• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Fez said:
    Gigged this on Friday

Cool! How are the Ironheart cleans?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 638
    Keefy said:

Cool! How are the Ironheart cleans?
    I use the Ironheart for practice and studio rehearsals. I'm really impressed with it. The cleans are very useable, hard to put a 'sound' on them, definitely not Fender spanky or full Marshall sound. Works really well as a pedal platform, I use a Rat or Klone in front of mine, sounds great!
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    The clean sounds are good. There are 3 settings on a mini toggle switch "rhythm" good for single coils "Clean" works well with humbuckers and the "Lead" setting has a bit more grit which is also useful.
    Next test I need to do is try some drives in front of it but the drive sounds are great anyway.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4792
    A photoless board update... 

I've added an Origin Effects Deluxe61 to be my "amp" so I can get Fender-like cleans (which I've been missing) and redialled the OE RevivalDrive Compact to feed into it for Marshally tones. Signal path is now like this:

Guitar --> ES-5 [H90 "pre" effects (Loop1), Kernom Ridge(Loop2), OE RDC(Loop4), TC Spark(Loop5)] --> OE Deluxe61 --> H90 "post" effects --> Neunaber Iconoclast

Very organic/natural in feel and I'm pretty happy. The pedals respond to the guitar volume control, and I never got that with modellers. The nice thing about using the OE pedals as amps is both "amps" are non-master volume in design, but also have an output control. So I can dial in the tone I want, and then adjust the output level without changing that tone. I've got the Deluxe61 drive set to have a breakup sound when I dig in hard or hit it with the Spark, but the RDC is set to be at unity gain and just change the tone. 

Still a work in progress and probably always will be, but I'm having fun! :-) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 208
    A photoless board update... 

I've added an Origin Effects Deluxe61 to be my "amp" so I can get Fender-like cleans (which I've been missing) and redialled the OE RevivalDrive Compact to feed into it for Marshally tones. Signal path is now like this:

Guitar --> ES-5 [H90 "pre" effects (Loop1), Kernom Ridge(Loop2), OE RDC(Loop4), TC Spark(Loop5)] --> OE Deluxe61 --> H90 "post" effects --> Neunaber Iconoclast

Very organic/natural in feel and I'm pretty happy. The pedals respond to the guitar volume control, and I never got that with modellers. The nice thing about using the OE pedals as amps is both "amps" are non-master volume in design, but also have an output control. So I can dial in the tone I want, and then adjust the output level without changing that tone. I've got the Deluxe61 drive set to have a breakup sound when I dig in hard or hit it with the Spark, but the RDC is set to be at unity gain and just change the tone. 

Still a work in progress and probably always will be, but I'm having fun! :-) 

Interesting set up, I've not thought about doing it that way before. I have a Deluxe61 and a Revivaldrive Compact too so may try it, although I don't have any of the other pedals you have. I'll use a Two Notes CAB M+ for the speaker IR, a boost of some kind (perhaps one of the OE boost/OD pedals) and possibly a modulation pedal too. 

What made you decide to run the RD Compact into the Deluxe61 rather than have it in the loop as a separate "amp"?

I fully agree with you about the way the OE pedals respond to playing dynamics. I've not played any other pedals like them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    <snip>

Interesting set up, I've not thought about doing it that way before. I have a Deluxe61 and a Revivaldrive Compact too so may try it, although I don't have any of the other pedals you have. I'll use a Two Notes CAB M+ for the speaker IR, a boost of some kind (perhaps one of the OE boost/OD pedals) and possibly a modulation pedal too. 

What made you decide to run the RD Compact into the Deluxe61 rather than have it in the loop as a separate "amp"?

I fully agree with you about the way the OE pedals respond to playing dynamics. I've not played any other pedals like them.
    I owned a full-fat RD before downsizing to an RDC. My usage of it at that time was to run the RD into the clean channel of a single channel amp and have it turn the Fenderish sound of the amp into a non master volume Marshall tone at full chat. And it excels at that, of course.

For the past month or so I've been running the RDC after the ES-5 loops as my only direct amp. It was set up to sound Voxy, so I could dig in and get edge-of-breakup, or add overdrive and get Marshally. The RDC can do a nice Fenderish clean, too, but in a performance situation I've got no time to bend down and twiddle the RDC. I just dial it in and leave it alone. 

If I had more loops on the ES-5 I might have taken the approach that one song uses the Deluxe61 and another uses the RDC, and switched loops, but as I already knew the RDC can deliver when it's feeding another amp, I decided to save the loop and do it like this. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 19
    A little update regarding my two OE "amp" pedals. I spent yesterday afternoon going through my pedalboard presets to make sure that I can still get the RDC-based sounds I had previously whilst also going through the Deluxe61. And I can't get them all. It's not working quite like it does when the RDC feeds a clean-ish valve amp. Some are fine, some are not. 

I guess it's possible that a real Deluxe61 wouldn't work, either. I've never played one. My RDC sounds (when fed into a clean amp) have been into a Carr Mercury Original and a Rivera Chubster.

So, I''ve taken the RDC back out of the ES-5 loop and put it in series with the D61. None of my songs need an amp channel change in mid song, so I'm going to tapdance when I'm not playing and select the amp I want for the song I'm about to play. 

I could put them both into ES-5 loops, as @CarbonCopy ;;remarked, but I've got those empty loops earmarked for something else in the future. Onwards and upwards! 

Edit: I've got the RDC going into the D61. I wonder if swapping them around would let me leave the D61 on all the time and yet still get the RDC tones I'me looking for? One less footswitch to toggle, then... 

And finally (for now) here's a pic of my board this morning with both OE pedals installed. The RDC and D61 are in series after my signal leaves the output of the ES-5. First the D61, then the RDC and then one signal path of the H90 (for back-end effects, loop 1 on the ES-5 has another H90 signal path for front-end effects) before finally feeding the Iconoclast and out to the desk. 

I've learned that either OE pedal behaves like an amp and can be fed with pedals, but they can't feed each other in a manner that works for me or sounds good. It's one or the other in bypass at any one time. 

I've managed to make this work with one set of presets, no matter what I'm plugged into. Direct to desk, into borrowed backline dialled in clean, into my own amp. It's the flexibility I was hoping for, pretty much.

In my "lets use a modeller for convenience" days, I had to run one set of presets when using the amp models (and all the associated extra effects to make the amp model sound decent) and another set of presets for when the amp model was off and I was plugging into backline. Not any more, which is a blessing.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/c8wfcywgxji31wqgd272v/MyBoard.JPG?rlkey=736j6k678aqys0uhz2phi2hpx&raw=1

• CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 208

And finally (for now) here's a pic of my board this morning with both OE pedals installed. The RDC and D61 are in series after my signal leaves the output of the ES-5. First the D61, then the RDC and then one signal path of the H90 (for back-end effects, loop 1 on the ES-5 has another H90 signal path for front-end effects) before finally feeding the Iconoclast and out to the desk. 

I've learned that either OE pedal behaves like an amp and can be fed with pedals, but they can't feed each other in a manner that works for me or sounds good. It's one or the other in bypass at any one time. 

I've managed to make this work with one set of presets, no matter what I'm plugged into. Direct to desk, into borrowed backline dialled in clean, into my own amp. It's the flexibility I was hoping for, pretty much.

In my "lets use a modeller for convenience" days, I had to run one set of presets when using the amp models (and all the associated extra effects to make the amp model sound decent) and another set of presets for when the amp model was off and I was plugging into backline. Not any more, which is a blessing.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/c8wfcywgxji31wqgd272v/MyBoard.JPG?rlkey=736j6k678aqys0uhz2phi2hpx&raw=1

I haven't tried the Revivaldrive Compact into the Deluxe61 yet, but I did wonder whether it would work as well as both separately. I have used the Revivaldrive Custom set up so one side is clean and Fendery and the other side overdriven and Marshally. That worked quite well. Now I just get a crunchy tone with the RD Custom, roll the guitar volume back for clean and hit it with a boost pedal for solos if needed.

Would the 'full fat' Revivaldrive not work better for you to be able to toggle between clean and OD or do you prefer the sound and the tremolo effect of the Deluxe61?

I also use the same board for straight direct to desk as I do in front of a clean amp. The settings will change to taste, but it is generally the same which makes things easy.
  • NickBNickB Frets: 241
    Matt_McG said:
    @NickB that board is very nice. How do you find the M-EQ driver? And does it offer anything you can't get with an HX Stomp block? I ask because I also use a Stomp with extra pedals, and am always curious about what works well as a boost/drive/tone-sweetening kind of solution. At the moment, that tends to be a compressor with a bit of "push".
    Apologies for the late reply. I’m using the M-EQ as a mid boost just to tip the overdrives over a bit more and pop out of the mix when soloing. It’s in the loop of the Stomp. I find the overdrives in HX family a bit one dimensional. 

<snip>

I haven't tried the Revivaldrive Compact into the Deluxe61 yet, but I did wonder whether it would work as well as both separately. I have used the Revivaldrive Custom set up so one side is clean and Fendery and the other side overdriven and Marshally. That worked quite well. Now I just get a crunchy tone with the RD Custom, roll the guitar volume back for clean and hit it with a boost pedal for solos if needed.

Would the 'full fat' Revivaldrive not work better for you to be able to toggle between clean and OD or do you prefer the sound and the tremolo effect of the Deluxe61?

I also use the same board for straight direct to desk as I do in front of a clean amp. The settings will change to taste, but it is generally the same which makes things easy.
    I used to own a full sized RD. It wouldn't be much smaller or lighter than the RDC and D61 together, but it is two amps in one box, like you say. It's early days with the D61 - I did a gig last Thursday and it wasn't even on the board then - just a "Voxy" RDC and using the volume control or picking intensity to get clean-ish tones. But not as Fendery as I'd like, or some songs really need, hence the D61... 

I don't use tremolo at the moment, not on the D61 and not on the H90. But...  the D61 trem is beautiful and "swampy" with the drive turned up, so I can see me recording using that at some point even if I keep the D61 set as a clean-ish Fender for most things. 

It's all good! :-)