Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your most hated pedal sound ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Dominic said:
    I think cocked wah is one of those things you aren't always aware of. On Bowie records, Allman Brothers, Brian May, Bob Marley, Schenker and probably people who weren't recording in the 1970s. Probably Soundgarden, certainly Khruangbin. But maybe more useful like that than as the waggly wacka wacka thing. So I think it gets a let off for having a dual use. 
    No mistaking it on 'Money for nothing '
    Happy to be corrected on this but I think there’s a gap in the market for a cheap cocked wah in a box type pedal. There have been and are some expensive ones but if you can buy a wah for £60 why can’t you buy a cocked wah pedal for £60? Obviously you could just buy a wah but they are a bit weird in terms of pedal board use. Maybe it’s a bit niche. 
    I guess you could buy a mechanical wah wah pedal, by which I mean one with an actual rotary pot rather than hall effect or optical, take the circuit  and jack sockets out and stick it in a box with a footswitch and a pot ….
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 669
    edited November 2022
    Dominic said:
    I think cocked wah is one of those things you aren't always aware of. On Bowie records, Allman Brothers, Brian May, Bob Marley, Schenker and probably people who weren't recording in the 1970s. Probably Soundgarden, certainly Khruangbin. But maybe more useful like that than as the waggly wacka wacka thing. So I think it gets a let off for having a dual use. 
    Happy to be corrected on this but I think there’s a gap in the market for a cheap cocked wah in a box type pedal. There have been and are some expensive ones but if you can buy a wah for £60 why can’t you buy a cocked wah pedal for £60? Obviously you could just buy a wah but they are a bit weird in terms of pedal board use. Maybe it’s a bit niche. 
    Magnetic did one that seemed nice, but it was a bit more expensive than that: https://custompedalboards.co.uk/shop/pedals/magnetic-effects/magnetic-effects-midphoria/

IIRC, @Jonathanthomas83 had one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Magnetic did one that seemed nice, but it was a bit more expensive than that: https://custompedalboards.co.uk/shop/pedals/magnetic-effects/magnetic-effects-midphoria/

It's a thing that gets explored from time to time. Daredevil effects, Dunlop, Fulltone,etc. Just seems interesting how companies like Joyo, tc or Mooer have never made anything whilst happy to clone a Boss pedal that was made for three months in 1982. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Dominic said:

Yep, not something I found a use for outside of Money For Nothing, but if you're in a Dire Straits tribute, it's a good pedal to have around! Lovely looking thing and beautifully made. Think the new Origin FX does that sound too, though that's definitely on the upper end of the market!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8209
    Dominic said:

Yep, not something I found a use for outside of Money For Nothing, but if you're in a Dire Straits tribute, it's a good pedal to have around! Lovely looking thing and beautifully made. Think the new Origin FX does that sound too, though that's definitely on the upper end of the market!
    I have one. We do a couple of Bowie covers and it is a key part of the Ronson sound to my ears. Great when you get it just right.

Shame Magnetic closed down. Made some decent pedals.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Envelope filter. Cringy, quacky crap.
  • On the fixed-wah talk, the Redbeard Angry Rhubarb nails it. It does a shitload of other stuff brilliantly too. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72846

Having said that, I'm probably being a bit unreasonable, because flanging is just the same as phasing and chorus only with more delay, or did I dream that?
    No, it isn't. It's not at all the same as phasing - flanging is delay-based, phasing is phase-shift-based (naturally!) - and although chorus could be described as a very specific type of flanging, the usual settings (resonance/feedback especially) are different enough that it's as different as fuzz is from overdrive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8068
    Tube Screamer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Having said that, I'm probably being a bit unreasonable, because flanging is just the same as phasing and chorus only with more delay, or did I dream that?
    No, it isn't. It's not at all the same as phasing - flanging is delay-based, phasing is phase-shift-based (naturally!) - and although chorus could be described as a very specific type of flanging, the usual settings (resonance/feedback especially) are different enough that it's as different as fuzz is from overdrive.
    Sorry, I stand corrected.  Just read an article that said chorus uses delay (but longer than Flanging), phasing uses sweeping notch filters and flanging uses both.  
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2927
    Stone Deaf PDF/QBoost does the cocked wah thing too. Plus the Dunlop Q Zone of course. JHS haunting mids might do it? Fuzzdogs makes a cheap clone kit for that.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2336
    ICBM said:

In chorus and flanging, the whole of the modulated signal undergoes the same time delay at any given moment. In phasing, the modulated signal is delayed by a multiple (or sub-multiple) of its period, so the delay time is dependent on the frequency. Consequently the notches in the combined signal are spaced differently between the two classes of effect.
  • Keefy said:
    ICBM said:

In chorus and flanging, the whole of the modulated signal undergoes the same time delay at any given moment. In phasing, the modulated signal is delayed by a multiple (or sub-multiple) of its period, so the delay time is dependent on the frequency. Consequently the notches in the combined signal are spaced differently between the two classes of effect.
    Thank God Mr MXR understands all this stuff, ‘cos I know I don’t.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72846

Sorry, I stand corrected.  Just read an article that said chorus uses delay (but longer than Flanging), phasing uses sweeping notch filters and flanging uses both. 
    Flanging and chorus both use modulated delays - with flanging there’s additional feedback so the effect is intensified and produces a sweeping notch filter. Chorus delays are usually a bit longer, but if you have a flanger with a wide enough delay range and turn the feedback to zero, you can get chorus out of it.

Phasing works in the same sort of way other than the sweep is done using a phase shift not a delay - it also produces a notch filter, but the result is that the notches in a phaser are harmonically related to the signal, whereas with a flanger they aren’t and sound much more whooshy or metallic.

At low feedback settings and with a short delay, a flanger can sound roughly similar to a phaser too, although the difference is more obvious if you put through distortion - because the notches are unrelated to the signal frequencies it tends to sound more ring-modulatory and less ‘musical’ than a phaser.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ewalewal Frets: 2632
    I can't really separate effects from players or songs. I personally I'm useless with most modulation effects, however know and like bands who use it very well.

And all the wah haters - away listen to Swervedriver - Duress!
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    My most hated pedal sound is tremelo.

I love it when other people use it, but when I play, it turns into a complete mess, even using exactly the same settings
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31030
    Detuned vibrato.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    Detuned vibrato.
    Er... I'm not aware of another kind of vibrato.

Oddly, I loathe the vibrato you get by killing the dry signal in a chorus pedal, but love it when doing the same in a phaser.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31030
    Keefy said:
    Gassage said:
    Detuned vibrato.

Oddly, I loathe the vibrato you get by killing the dry signal in a chorus pedal, but love it when doing the same in a phaser.
    I meant when it's really deep, slow detuning. 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    Keefy said:
    Gassage said:
    Detuned vibrato.

I meant when it's really deep, slow detuning. 
    Ah ok, I know what you mean, a faster warble seems more tolerable.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom