NAM: neural amp modeler

What's Hot

Comments

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 335
    edited April 2023
    I think helix native doesnt do it any favours on it's default output level. Its consistently quieter than basically everything else unless you crank the output a little. I watched a video where a guy was able to tone match arcehtype: gojira pretty well with native. 
    Have you got the instrument gain set right on your audio interface? I find that using some plugins after HN usually gets me the sound that I am looking for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    Vintage65 said:
    I think helix native doesnt do it any favours on it's default output level. Its consistently quieter than basically everything else unless you crank the output a little. I watched a video where a guy was able to tone match arcehtype: gojira pretty well with native. 
    Have you got the instrument gain set right on your audio interface? I find that using some plugins after HN usually gets me the sound that I am looking for.
    Some plugins to boost the output level perhaps? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited April 2023
    Some plugins to boost the output level perhaps? 
    No, I use them to titivate the sound 

I gain stage all my tracks and boost the levels during mastering, and I get the right input volume level in Helix Native by adjusting the audio interface instrument gain for each guitar.

If you're just jamming you could boost the output volume in Helix or turn up your monitors.

At the end of the day it's what sounds good that matters.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    ToneHunt has gone live in the last few days

https://tonehunt.org/
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ToneHunt has gone live in the last few days

https://tonehunt.org/
    Thanks, some great stuff in there.

My new toy ... OCD > Orange amp > Orange TH-U cab
    edited June 2023
    How many snapshots would it take to comprehensively model a typical fx pedal?

edited April 2023
    This is my final Neural Amp Modeler ITB studio recording chain (for now!)

*NAM/Helix Native/ (pre-amp fx) >>> NAM (amp) >>> Helix Native (post-amp fx) >>> TH-U (cab)

*I use NAM pre-amp for drive pedals. I think NAM type tech could be the solution for ITB drive & fuzz pedals if they can work out some flexible sampling techniques.
    edited June 2023
    Talk of a NAM Kickstarter pedal!

New update with normalisation and improved CPU performance.

https://github.com/sdatkinson/NeuralAmpModelerPlugin/releases/tag/v0.7.2

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    I gave it a try recording a solo for this month's SOTM. I used a Friedman Jake E Lee NAM amp and a York Audio Friedman V30 IR. It's only high gain lead, rather than a more picky tone, but I think it sounds pretty good
    I gave it a try recording a solo for this month's SOTM. I used a Friedman Jake E Lee NAM amp and a York Audio Friedman V30 IR. It's only high gain lead, rather than a more picky tone, but I think it sounds pretty good
    You have to be careful with the gain staging and dial it in properly. My recording chain is fairly complex, so I go through everything with a VUMT meter. Considering NAM is still in beta it's potential is huge,
    edited June 2023
    A new NAM fork with some useful features is under development (VST3 version is now available).

edited June 2023
    Great NAM how-to video:

Neural Amp Modeler - (Amp vs NAM Capture / Reamp Calibration / Initial Setup)

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I just wish it could work on older MacOS, without having to to some dodgy hack to move up OS, and thereby lose all my current stuff.
    Catalina ( I think) uses a completely different file format, so I'll just have to make do with NAM on a Win11 laptop, and work with the stems on my perfectly capable 27inch Imac (unsupported)
  • DeftDeft Frets: 30
    Been having a play, it's pretty impressive and can only get better really. This Magnatone capture sounds ace, been hoping for a Magnatone in Helix for ages:

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3472
    edited September 2023
    Well, I tried it again after a couple of months (where it or I failed). Tonight however, it sounded magnificent! I'm very impressed! Only tried it for the clean amps I love, so far, Morgan AC20, Laney stuff and a Hiwatt and I got all the vibes I'd expect and to my ears, sounds nice and lively (read, "amp-like", IMO).

@Vintage65 do you think this thread might get more traction in the 'Digital & Modelling' section now, perhaps? I'd love it to become a thing on tFB, much like the "official tFB" fractal and Kemper threads are!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8732
    Moved to the new Digital and Modelling section
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone else using NAM? I'm really enjoying the stuff I'm getting out of it. I think it sounds brilliant.

For those with a Fractal or a Kemper who have tried NAM, how would you say it compares? I have my thoughts on this but would like to hear yours first.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7811

The Poly Beebo has some NAM models in its latest update, you can't control much of them yet and they take up a lot of space at the moment (so amp + reverb isn't possible) but it's in the early stages so hopefully will improve later.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    edited September 2023
    Jonathanthomas83 said:
    Anyone else using NAM? I'm really enjoying the stuff I'm getting out of it. I think it sounds brilliant.

For those with a Fractal or a Kemper who have tried NAM, how would you say it compares? I have my thoughts on this but would like to hear yours first.
    NAM is still experimental for me, although I am using the FX and studio gear emulations for reamping and colouring tracks. I am so used to operating the Kemper with Rig Manager that it would take something really special to move me away from it. All of my templates are setup for instant recording, and I like the fact that there is no CPU hit, In saying that, NAM can only get better and it's already incredible, so it's all down to features and usability at the moment.