Show us your non-modeller ampless live rig

What's Hot

Comments

• Keefy said:
    Do you gig with an ampless rig that isn't built around one of the usual digital modellers/profiler suspects (Kemper, Helix, Fractal etc)? If so, what kit do you use, and what else do you use with it? Just to be clear, that is straight to PA (or FR/FR speaker).

Some upcoming dep gigs on rhythm guitar with tribute band Dire Streets have pushed me into adopting a 'quiet stage' rig. The band's regular guitarists both use Kempers, but without going into the usual arguments, that's not a route I wanted to take.

As far as possible I have tried to use kit that I already owned, and this is what I ended up with:

The amp simulator - Origin Effects Revival Drive borrowed from my home studio setup. This is set up to emulate an AC30 just starting to become gritty (right side), and the same but with more drive and mids (left side)
    The speaker simulator - Two Notes Torpedo CAB, again from my home setup. I'm using a single Celestion IR, but the A and B switches allow me to select different levels of reverb and volume on the fly. There's also EQ in there if I need it. The balanced output is on a TRS jack but sound guys and gals will want to connect to an XLR so I needed some kind of converter. I contacted Two Notes and they advised me that the Torpedo CAB wouldn't appreciate seeing phantom power, so I built a simple DC blocking circuit into the recycled enclosure at the top right of the board.
    The effects - Three songs need chorus and at least one calls for phaser. I built a Mu-Tron Phasor II clone recently which was perfect but I didn't have a chorus pedal so I sprang for a CE-2w - my only expenditure on this project except for some more patch leads. Finally I needed a delay and my DM-2w seemed like the perfect choice. The two guitarists have a bit of a duel in the playout to one of the songs, and I plan to engage the Custom mode to perform the Albert Lee delay trick, which I hope may make up for my less-than-stellar lead playing!
    The boring but essential stuff - Obviously a decent power supply and pedal tuner (placed far left where I am least likely to silence myself accidentally) plus flat patch cables because I like 'em. All the pedals sit in cutouts in a piece of foam mat, fitted snugly into a Kinsman pedal case - no velcro required.

Now let's see yours...
    Hi Keefy,

Amy from Two notes here! So happy to hear the C.A.B. is working out for you!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Keefy said:
    Do you gig with an ampless rig that isn't built around one of the usual digital modellers/profiler suspects (Kemper, Helix, Fractal etc)? If so, what kit do you use, and what else do you use with it? Just to be clear, that is straight to PA (or FR/FR speaker).

Some upcoming dep gigs on rhythm guitar with tribute band Dire Streets have pushed me into adopting a 'quiet stage' rig. The band's regular guitarists both use Kempers, but without going into the usual arguments, that's not a route I wanted to take.

As far as possible I have tried to use kit that I already owned, and this is what I ended up with:

The amp simulator - Origin Effects Revival Drive borrowed from my home studio setup. This is set up to emulate an AC30 just starting to become gritty (right side), and the same but with more drive and mids (left side)
    The speaker simulator - Two Notes Torpedo CAB, again from my home setup. I'm using a single Celestion IR, but the A and B switches allow me to select different levels of reverb and volume on the fly. There's also EQ in there if I need it. The balanced output is on a TRS jack but sound guys and gals will want to connect to an XLR so I needed some kind of converter. I contacted Two Notes and they advised me that the Torpedo CAB wouldn't appreciate seeing phantom power, so I built a simple DC blocking circuit into the recycled enclosure at the top right of the board.
    The effects - Three songs need chorus and at least one calls for phaser. I built a Mu-Tron Phasor II clone recently which was perfect but I didn't have a chorus pedal so I sprang for a CE-2w - my only expenditure on this project except for some more patch leads. Finally I needed a delay and my DM-2w seemed like the perfect choice. The two guitarists have a bit of a duel in the playout to one of the songs, and I plan to engage the Custom mode to perform the Albert Lee delay trick, which I hope may make up for my less-than-stellar lead playing!
    The boring but essential stuff - Obviously a decent power supply and pedal tuner (placed far left where I am least likely to silence myself accidentally) plus flat patch cables because I like 'em. All the pedals sit in cutouts in a piece of foam mat, fitted snugly into a Kinsman pedal case - no velcro required.

