Capo info

What's Hot

Comments

• JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    I have used and still use Shubb and G7 caps at home, whatever comes to hand first is fine providing you spend a little time with each to get the best out of them. In fact the G7 12 string capo is a design of simple genius. However, when I play live I want something I can grab with just one hand (the fretting hand) and relocate quickly. I don't like the Keyser types because you have to grab them from the front which in my case means reaching across with the right hand.

Currently I'm using several cheap and cheerful bronze coloured Adagio lever capos that I bought off Amazon for about 7 quid a few years ago. Simple,  accurate and quick to use, you can pop it on the headstock if that's your preference.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adagio-Suitable-Acoustic-Electric-Guitars/dp/B071DTMHVP/ref=asc_df_B071DTMHVP/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310786528304&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12507270916540019264&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046002&hvtargid=pla-549618684871&psc=1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 231
    Gosh @Strangefan that looks like an antique. As for the price..... Sotheby's auction house?  :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72341
    JCA2550 said:

However, when I play live I want something I can grab with just one hand (the fretting hand) and relocate quickly. I don't like the Keyser types because you have to grab them from the front which in my case means reaching across with the right hand.
    You do grab them with the fretting hand. If you're having to grab them with the picking hand I would guess you've got it facing the wrong other way on the neck.

They go on with the hand grip above the neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited March 2023
    ICBM said:
    JCA2550 said:

However, when I play live I want something I can grab with just one hand (the fretting hand) and relocate quickly. I don't like the Keyser types because you have to grab them from the front which in my case means reaching across with the right hand.
    You do grab them with the fretting hand. If you're having to grab them with the picking hand I would guess you've got it facing the wrong other way on the neck.

They go on with the hand grip above the neck.
    Ive both types - and yes the "rear" triggers are "more natural" to operate, but the "kyser" type afford less/no hinderance to the fretting hand when on frets 1 and 2. It is slightly more awkward, but just needs a bit of getting used to, and TBH is very much worth it.

I still now and again, go to grab the "rear" trigger when using the Nashville, but soon get used to it, and you really dont need to use the picking hand at all  :)   
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Soupman said:
    Gosh @Strangefan that looks like an antique. As for the price..... Sotheby's auction house?  :)

It works really well, I bought mine for £25 back in about 2002, to be honest I probably wouldn't sell it even for those prices, as its the only capo I have found which I have not lost die to always being on the neck 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Soupman said:

It works really well, I bought mine for £25 back in about 2002, to be honest I probably wouldn't sell it even for those prices, as its the only capo I have found which I have not lost die to always being on the neck 
    The Paige capo is the same design, just a bit more compact. And yes they are asbolutely the best kind.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 578
    The adagio pro deluxe looks nice for a cheapo capo,I would use one for a spare. I have used a shubb for many years now with no complaints,there is virtually nothing to go wrong with them. I still have a Hamilton USA from the sixties but it is quite antiquated looking now. Capo's have come a long way since the old D shaped ones with a screw thing at the back and orange rubber on the bar. That was my first one. Happy days.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    I used one of those rubber sleeve around a pin with an elastic strap type capos for YEARS before I got a proper one. I now have a G7 and a Planet Waves one.  I like them both.  They are low profile and I don't find they get in the way at all.  They are also both pretty reliable in terms of even pressure across the strings etc.  I am not sure one is particularly better than the other. I don't really use a capo a lot though to be fair. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited March 2023
    The G7th Nashville came today, believe it or not!

First impressions:, light, well made and doesn't take as much force to open it up as my Kyser.

Not used it yet. Interested to see if it knocks the guitar out of tune. 

EDIT: and it doesn't. Pleased with it. Good steer! Thanks @bertie. ;

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1852
    bluecat said:
    The adagio pro deluxe looks nice for a cheapo capo,I would use one for a spare. I have used a shubb for many years now with no complaints,there is virtually nothing to go wrong with them. I still have a Hamilton USA from the sixties but it is quite antiquated looking now. Capo's have come a long way since the old D shaped ones with a screw thing at the back and orange rubber on the bar. That was my first one. Happy days.
    I have two adagios,both bought from Amazon. I've had no problem from either in three years. Rubber is still good.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    To cope with arthritis by reducing the use of first finger barres I’ve started using a capo on the first or second fret. I’ve had a Shubb for a long time. On the basis of discussion here I picked up a G7 at the guitar show. I have to say in prefer the Shubb because it’s smaller and lighter. If I was playing acoustic guitar, and/or using it further up the neck, the decision might be different, but for the moment I’ll stick with the Shubb.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1336
    I've got a Shubb at home but I always use Kysers now. Just so easy to use, they grip well, no tuning issues.
    I can't see the point trying anything else right now.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    The new G7 looks ideal 

https://youtu.be/UWGj-KIfswI
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Having just bought a job lot of six capos for the princely sum of £13.50, I am now the proud owner of a Kyser, a Gyser (no surprise what that's a copy of), two Jim Dunlop capos that are similar to the Kyser, a Shubb and something called a Ferguson Perfect Pitch. 

The Ferguson is interesting. It has a radiused metal tongue that slides between the strings and the fingerboard. I'm not sure what the benefits of this are. It makes the capo quite fiddly to fit, and also sits higher than the fret, so raises the action slightly. I assume it must be there for a reason, but I have no idea what it is! In my brief experiments so far I haven't noticed anything that would justify the claim of 'perfect pitch'.

Anyone ever come across this device before?
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @stuckfast I have a Ferguson sitting in my parts bin - must have come with a second hand guitar that landed in with us at some stage. It's a bit fiddly to use so I've never warmed to it. Currently using Paige Acoustic / G7th capos with no issues
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • @WindmillGuitars Yes I assume there must be some reason why they designed it like that but I can't see what benefit it could bring. Another happy Paige user here.
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 140
    edited September 2023
    I've had one of the cheap trigger/lever ones for over twenty years. Works fine and cost a couple of quid.

I've also got one of the cheap and cheerful ones with a strap that hooks on the top and a plastic "lever" to tighten it. It's not the easiest to fit initially but you can easily loosen it and slide it up or down without removing it.

Both work fine with different guitars because they have rubber block contacting the strings that moulds to the shape of the fretboard.
    I don't have a guitar with a flat radius though.

Anyone tried a "rolling" capo? 
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    In a fit of pique at my current capo for perpetually making me need to return my guitar I just pulled the trigger on a G7th Heritage. 

I use a capo a shitload so I don’t mind spending the cash, and I’m actually quite excited for it to arrive. 

Will post a brief review when it gets here. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • YorkieBarreYorkieBarre Frets: 38
    edited November 2023
    I’d welcome some advice if I’m not too late jumping onto this thread? I’m using a capo more than I did and on different acoustics with different nut widths (from 43-45mm), and different radiuses. I have an inexpensive old one (Ortega or Dunlop style) which seems to affect the tuning significantly up the neck. I was considering buying a better quality replacement and ideally having one ‘flexible’ one that will cope with the variety of neck widths and radiuses (radii??) and of a design that doesn’t affect tuning as much or at all.

From my research, on paper the most cost effective ‘flexible’ option seems to be the G7th Performance 3 ART, which seems to fit all widths and radiuses. Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this particular model to give pros and cons?

The very different. Design of the G7th Heritage and Paige 6 string ETI PC-6-ETI are interesting and seem to get praise from many. However they’re 2-3 times the cost, won’t deal with all fretboard widths and look like they require two hands to make changes in use where the Performance doesn’t. Is there a compelling reason why this design works better than the ‘Performance’ style of capo to justify the outlay? I have read the comments above carefully, so hope I’m not duplicating.