Show us your non-modeller ampless live rig

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
edited April 2023 in FX
Do you gig with an ampless rig that isn't built around one of the usual digital modellers/profiler suspects (Kemper, Helix, Fractal etc)? If so, what kit do you use, and what else do you use with it? Just to be clear, that is straight to PA (or FR/FR speaker).

Some upcoming dep gigs on rhythm guitar with tribute band Dire Streets have pushed me into adopting a 'quiet stage' rig. The band's regular guitarists both use Kempers, but without going into the usual arguments, that's not a route I wanted to take.

As far as possible I have tried to use kit that I already owned, and this is what I ended up with:

The amp simulator - Origin Effects Revival Drive borrowed from my home studio setup. This is set up to emulate an AC30 just starting to become gritty (right side), and the same but with more drive and mids (left side)
The speaker simulator - Two Notes Torpedo CAB, again from my home setup. I'm using a single Celestion IR, but the A and B switches allow me to select different levels of reverb and volume on the fly. There's also EQ in there if I need it. The balanced output is on a TRS jack but sound guys and gals will want to connect to an XLR so I needed some kind of converter. I contacted Two Notes and they advised me that the Torpedo CAB wouldn't appreciate seeing phantom power, so I built a simple DC blocking circuit into the recycled enclosure at the top right of the board.
The effects - Three songs need chorus and at least one calls for phaser. I built a Mu-Tron Phasor II clone recently which was perfect but I didn't have a chorus pedal so I sprang for a CE-2w - my only expenditure on this project except for some more patch leads. Finally I needed a delay and my DM-2w seemed like the perfect choice. The two guitarists have a bit of a duel in the playout to one of the songs, and I plan to engage the Custom mode to perform the Albert Lee delay trick, which I hope may make up for my less-than-stellar lead playing!
The boring but essential stuff - Obviously a decent power supply and pedal tuner (placed far left where I am least likely to silence myself accidentally) plus flat patch cables because I like 'em. All the pedals sit in cutouts in a piece of foam mat, fitted snugly into a Kinsman pedal case - no velcro required.

Now let's see yours...
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Can you please share exactly what you built re the dc blocking circuit for those of us who are too stupid to read the diagrams you have referenced ie Me 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Straight out of the headphone/recording out works well

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    JMP220478 said:
    Can you please share exactly what you built re the dc blocking circuit for those of us who are too stupid to read the diagrams you have referenced ie Me 
    If you mean how the circuit works, the link explains it pretty well. I built the circuit on prototyping board and it looks like this. The holes in the enclosure are from its previous life as a DI box and dummy load. 

Straight out of the headphone/recording out works well

I'd forgotten about the BluGuitar stuff - obviously you can also run your own monitor speaker from that if you like.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    edited April 2023
    This is mine.

https://postimg.cc/LnxYsScj

While the Boss GT100 is a modeller I don't use any of the built-in preamps. I use 4 cable method with a Victory Kraken preamp running back into the GT100 then the L output into a Mooer radar with a York Audio Mesa V30 IR into the PA through a balanced cable. If I wanted an real amp as well as PA I can use the R channel output of the GT into a power amp/cab. This works fine provided I just use it on mono rather than go with stereo specific delays, etc.

I use it to have a four basic patches with either  pre-preamp EQ to clean up the gain, just the Kraken, or a signal boost/OD for a bit more gain. I also keep one of the function buttons as a solo boost for all the patches. Needless to say this isn't a setup that would be ideal for Dire Straits sounds.

In addition some songs might have specific patches - one is called Billy Duffy and has delay and flanger for the intro to She Sells Sanctuary switching to crunch - another is called Brian May and has chrous and delay for any Queen covers.

I also often chuck a line 6 g30 wireless on top of the Kraken as it sticks perfectly with the magnets and I can still close the pedalboard lid.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Keefy said:

Very neat @flying_pie ;
    Thanks. I should mention the downside is that it needs 3 separate power supplies attached to an extension lead which is just out of shot. While it's not necessarily that untidy it does reduce the nearness!
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4180
    Keefy said:
    Do you gig with an ampless rig that isn't built around one of the usual digital modellers/profiler suspects (Kemper, Helix, Fractal etc)? If so, what kit do you use, and what else do you use with it? Just to be clear, that is straight to PA (or FR/FR speaker).

Some upcoming dep gigs on rhythm guitar with tribute band Dire Streets have pushed me into adopting a 'quiet stage' rig. The band's regular guitarists both use Kempers, but without going into the usual arguments, that's not a route I wanted to take.

