NAM: neural amp modeler

What's Hot
Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 335
edited March 2023 in Digital & Modelling
Has anybody looked into this project? Some bold claims about it being better than a Kemper or Quad Cortex!???  o

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 335
    edited March 2023
    Some initial impressions. This is good, development is still in the early stages and it's a bit raw, unwieldly even, but it's very good for a freebie! I've got a Telecaster running through a clean AC15 profile, and it's as clear as a bell. Pick dynamics are great too, very responsive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24454
    I wonder if NeuralDSP will get upset with anyone else trying to use the word "neural" in their product description.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1316
    I wonder if NeuralDSP will get upset with anyone else trying to use the word "neural" in their product description.
    I'd say it's likely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26665
    Not just free, but also open source...and apparently compiles on Linux too. Me likey. I'll have to have a go with it at some point.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2023
    I don't think so as neural is a generic word, and this project uses neural networks to train the models. 
    edited March 2023
    I just tried a NAM Muff pedal in front of a clean Helix Native amp and it sounds great. I'm still not sure how I will use it in the real world, but it seems useful as a studio tool. I'm guessing somebody will eventually come up with a hardware box like the one Tonex has.
    Imagine if someone builds some hardware around this...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1316
    Vintage65 said:
    I don't think so as neural is a generic word, and this project uses neural networks to train the models. 
    I agree that the neural is a generic word, but that's not really relevant. The issue is that they're similar products in the same market. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Bod said:
    Vintage65 said:
    I agree that the neural is a generic word, but that's not really relevant. The issue is that they're similar products in the same market. 
    The good news is that it's trivial to change - there's no marketing to speak of, and no cost to changing the name.

And...if they changed it to "Neural Net Amp Modeler" then the term isn't "Neural", it's "Neural Net"...which couldn't possibly be trademarked since it has a very specific technological meaning.

Of course, then the NAMM organisers might have something to say ;)
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2023
    Bod said:
    Vintage65 said:
    I'd be more worried about what the crazy folks are going to do with this open source technology, as it just seems to be a proof of concept at the moment.   :)
    edited March 2023

edited March 2023
    Here are some VOX AC15 amp profiles to play around with.

https://we.tl/t-kac30iYWxP

Windows Installer for the Neural Amp Modeler (Standalone & VST3).

https://we.tl/t-QsWu7oW8Ez

Note: You will need your own IR files.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    I think this is actually the future of guitar amps but someone needs to make a generic DSP module that's based around the low current draw and underfilled chip design of a phone .. so's it relatively immune to vibration and moisture.  

Then an amp could be PSU - DSP - Poweramp and all the models could be right there in the amp. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    I think this is actually the future of guitar amps but someone needs to make a generic DSP module that's based around the low current draw and underfilled chip design of a phone .. so's it relatively immune to vibration and moisture.  

Then an amp could be PSU - DSP - Poweramp and all the models could be right there in the amp. 
    ...make the module upgradeable, possibly connected via a low-latency interface like Thunderbolt, and we might actually have something that's customer-friendly :)
    <space for hire>
  • Must be good: the guy in the vid has invoked 'wow face #4' from the streamers' handbook...and he's pointing!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Must be good: the guy in the vid has invoked 'wow face #4' from the streamers' handbook...and he's pointing!
    Don't forget to like & subscribe!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65 said:
    Must be good: the guy in the vid has invoked 'wow face #4' from the streamers' handbook...and he's pointing!
    Smaaaash it!!!
    edited March 2023
    Vintage65 said:
    Smaaaash it!!!
    I avoid the hype by using my own ears  B
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    Holy raspberry pi project