The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Although I hated Schumacher with a passion, I feel he was a more worthy world champ than Vettel. I think that he got more out of his car than anyone thought possible, even when it wasn't the best. Alonso does the same.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Although I hated Schumacher with a passion, I feel he was a more worthy world champ than Vettel. I think that he got more out of his car than anyone thought possible, even when it wasn't the best. Alonso does the same.
    I agree. I think Vettel benefits from the fact he has his own personal car designer. Webber's alluded to the fact that the Red Bull car is build around the needs of Vettel. I also think that much of the dislike of Vettel is his insistence on putting his finger in the air whilst yelling "now that's what I'm talking about boys ..." having heard a zillion times it grates. Although to be fair if Hamilton or Alonso was winning every race I bet they'd get booed. The fans want edge of your seat racing rather than one dominant team/driver combination.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Right - all round great champions. Who? I'm struggling to think of that many who won in more than one make if car. Fangio, Prost, Schumacher, Ascari possibly, Fittipaldi I think...
  • Actually most of them had dominant cars....
  • holnrew said:
    Vettel will never be considered a legend until he wins a title in a non-Newey car.

It doesn't matter how accurate that is - that is public perception, and for sports legends that is all that matters.
    Do people consider Schumacher to be a legend? He didn't win without Brawn. Just a thought.

Many do, and Brawn is not a car designer.
  • It takes a team effort to win the WDC or WCC, and a decent budget these days. Schumacher and Brawn didn't do so well at Mercedes. You can't simplify the winning package down to a couple of people.

If Marusia had enough money to get Newey that team wouldn't be winning any time soon. It took Newey 3 seasons to get Red Bull right. He never really got McLaren dominant.
    Right - all round great champions. Who? I'm struggling to think of that many who won in more than one make if car. Fangio, Prost, Schumacher, Ascari possibly, Fittipaldi I think...
    Graham Hill ... Jackie Stewart .. more than you think.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I forgot Hill was BRM first. Stewart was Matra/Tyrell for all of his 3. They were all dominant cars of there time though. Nobody wins without the best teamwork and the best car.

I forgot Hill was BRM first. Stewart was Matra/Tyrell for all of his 3. They were all dominant cars of there time though. Nobody wins without the best teamwork and the best car.

But technically Matra and Tyrell were different teams. I agree that they had dominant cars.

• Hmmm they were pretty much the same team, Matra International was really ken tyrell's team in 69. But granted it was a different manufacturer of chassis under Stewart.
    Hmmm they were pretty much the same team, Matra International was really ken tyrell's team in 69. But granted it was a different manufacturer of chassis under Stewart.
    That's basically what I meant - there were new designers on board. It wasn't like Brawn - same team and car, but a change of name from Honda Racing.

• Fretwired said:
     I also think that much of the dislike of Vettel is his insistence on putting his finger in the air whilst yelling "now that's what I'm talking about boys ..." having heard a zillion times it grates.
    If he just learned to say "YEAH!" or "C'MON!" instead of that nerdy "YESSSSS!" I'm sure his popularity would increase dramatically.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired;42248" said:
    Van_Hayden said:

Hmmm they were pretty much the same team, Matra International was really ken tyrell's team in 69. But granted it was a different manufacturer of chassis under Stewart.

That's basically what I meant - there were new designers on board. It wasn't like Brawn - same team and car, but a change of name from Honda Racing.
    Yeah Brawn & Button lucked in there...

Maybe someone should suggest vettel try and beat Surtees' two and four wheel record.... Let the Moto GP guys have him for a bit. Better still send him to America....

• CabbageCat;42254" said:
    Fretwired said: I also think that much of the dislike of Vettel is his insistence on putting his finger in the air whilst yelling "now that's what I'm talking about boys ..." having heard a zillion times it grates.

If he just learned to say "YEAH!" or "C'MON!" instead of that nerdy "YESSSSS!" I'm sure his popularity would increase dramatically.
    That's what imatalkingabout....
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I hate his face when he's pointing, it looks like he's pooing.

Not quite as obnoxious as Gareth Bales gay heart thing though.
    My V key is broken
  • Planet F1 reporting that McLaren are looking at Hulkenburg, and haven't confirmed JB or the Mexican, who's sponsors have yet to stump up the cash for him to drive.

• Ooo interesting. I still think JB is safer for next year...
  • I'm not so sure. My money's on..........errrr...........the money!

• I can't see who they'd have to replace him, Massa with a big pile of sponsor cash perhaps. The big changes will come with Honda, next year will be like the McLaren Peugeot disaster in 94.

I think they want JB next year only, then for him to retire and become a brand ambassador to sell sportscars to rich people. Leaving the way for Alonso to drive the nice new Honda Powered car. Alonso will be grumpy at Ferrari - I've heard rumors that the Ferrari turbo is behind the Merc and Renault.... And that'll make McLaren look more interesting for the Spaniard.
    Button's signed for one year at McLaren ... Perez is safe if his sponsorship money turns up. I think McLaren will look to get Alonso or Vettel when Honda turn up. Next year won't good as Mercedes won't play ball.