Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your most hated pedal sound ?

What's Hot

Comments

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 255
    I'm wondering if anyone is going to reply Boost? =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Habanero said:
    Personally, I can't stand Line Selectors, so overused ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2927
    Tubescreamers sound awful unless they're boosting/tightening a dirty amp with the gain off. Into a clean amp with the gain up they just sound so bad. Dry mid heavy weak bland overdrive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    Hattigol said:
    Dominic said:
    I think cocked wah is one of those things you aren't always aware of. On Bowie records, Allman Brothers, Brian May, Bob Marley, Schenker and probably people who weren't recording in the 1970s. Probably Soundgarden, certainly Khruangbin. But maybe more useful like that than as the waggly wacka wacka thing. So I think it gets a let off for having a dual use. 
    No mistaking it on 'Money for nothing '
    Happy to be corrected on this but I think there’s a gap in the market for a cheap cocked wah in a box type pedal. There have been and are some expensive ones but if you can buy a wah for £60 why can’t you buy a cocked wah pedal for £60? Obviously you could just buy a wah but they are a bit weird in terms of pedal board use. Maybe it’s a bit niche. 
    Magnetic did one that seemed nice, but it was a bit more expensive than that: https://custompedalboards.co.uk/shop/pedals/magnetic-effects/magnetic-effects-midphoria/

IIRC, @Jonathanthomas83 had one.
    Yep, not something I found a use for outside of Money For Nothing, but if you're in a Dire Straits tribute, it's a good pedal to have around! Lovely looking thing and beautifully made. Think the new Origin FX does that sound too, though that's definitely on the upper end of the market!
    I have one. We do a couple of Bowie covers and it is a key part of the Ronson sound to my ears. Great when you get it just right.

Shame Magnetic closed down. Made some decent pedals.
    I got a Midphoria and a Daredevil Atomic Cock

I prefer the Atomic Cock for ease of use. It just makes the right sound for me with minimal fuss
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7208
    TTBZ said:
    Tubescreamers sound awful unless they're boosting/tightening a dirty amp with the gain off. Into a clean amp with the gain up they just sound so bad. Dry mid heavy weak bland overdrive.
    For such a terrible overdrive pedal, it sure has been copied a lot over the past 40 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72846
    Habanero said:
    It’s not my most hated sound, but I don’t get on with them. The closest exception is probably the MXR Micro Amp, which is a bit more middy and slightly rougher than a straight boost, but even then I have no use for one.

TTBZ said:
    The hilarious thing is that’s what they were designed to do - sound like an overdriven valve amp into a clean solid-state amp like a JC-120… which they don’t at all! That they sound great into an already overdriven valve amp is just a happy accident. (Personally I prefer to add dirt rather than volume with the pedal, but both work.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Habanero said:
    It’s not my most hated sound, but I don’t get on with them. The closest exception is probably the MXR Micro Amp, which is a bit more middy and slightly rougher than a straight boost, but even then I have no use for one.

SHO is absolutely crucial for my sound, it's always on. Does that subtle brutal metallic farty breakup, but not spikey.

• subtle brutal 

dafuq?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So it's a crochet hook?

My gran had one of those.  She could be brutal I suppose, but she thought subtle was on the other end of the railway from Carlisle.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 131
    edited December 2022
    Tuner - it really takes off a lot of top end and removes the hauntingness of my mids. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited December 2022
    Ring mod
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    Spring reverb, fuzz of any kind & slap back reverb. All of which creep me out to unbearable levels. They absolutely make my skin crawl. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2336
    longi said:
    Spring reverb, fuzz of any kind & slap back reverb. All of which creep me out to unbearable levels. They absolutely make my skin crawl. 
    You’ve just described my happy place!

One man’s meat, another man’s poison…
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 266
    Fuzz I usually have to turn off the video or skip the track if some over bearing racket of a fuzz comes on.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate that pop you sometimes get when you hit the switch. 

But seriously, any self oscillating, pad type or drone sounds are boring after about 30 seconds of trying it once, if not to the player then to any others unfortunate enough to be in earshot.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2173
    I've been thinking about this. Have to admit I like most effects pedals. 
    I think its like a good whisky, if you say you don't like whisky then you just haven't found the right one for you. 

I don't like anything past a four stage phaser. Sounds too synthetic too me. I'm going to use awful words which have no real relation to sound....I think that a nice four stage phaser can sound nice and chewey. Which is bs, they are both electronically processed sounds. It's not like 4 stage phasers are grown on trees.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2421
    DrJazzTap said:
    Which is bs, they are both electronically processed sounds. It's not like 4 stage phasers are grown on trees.
    Interesting you say that. 

Many effects (mostly the earlier ones, I guess) were made to replicate situations in the real world - reverb, echo.

Some effects were made to rreplicate non-electric music - vibrato and chorus that occurs in singing, multiple instruments playing together etc.

Think of places you have been wbere there exists extreme amounts of reverb and echo.  You can get slight phasing (and flanging) effects "naturally" if you overdrive the input by shouting and clapping. 

When my son was wee, we went somewhere  where there was a lot of reverb and echo.  Children are delighted by the effect and make more noise, which increases the effect, so they make more noise, so...

For a few months after that whenever we drove under a bridge of through a tunnel, he'd start shouting, bawling and clapping his hands..

Still not sure about Ring Mod though, but the solo in Paranoid sounds ace.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1488
    I hate that pop you sometimes get when you hit the switch. 

But seriously, any self oscillating, pad type or drone sounds are boring after about 30 seconds of trying it once, if not to the player then to any others unfortunate enough to be in earshot.
    Woah pluckbuddy - we're talking about drone pedals here!! No-one can hear you from further than the bedroom door.

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 812
    edited December 2022
    Shimmer reverb. 

Also, ‘studio style compression’. It insists upon itself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom