Show us your non-modeller ampless live rig

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27070
    Cool.

You still need a good envelope filter though! 
    No such thing!! :P 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    After a brief dalliance with the DSM & Humboldt Simplifier MkII I have returned to the RevivalDrive. (I liked the Simplifier, but not as much as I like the Origin stuff.) I briefly tried my BassRig '64 set to a tweed Bassman, but I didn't care for what it did to the top end.

In place of the Two Notes Torpedo CAB I'm now using a Palmer PDI-09 for speaker simulation, and a Walrus Fundamental Reverb for, er, reverb. I had previously discounted speaker sim DI boxes based on my experiences when I first got an RD pedal, but having tried the the Palmer again I find it works brilliantly well. I have dialled in a nice Spring sound on the Walrus, and now have a range of sounds that I can be proud of. I'm looking forward to gigging this tomorrow night when I stand in on rhythm guitar with Dire Streets.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4792
    edited February 9

Since dumping the GTkCore, Mobius and TU-3, my board looks a bit big. The RDC, Spark and Ridge are in loops on the ES-5, as is one path through the H90. The other path of the H90 is after the ES-5 and that then feeds the Ampster. The Ampster is set for a clean tone, but slightly gritty if I dig in. 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7ys8ae6dcc4q2bmk9dlle/New-Board.JPG?rlkey=xub05l4yvuiiqe5r6o23b5ym3&raw=1 

I can go balanced direct into the desk from the Ampster with a choice of 2 analogue cab emulations and/or directly into  a guitar amp without going through the Ampster circuit at all. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Since dumping the GTkCore, Mobius and TU-3, my board looks a bit big. The RDC, Spark and Ridge are in loops on the ES-5, as is one path through the H90. The other path of the H90 is after the ES-5 and that then feeds the Ampster. The Ampster is set for a clean tone, but slightly gritty if I dig in. 

I can go balanced direct into the desk from the Ampster with a choice of 2 analogue cab emulations and/or directly into  a guitar amp without going through the Ampster circuit at all. 

Ooh I hadn't come across the Carl Martin Ampster before.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4792
    Keefy said:

Ooh I hadn't come across the Carl Martin Ampster before.
    I've had three different analogue direct amp solutions on this board in the last 9 months and this is the one I like best. Quilter Superblock US, Simplfier Mk II and now the Ampster. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 208
    rze99 said:

I should try one of these. I had the Tech21 Blonde which I think these are based on and didn't like it, but worth trying this instead.

Do you use it with any other pedals into the PA or just guitar>American Sound>PA. What type of music do you play?
  • NickBNickB Frets: 241
    edited February 10
    This is my rig which is using the HX Stomp as fuzz, modulations, delays and reverb. The Simplifier is set to the Fender setting. I haven't switched on my Cornell Romany 12 or Rift Blonde Bassman for over a month. I can do a wet dry with another amp as the Simplifier has a thru output.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53520536154_13c23a9c5a_b.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    NickB said:
    This is my rig which is using the HX Stomp as fuzz, modulations, delays and reverb. The Simplifier is set to the Fender setting. I haven't switched on my Cornell Romany 12 or Rift Blonde Bassman for over a month. I can do a wet dry with another amp as the Simplifier has a thru output.

Very neat!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 241
    Keefy said:
    NickB said:

Very neat!
    I won’t show you the underside. The DSM Simplifier MKii is properly good! 
    Keefy said:
    After a brief dalliance with the DSM & Humboldt Simplifier MkII I have returned to the RevivalDrive. (I liked the Simplifier, but not as much as I like the Origin stuff.) I briefly tried my BassRig '64 set to a tweed Bassman, but I didn't care for what it did to the top end.

In place of the Two Notes Torpedo CAB I'm now using a Palmer PDI-09 for speaker simulation, and a Walrus Fundamental Reverb for, er, reverb. I had previously discounted speaker sim DI boxes based on my experiences when I first got an RD pedal, but having tried the the Palmer again I find it works brilliantly well. I have dialled in a nice Spring sound on the Walrus, and now have a range of sounds that I can be proud of. I'm looking forward to gigging this tomorrow night when I stand in on rhythm guitar with Dire Streets.

