Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your most hated pedal sound ?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• Sunburst said:
    Tuner - it really takes off a lot of top end and removes the hauntingness of my mids. 
    You probably need to spend more money, the mids wont be able to properly haunt you until you've spent over £250.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WTB22WTB22 Frets: 69
    Honestly, a Tube Screamer into a clean Fender style amp. That overly mid-pushed glassy tone, some would say SRV-ish. Not for me at all. I know, I stand in the minority here. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    For me any pedal except perhaps reverb and compression that seems to be always on or part of “my sound man”. Best use of any effect is sparingly, I probably use the wah or tremolo once a night in a three set gig. I know I’m a sad old fart but guitar/amp covers more than 50% of the stuff I play. I use a MEL9 on acoustic for the riff on sweet Caroline but nowhere else for example. I ok with wierd fx used musically.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlonde said:
    For me any pedal except perhaps reverb and compression that seems to be always on or part of “my sound man”. Best use of any effect is sparingly, I probably use the wah or tremolo once a night in a three set gig. I know I’m a sad old fart but guitar/amp covers more than 50% of the stuff I play. I use a MEL9 on acoustic for the riff on sweet Caroline but nowhere else for example. I ok with wierd fx used musically.
    Couldn’t agree more. Most of my live sound comes from the guitar and amp, then I use stomp boxes very sparingly for a bit of extra colour. I think FX should be like spices in cooking.  Use them enough to make it interesting but not so much as to overpower the dish!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chorus. Smacks of nauseating ‘80s riffs. Sorry. Not sorry. 
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1296
    edited December 2022
    + 1 for Tubescreamer
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 256
    Metalzone
    EHX Pan Pipe Emulator
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3847
    I think anything in the right context can sound great. Personally never been much into phaser or univibe.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2340
    edited December 2022
    Loobs said:
    I think anything in the right context can sound great. Personally never been much into phaser or univibe.
    I love a good phaser but I struggle to make Univibe work for me, despite it being a kind of phase shifter.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3661
    Granular delays. 

Great for hipster living room demos and upsetting the cat; useless for anything else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited December 2022
    ESBlonde said:
    Couldn’t agree more. Most of my live sound comes from the guitar and amp, then I use stomp boxes very sparingly for a bit of extra colour. I think FX should be like spices in cooking.  Use them enough to make it interesting but not so much as to overpower the dish!

I think just guitar and amp can sound great, and I think full on effects can sound great too.

I only play at home as a hobby and I don't understand others like this that stick their pedals on a board, for me part of the fun is setting up pedals in different ways, or just stripping back to a drive pedal or whatever. Creating cool effects chains is an art, plus creating cool ways of using them, imo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Came here to say chorus, but then changed my mind to ring modulation, and then I remembered bit crushers exist and they’re definitely the suckiest of the suckiest. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1074
    Old school multifx digital distortion... Bonus points if it's DI'd into the desk.