As far as possible I have tried to use kit that I already owned, and this is what I ended up with:

The amp simulator - Origin Effects Revival Drive borrowed from my home studio setup. This is set up to emulate an AC30 just starting to become gritty (right side), and the same but with more drive and mids (left side)
    The speaker simulator - Two Notes Torpedo CAB, again from my home setup. I'm using a single Celestion IR, but the A and B switches allow me to select different levels of reverb and volume on the fly. There's also EQ in there if I need it. The balanced output is on a TRS jack but sound guys and gals will want to connect to an XLR so I needed some kind of converter. I contacted Two Notes and they advised me that the Torpedo CAB wouldn't appreciate seeing phantom power, so I built a simple DC blocking circuit into the recycled enclosure at the top right of the board.
    The effects - Three songs need chorus and at least one calls for phaser. I built a Mu-Tron Phasor II clone recently which was perfect but I didn't have a chorus pedal so I sprang for a CE-2w - my only expenditure on this project except for some more patch leads. Finally I needed a delay and my DM-2w seemed like the perfect choice. The two guitarists have a bit of a duel in the playout to one of the songs, and I plan to engage the Custom mode to perform the Albert Lee delay trick, which I hope may make up for my less-than-stellar lead playing!
    The boring but essential stuff - Obviously a decent power supply and pedal tuner (placed far left where I am least likely to silence myself accidentally) plus flat patch cables because I like 'em. All the pedals sit in cutouts in a piece of foam mat, fitted snugly into a Kinsman pedal case - no velcro required.

Now let's see yours...
    Man that’s such a cool & tidy rig , just the job  really like it 
    Keefy said:

Now let's see yours...
    Man that’s such a cool & tidy rig , just the job  really like it 
    Thank you, much appreciated.
    @Keefy can I ask about your balanced cable/XLR issue?

I just use a TRS -> male XLR into a female XLR->TRS into the line input in the desk. It's usually plenty long enough, but allows for adding regular m-f XLR cables in between for longer cable runs if needed and removes any phantom power concerns. Granted, I don't do that many gigs, and it's always with folk I know operating the desk.

Is there any reason that your sound guys couldn't/wouldn't go with that approach?
    edited April 2023

I just use a TRS -> male XLR into a female XLR->TRS into the line input in the desk. It's usually plenty long enough, but allows for adding regular m-f XLR cables in between for longer cable runs if needed and removes any phantom power concerns. Granted, I don't do that many gigs, and it's always with folk I know operating the desk.

Is there any reason that your sound guys couldn't/wouldn't go with that approach?
    It's just a precaution against accidental application of phantom power to that channel, which could fry the Torpedo CAB (it's a risk - I asked them). Unless you have a phantom blocking plug (they do exist) then I think the connections you have described would still allow phantom power to reach the output of your multi-fx.*** It might be fine with that (my Origin Effects BassRig is - I asked them) but if not you could have a problem in that situation.

I also wanted to be able to rock up and just plug the venue's XLR cable into my board, rather than carrying an extra lead (plus spare!) to run to the stage box.

***EDIT: Just realised you’re plugging into the line input which won’t have phantom power - so scrub that bit.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27073
    The top row is my entire bass rig. DI straight to the PA and sounds like magic.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

If I go ampless, mine is even more minimal:

• robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 178
    edited April 2023
    Good point.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27073
    Keefy said:

Yeah, I could go without the EP for sure, but it’s nice to be able to click in a smidge more heft for rockier stuff. 

The compressor is essential though 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Keefy said:

Yeah, I could go without the EP for sure, but it’s nice to be able to click in a smidge more heft for rockier stuff. 

The compressor is essential though 
    Hmm… plenty of space there for my big box Cali76…
    Keefy said:
    It's just a precaution against accidental application of phantom power to that channel, which could fry the Torpedo CAB (it's a risk - I asked them). Unless you have a phantom blocking plug (they do exist) then I think the connections you have described would still allow phantom power to reach the output of your multi-fx.*** It might be fine with that (my Origin Effects BassRig is - I asked them) but if not you could have a problem in that situation.

I also wanted to be able to rock up and just plug the venue's XLR cable into my board, rather than carrying an extra lead (plus spare!) to run to the stage box.

***EDIT: Just realised you’re plugging into the line input which won’t have phantom power - so scrub that bit.
    Makes perfect sense. I'm not sure how much faith I would place in venue cables, but it would definitely be convenient. Neat solution
  • robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 178
    Keefy said:
    Good point.
    lol. Sorry mate - I was gonna ask a really dumb question - which I only realised was dumb after I posted it. :-/
    Keefy said:
    Good point.
    lol. Sorry mate - I was gonna ask a really dumb question - which I only realised was dumb after I posted it. :-/
    There is no such thing as a dumb question, but an unasked question can lead to a lot of bother!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom