Capo info

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    BillDL said:
    For functionality, accuracy, ease of use, low profile, and reasonable price I use the "Planet Waves (d'Addario) NS Capo Lite".  It sells for anywhere between £10 and £15.  I have most of the other types including Shubb and Kyser but I prefer the Planet Waves NS Lite and have several of them in different cases/gig bags so I always have one handy.
    is that the one with the little tension wheel ?   pretty sure I have one somewhere, couldnt get on with it
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7225
    edited March 2023
    Yes @bertie ;; This one, although I think the image is of the straight, not curved, one for flat fretboards.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    G7 here, I’ve also got a Shubb -there’s nothing wrong with it but the G7 is my go to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    malcolmkindness said:

I didn't say Kyser, I said Shubb!
    I know you did, but you must have *meant* Kyser because you said simplest and most functional ;).

crunchman said:
    I don't get the love for Shubb.
    Me neither. Fiddly and awkward, needs two hands and constant adjusting between different fret positions if the neck has any significant taper. I put up with them for years because I'd always been told they were 'the best', but when I accidentally acquired a Kyser (which I'd never heard of until then) I couldn't believe how much simpler and better it was! Gave away my Shubbs.

crunchman said:

G7th are much better.  Just squeeze the right amount when you put it on.
    Personally I didn't like the G7th either - I found it harder to set exactly right, still needs two hands to take it off, and possibly worst of all it's just such a slippery thing it flew out of my hand several times - really what you don't want on stage.

But, each to their own. I do understand that there are people who don't like the Kyser, although I can't really understand why. For me it's the perfect zero-fuss capo, it doesn't have a single thing wrong with it, and it even looks good clipped to the end of the headstock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I'm not wild about either the Shubb or the G7 capos. Every time you move the Shubb up or down the neck you have to adjust the fit, otherwise they send the strings sharp or don't capo properly. And I always find it hard to get the right degree of pressure from the G7, there's nothing tangible to tell you whether it's clamping tightly enough or too tightly. Both of them also end up gettling lost all the time because you can't easily keep them attached to the guitar when not in use (I once found a Shubb capo in the street).

So, for me, the Paige capo is by far the best. BUT it's important to get the right model for your neck.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    Stuckfast said:
    … (I once found a Shubb capo in the street)...
    Me too
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited March 2023
    ICBM said:
    I know you did, but you must have *meant* Kyser because you said simplest and most unnecessarily ornate and stupid looking    >
    FTFY

;)

tho now after some time with the G7 Nashville,  I do agree the "mechanism"  works well :)
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 231
    edited March 2023
    Stuckfast said:
    Every time you move the Shubb up or down the neck you have to adjust the fit, otherwise they send the strings sharp or don't capo properly.
    Maybe the neck profile makes a difference?
    Agreed - if I move the Shubb up from the 2nd fret to the 5th I usually have to adjust the tension wheel half a turn  but I don't find that a problem.
    The thing I like about the Shubb is that it never makes my strings sharp! 

Horses for courses.  I'm sure most capo varieties function well enough, it's just down to personal preferences.
    I have a friend who uses one of those old original folksy capos - you know  those D shaped ones with a swingarm top bar and a wadge of felt on the underside, knurled nut adjuster. When I say most function well enough......this could be the exception. It must work for him though!

@danishbacon ;; just go for one. It's not like laying out mega money on a new guitar. (Unless you go for a Thalia!)

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9620
    The great thing about Kyser capos is that they be used, at a pinch, instead of a ratchet bar clamp for small woodworking tasks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited March 2023
    I’ve got a Shubb that I’ve had ages, and a Thalia I bought as a treat, for myself. Thalia, all day long, for me, but I still use, and like, the Shubb.. Had a G7 and didn’t like it - gave it away.. Had a Kyser-alike and it was shite.. either gave it away or binned it.. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    edited March 2023
    I recall a @brucegill thread recently regarding Elliot capos... apparently very good and with scope to match to various radii...
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 719
    Benm39 said:
    I recall a @brucegill thread recently regarding Elliot capos... apparently very good and with scope to match to various radii...
    Amazing capos, but NO scope to match various radii unfortunately. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited March 2023
    An Elliott Mckinney is something else. I have a friend who has one.

But he gigs and uses a capo a lot. For home use only - well, if you wanted one, but they're expensive for sure.

I've got a G7th Nashville on the way, having read the praise by  @bertie.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    edited March 2023
    ICBM said:

Personally I didn't like the G7th either - I found it harder to set exactly right, still needs two hands to take it off, and possibly worst of all it's just such a slippery thing it flew out of my hand several times - really what you don't want on stage.

I take it off one handed without any problems.  Never had problems with it being slippery either.
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    Im not going to tell you which is best because i dont know tbh,what i will say is that there is a great and handy trick that you can do with a kyser.. If you put it on second fret backwards it acts like one of those cut off capos,so you get dadgad,but moved up a key..Great fun..
    edited March 2023
    Mellish said:

great,   no pressure then...............................

woody said:
    Im not going to tell you which is best because i dont know tbh,what i will say is that there is a great and handy trick that you can do with a kyser.. If you put it on second fret backwards it acts like one of those cut off capos,so you get dadgad,but moved up a key..Great fun..
    you can do that with pretty much any capo, not just a kayser,  been doing (and lauding) it for donkeys  :) 

get two capos and you can have fun and games all up and down the f/board
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4522
    bertie said:
    Mellish said:

great,   no pressure then...............................

=)
    Well, hopefully just enough without squeezing everything sharp.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^^ LOL
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:

I take it off one handed without any problems.  Never had problems with it being slippery either.
    But what about the capo?
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    brucegill said:
    Benm39 said:
    Amazing capos, but NO scope to match various radii unfortunately. 
    Hmmm? Wonder what I was confusing that with then... was sure I'd seen something about it coming with a variety of different radius inserts... maybe that was a Thalia instead ???