One thing I wish I’d checked beforehand was the output level from the Palmer DI. I split it between one input of my IEM transmitter and the PA, so I always have my own monitor signal in my earphones. Unfortunately it’s quite low, so I had to do some tweaking of settings on the transmitter and receiver to get a reasonable balance. I’m going to try a couple of alternative cab sim solutions;
    (1) Sonicake IR ordered from eBay - inexpensive IR loader with both 1/4in jack and XLR outputs.
    (2) Runoff Groove Condor - DIY build analog cab sim, to which I’ll add a balanced line output via a transformer. I have all the parts for this except for a particular J-FET, also now ordered.

It does feel like a never-ending quest to achieve the best solution!
  • Keefy said:
    Keefy said:

One thing I wish I’d checked beforehand was the output level from the Palmer DI. I split it between one input of my IEM transmitter and the PA, so I always have my own monitor signal in my earphones. Unfortunately it’s quite low, so I had to do some tweaking of settings on the transmitter and receiver to get a reasonable balance. I’m going to try a couple of alternative cab sim solutions;
    (1) Sonicake IR ordered from eBay - inexpensive IR loader with both 1/4in jack and XLR outputs.
    (2) Runoff Groove Condor - DIY build analog cab sim, to which I’ll add a balanced line output via a transformer. I have all the parts for this except for a particular J-FET, also now ordered.

It does feel like a never-ending quest to achieve the best solution!
    The Ampster has developed a couple of faults, so it's on it's way back to GAK for review. In the meantime, I've already got an RDC on the board for overdrives/distortion. I can get acceptably close to those overdrives with the Ridge and I have a PDI-09 in my gigbox. Hmmm.... What I do not want to do is put the GT1000Core back on just for amp/cab sounds.

And it really is a never-ending quest. isn't it? I'm not looking for convenience with a "go direct" solution, I'm looking to take as much control as I can for my live sound without having to listen to fizzy amp modellers and IRs.

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 638
    Going to be travelling a fair bit in the upcoming so decided to make a do-it-all board:

Tuner > Pitch Box > Magus > Stomp > IronHeart> Stomp > IronHeart then straight to cab

The Stomp and IronHeart live in 4CM so I can have blocks in front of and in the FX loop of the IronHeart. 

Hotone used to add extra footswitches to the Stomp.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No pix (sorry) but I seem to be working quite well with the RevivalDrive Compact giving me edge-of-breakup Voxy sort of tones that clean up with the guitar volume knob, running into a Neunaber Iconoclast cab emulator. Other tones require overdrive, etc. and I don't need JC/Twin cleans. The Palmer PDI-09 worked well, too, but the Iconoclast is a bit nicer, has stereo outputs and a headphone amp. 

Despite it being outside the time limit for refunds, GAK offered me a cash refund for the Ampster. As the RDC was working fine, that's what I did. Thank you GAK. Although, if it hadn't become faulty, I'd still be using it happily. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    here you go...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Amps from the ToneX the rest from the GTK Core. I have all the Origin Effects amp sims and all have been on the board at times.
    Left fs for patch changes, rh fs for tap tempo and reverb on/off.
    This frees the GTK buttons for effect switching.

https://flic.kr/p/2oPiiBJ
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    abw1989 said:
    Going to be travelling a fair bit in the upcoming so decided to make a do-it-all board:

Tuner > Pitch Box > Magus > Stomp > IronHeart> Stomp > IronHeart then straight to cab

The Stomp and IronHeart live in 4CM so I can have blocks in front of and in the FX loop of the IronHeart. 

What cab are you using with that?
    Don't touch that dial.
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    57Deluxe said:
    here you go...

Boss ME5 & Kay wah cor they bring back memories.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    @NickB that board is very nice. How do you find the M-EQ driver? And does it offer anything you can't get with an HX Stomp block? I ask because I also use a Stomp with extra pedals, and am always curious about what works well as a boost/drive/tone-sweetening kind of solution. At the moment, that tends to be a compressor with a bit of "push".
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 638
    Fez said:
    abw1989 said:

What cab are you using with that?
    @Fez - what ever I can find haha!

At the studio we practice in it's usually an aging Marshall 4x12 or a Line6 4x12. At home my H&K 2x12.