Now let's see yours...
    Hi Keefy,

Amy from Two notes here! So happy to hear the C.A.B. is working out for you!
    Thanks Amy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 208

This is one of my non-modeller rigs. The HX Stomp is just providing delay, reverb, modulation and speaker cab IR. I use a guitar cable straight into the mixing desk from the volume pedal. Never used a balanced signal and never had any problems.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The top row is my entire bass rig. DI straight to the PA and sounds like magic.

Added a Cali76 to my ampless bass rig too.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27075
    Noice!!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Having done a couple of gigs with my ampless guitar rig, I have made a few changes.

(1) The drive sound wasn't quite right so I have swapped out the RD for the Compact version, which just does the clean amp platform, and put in an OD pedal for the drive sound - first a Crowther Hotcake, then a DIY OCD clone, and finally a Nobels ODR-1.

(2) As great as the Boss DM-2w is, it's a bit fiddly to set on a dark stage, so instead I have my DIY Multiplex Echo Machine. This has become my favourite ever DIY pedal build.

(3) I transferred the whole lot to a Pedaltrain Classic Jr, allowing the power supply and balanced output box to be hidden away underneath.

Next gig with this setup is with Dire Streets at the Customs House, South Shields, on 21st July.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    This is the rig i use for everything - its on 2 Nano plus boards as i only use the front board at rehearsal. I usually send the signal to my amp using the by pass on the Cabzeus. If the amp goes down i can use the xlr out on the Cabzeus to go direct into the pa. 

IMG_0637.jpeg 261.5K
    sw67 said:
    This is the rig i use for everything - its on 2 Nano plus boards as i only use the front board at rehearsal. I usually send the signal to my amp using the by pass on the Cabzeus. If the amp goes down i can use the xlr out on the Cabzeus to go direct into the pa. 

Very tidy setup!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24334

Why the EP Booster when both the compressor and the SV have gain/level?
    What is it doing different?
    New delay now added!

• LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    edited August 2023
    The gap top right is for an incoming Boss WL-50. This goes from the Powerstage 170 to an EV-loaded Boogie 1x12 Thiele cab. 

For straight to mixer I’d replace the Powerstage with a Palmer PDI-09 speaker sim/DI
    Apart from a couple of exceptions, this seems to be an Origin Effects appreciation group!

In addition to the guitar board I posted before, I also have a non-modeller direct solution for bass.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Apart from a couple of exceptions, this seems to be an Origin Effects appreciation group!

In addition to the guitar board I posted before, I also have a non-modeller direct solution for bass.
    Too matchy-matchy? Not at all!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ... and a smaller guitar board I use for gigs where I don't need lots of effects. The Torpedo has reverb which is handy and a rudimentary tuner which can be useful.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Keefy said:

Too matchy-matchy? Not at all!

Lol. I didn't intend to but the compressor but the person I bought the Bassrig from said he was selling the compressor too, so I thought it would be rude not to. I'm glad I did as it sounds great... and I suppose has the added benefit of matching the Bassrig!
    ... and a smaller guitar board I use for gigs where I don't need lots of effects. The Torpedo has reverb which is handy and a rudimentary tuner which can be useful.

I’m kinda eyeing up the CAB M+ for my home studio so that I don’t have to keep pulling my CAB off my gigging board. The older unit suits my live needs better because I can change patch with the foot switches.

But by the time I stop spending money on this I could probably have bought a Kemper…

@stickyfiddle ;
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27075
    edited August 2023

Sorry - missed this! @fretmeister ;

It was adding a touch of top end sparkle for a little bit more (and switchable) grit for when I was switching from Motown to rock stuff in the latter part of a set, but I've taken it off now in favour of a OC-5 and MXR Micro Flange which make a much more noticeable difference... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cool.

You still need a good envelope filter though!