NAM: neural amp modeler

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    Imagine if someone builds some hardware around this...
    Holy raspberry pi project 
    Indeed. I do wonder what kind of latency you'd get on a Pi 4 with this, an LV2 host and an average audio interface. Add a small screen, and you could easily build a high-quality profiler for less than £200 with some DIY involved.

Of course, that assumes that you could get a Pi 4.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    Indeed. I do wonder what kind of latency you'd get on a Pi 4 with this, an LV2 host and an average audio interface. Add a small screen, and you could easily build a high-quality profiler for less than £200 with some DIY involved.

Yes I’ve not looked at the software so wasn’t sure. If a pi would run it  but there does seem to be a scarcity at the moment which has made prices rise , even older pi’s that I used are significantly more expensive now 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Yes I’ve not looked at the software so wasn’t sure. If a pi would run it  but there does seem to be a scarcity at the moment which has made prices rise , even older pi’s that I used are significantly more expensive now 
    CPC are currently expecting more stock on 13th November 2023.

FFS!

There are, of course, alternatives. I'd imagine that a Rock Pi 4B would do the job quite well, albeit more expensive than a Raspberry Pi.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6171
    Isn't there a Korg synth that's based on a Pi? So there should be enough processing power for an amp sim.
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 335
    goldtop said:
    Isn't there a Korg synth that's based on a Pi? So there should be enough processing power for an amp sim.
    There was a Korg Synth for the Nintendo DS!

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I stumbled across this today. It's good that it's a standalone plugin as well as running it through a  DAW. Hopefully this keeps getting developed  and as more captures get uploaded it should be a good alternative for those of us who don't use/can't justify spending too much on something like a Kemper or Quad Cortex. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    I keep saying this but  tbh I dont think the tech itself is a differentiator anymore and the key is going to be ecosystem of quality captures. Right now kemper has that sewn up but if anyone can either get critical mass on their own format, or even better playback existing kemper profiles in software that that will totally break kempers dominance in the market. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I keep saying this but  tbh I dont think the tech itself is a differentiator anymore and the key is going to be ecosystem of quality captures. Right now kemper has that sewn up but if anyone can either get critical mass on their own format, or even better playback existing kemper profiles in software that that will totally break kempers dominance in the market. 
    The tech itself is out of the bag, but the fact that this one is open source makes it a massive change in the market - when anyone can chuck together a system to do it with a basic computer and audio interface, free of any proprietary constraints...I can easily imagine it getting to the point where there are implementation and format standards, and then the only differentiators will be hardware quality and ergonomic innovations.

As soon as I get some spare time (likely this summer) I'm going to grab a couple of relatively cheap SBCs and see if I can put something together with a touchscreen that'll run this. If it can...interesting things may happen.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    New website, includes amp model downloads.

https://neuralampmodeler.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Theres a very active Facebook group with captures being uploaded almost every day.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5669559883092788/
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    Well, I've just had a play with this and I'm very impressed. I've only used a couple of Celestion IRs (Blue 2x12 and G12H30 4x12) but the mid/high gain amps (Splawn and Ceriatone King Kong) sound great and are very immediate - with some tweaking and the right IRs I think it'll be stellar. In short, I like it very much.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited March 2023
    Well, I've just had a play with this and I'm very impressed. I've only used a couple of Celestion IRs (Blue 2x12 and G12H30 4x12) but the mid/high gain amps (Splawn and Ceriatone King Kong) sound great and are very immediate - with some tweaking and the right IRs I think it'll be stellar. In short, I like it very much.
    There are some blind tests here:  https://gearspace.com/board/music-computers/1401607-nam-neural-amp-modeler.html
    When I get some spare time, I'm considering using it to model Nembrini's ADA MP-1 plugin on some of my favourite settings. The goal would be to see if I can get it running on a Pi 4 - which might make it possible to build a really cool, lightweight gigging unit.

Apparently it's quite CPU-heavy at the moment, but they're making some great progress on that front.
    <space for hire>
    The download page looked a bit scary . I found this bit though ,I’m guessing say on my Mac this just installs like any other program. If so will be interested in giving it a try .

Not sure how you will import various models into it . Will check out a YouTube video in a minute . I’m sure Leon Todd has done one 

The quality is there imo. I've only had about 40 mins on it tonight and I'm a fan. I'm seriously thinking about installing it on my little Lenovo laptop to try with the band. 

edited March 2023
    I've been experimenting with TH-U cabs instead of using IR's and I think I may be making some progress regarding the overall sound.
    edited March 2023
    Latest setup: TH-U pedals > NAM > TH-U Cab & FX

How is everybody else using it?
    Guitar > interface > NAM > Celestion IR  > reverb and delay added as inserts in Reaper.

I'm sure pedals will be great (I previously tried this with LePou amps with much success) but I'm still evaluating all the NAM amps. I'm keeping the IR constant (G12H30 4x12) atm so I can make sense of what's changing.

I used it to redo some rhythm parts on a live recording of ours (Live and Dangerous style) with a Friedman model. The results were very favourable. It just needed a bit of Pultec and reverb to make it not stand out in the mix. It feels more amp like than Helix Native imo, just more present, I think.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    I think helix native doesnt do it any favours on it's default output level. Its consistently quieter than basically everything else unless you crank the output a little. I watched a video where a guy was able to tone match arcehtype: gojira pretty well with native. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