The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Been away and only just watched Monza this pm. Not the greatest race ever was it? Also, I gather that due to grid penalties that only one car actually started in its qualifying position.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Looks like the merry-go-round is nearly finished.

Toro Rosso lose Carlos Sainz but get Honda engines.

Sainz goes to Renault - Palmer is out of F1.

McLaren get Renault engines for 2018 and a long term partnership with a new manufacturer. Alonso stays at McLaren.

Red Bull start working with Honda with a view to becoming the Honda works team in 2019.

The FIA to help Honda catch up with the other three engines suppliers.

Honda gets out of its toxic relationship with McLaren and Alonso.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Is there an engine and formula rule change for 2019?

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    rocktron said:
    Is there an engine and formula rule change for 2019?

Probablely go to 7 engines with all the extra races ;)
    rocktron said:
    Is there an engine and formula rule change for 2019?

New engines for 2021. The teams want simpler, cheaper engines. Porsche has said they would be interested in returning to F1 if this happens and McLaren are currently exploring the possibility of building their own engine for the 2021 season. New regs to be agreed 2018/2019.

• Funny how Toxicity follows Alonso around... Mclaren, Ferrari and now Mclaren/Honda. Either just bad luck but he's also made some poor choices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So, who's going to Toro Rossi to replace Sainz?

• And anyone know what time race start is on the UK TV? I'm struggling to find out.

• And anyone know what time race start is on the UK TV? I'm struggling to find out.
    Channel 4 coverage is:

TV Schedule for this weekends live Singapore Grand Prix

Friday 15th September

10:55 - Practice 1

14:25 - Practice 2

Saturday 16th September 

10:55 - Practice 3

12:55 - Qualifying

Sunday 17th September

12:00 - Race
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited September 2017
    ....although the 12 start on Sunday is probably the programme so tune in an hour later to miss that arse they have presenting it. 
  • Brilliant, thanks for that. I'm not back home until early Sunday, so I should be able to record it.

edited September 2017
    Red Bull confirm split from Renault at the end of 2018. Renault have told Red Bull they no longer want to supply them after next season. RB will be working with Honda on a developing the engine.

• I'm thinking Renault have just got the last punch in.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    FX_Munkee said:
    I'm thinking Renault have just got the last punch in.

RB want to build their own engine .. depending on the rules RB may quit F1 in 2020. Could be an opportunity for a company like Porsche to pick up the RB team and rename it and stick a Porsche engine in it. I bet Max is getting itchy feet at the thought of ending up like Alonso .. :-)

• Managed to see qualifying, Well, who'd a thought the Red Bull's would be mixing it at the top? Ferraris sandbagging?

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Managed to see qualifying, Well, who'd a thought the Red Bull's would be mixing it at the top? Ferraris sandbagging?
    Can't see the point of them doing that when overtaking is so difficult. Good to have someone else on the front row for a change, I just hope Max doesn't go crazy at the start. 
  • Great to see the bulls up there, but looks like it's a one-off for this circuit, sadly. I don't think Ferrari were sandbagging, just that Vettel didn't hook up a really proper lap until Q3.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • So.. possible wet race today, and Grosjean not keen on driving Singapore in the rain - https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/grosjean-singapore-rain-race-concerns-954294/

Perez is staying at FI. Unsurprising with Renaut's seats both taken.

And Aston Martin will be RB's title sponsor next year. I reckon we'll get 3 years of Aston Martin Red Bull Racing then they'll buy the team and bring their own engines and become Red Bull Aston Martin Racing when the new regs kick in.  If Honda buys TR and Porsche comes in with someone (Williams, maybe?) that'd be great news all round.

And Aston Martin will be RB's title sponsor next year. I reckon we'll get 3 years of Aston Martin Red Bull Racing then they'll buy the team and bring their own engines and become Red Bull Aston Martin Racing when the new regs kick in.  If Honda buys TR and Porsche comes in with someone (Williams, maybe?) that'd be great news all round.

The owner of Red Bull is friendly with the management at Porsche. I can see him wanting to hook up with them if they return. I'm not sure Aston Martin have the money to make an engine on their own - I could see them hooking up with McLaren or Williams. McLaren want to build their own engine and there could be synergy between the McLaren road car programme and Aston Martin. They don't compete as McLaren is in super car territory, but I could see the logic of a McLaren Aston Martin tie up as Aston Martin has something McLaren don't have - an iconic brand with history.

• Aaand negotiations to get Palmer out early have begun... 

http://www.planetf1.com/news/palmer-offered-sizeable-sum-to-leave-early/

He might be a journeyman F1 driver, but he's going to be a rich man..!