase flippers etc ) but from time to time get bad radio interference .
    Interestingly it's never a mailine radio station........it's always some local ethnic type station ......
    Cue Bollywood Bhangra background ....some garbled Hindi and a Heads Up for Pradeep and Vikram Fashions in Southall ,..or
     " 'Ear me Now , Get down wit da Peckham Posse to Tyrone's Jerk Shack ,641 High Road .....Free Rice and Peas on Mondays wit every Pattie "
    The most recent airwave invader is a bit more educational ........I'm getting to grips with basic Kurdish at the same time as speeding up the half diminished arpeggio sweeps
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Habanero said:
    Fake digital ‘tape’ delay. I’ll never be convinced that real tape delay users didn’t wish they’d have less imperfections.
    Really interesting point here, same goes for microphone preamps and so on, Rupert Neve was trying to get them as clean as possible, but what everyone tries to emulate is the colour they bring.
  • I enjoy that the first three posts on here are some of my favourites  =)

the answer is very much Wah though. Absolutely horrific. Phaser is pretty shite too. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4290
    Another vote for chorus. Also I don’t know if this counts but seeing as people seem to primarily use the HX Stomp to achieve it, that anaemic wiry dry tone that all the neo soul insta-kids use
    digital Octave up devices that give a metallic plink to the back end of the note
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 467
    I didn't like Wah much til I recently heard a video of Wah Wah Watson playing with Herbie Hancock back in the 70's.  had and L5 and some delay and it sounds great (I like that kind of thing).  it could have been the bucket hat that made it sound good tho ...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2924
    edited November 2022
    I don't love clean digital delay, especially when loads is used for a lead tone. Cheesy and unnecessary.

Flanger usually sounds awful as well unless it's that nice warbly chorusy flange.

Shimmer reverb, I've always thought it sounds horrible.
    I only like Wah when I'm watching Shaft
  • Paul_C said:

Chorus
    This

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I don't actually hate any effects.
    What I can't stand is their overuse.
    Chorus and delay are the main suspects.
    I also can't bear youtube demos where the guys use the trem bar like their lives depended on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    With a couple of the notable mentions above, I really don't get the love for fuzz.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2924
    edited November 2022
    normula1 said:
    With a couple of the notable mentions above, I really don't get the love for fuzz.
    I do think fuzz is a bit overrated, or perhaps it's just people online seem to be overly gushy about pedals that mostly make your tone sound like a cheap distortion pedal. Ironically the only "fuzz" pedal I ever really get on with is the Rat which I guess is a cheap distortion pedal. With the gain turned up it has that fuzzy nastiness but doesn't thin out or get too muddy, and still cuts.
  • King of tone
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3922
    Ring mod. Pointless dirge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 661
    edited November 2022
    The Boss SD1.... It grates on me, I don't know why..must be the eq 
     I use TS type pedals and Rats with my Mesa and a Hotcake and Rats with my Vox.. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8198
    Talkbox.
    Physical assault should be permissible during times when this is in use.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    Hattigol said:
    Talkbox.

Woah! (wo-ah wo-ah wo-ah wo-ah wo-ah woe)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Snags said:
    Hattigol said:
    Talkbox.

Woah! (wo-ah wo-ah wo-ah wo-ah wo-ah woe)
    We decided to add It's My Life to the segment of gigs that is mainly songs for prosecco soaked mums. It sounds much better with just gain and no wah/humanizer type effect.