The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Vettal penalised 3 grid places.   =).   Mercedes will have to do something very special to lose this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7007
    Garthy said:
    And still people talk of F1 being the pinnacle of motorsport technology... pah. 

It is, the 919 Evo doesn't conform to any rulebook.
    The previous record was held by Stefan Bellof in a Group C Porsche 956.  I'm sad to see it broken, but it's somehow fitting that it was by another Porsche.

F1 cars haven't run at full pace on the Nordschliefe since 1976.  There've been a few demo runs, but none them were going for a lap time.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Garthy said:
    I wish they had taken it to IoM just to shut the bikers up. 
    Errrr, why?
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Vettal penalised 3 grid places.   =).   Mercedes will have to do something very special to lose this.
    Like crash into each other at the start or the first corner .. that's not happened before has it ..  ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    And they seem to be achieving special is all sorts of ways.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Quite a good race so far, apart from the wrong RB blowing up!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited July 2018
    Lap 64! Oh shit!

Max & Kimi to crash, Grosjean to break his duck with a podium with K-Mag next to him? D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well done Max and credit to Vettel ...

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Surprised Ferrari didn’t swap orders at the end, unless they asked and Kimi ignored it of course. 

Pleased for Max, and gutted for Ricardo. 
    Surprised Ferrari didn’t swap orders at the end, unless they asked and Kimi ignored it of course. 

According to news reports Ferrari asked Vettel if he'd like to swap and he said no .. hence my comment above.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Fretwired said:

According to news reports Ferrari asked Vettel if he'd like to swap and he said no .. hence my comment above.
    Hadn’t heard that, big thumbs up to Seb in that case. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22137
    Cols said:
    The previous record was held by Stefan Bellof in a Group C Porsche 956.  I'm sad to see it broken, but it's somehow fitting that it was by another Porsche.

F1 cars haven't run at full pace on the Nordschliefe since 1976.  There've been a few demo runs, but none them were going for a lap time.
    AM driver Nicki Thiim was speaking about the Porsche run at the weekend. He said that amongst all the drivers he'd talked to that there was obvious wowness over what the Evo has done but that Bellof's lap is still untouchable because of the car he was in. I get the impression that's true for Timo Bernhard as well. 

On a side note: if JV says it's wrong, it's got to be right. 

http://www.f1i.com/news/309174-ferrari-wrong-promote-leclerc-2019-villeneuve.html

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1303
    He's right in that he can only be compared with his teammate this season, but he just seems to have that special something doesn't he?

I don't think it's too soon.  He's in F1 anyway, why is it so bad to be in a car that could win a race?
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1443
    Dodge said:
    Wow. Right before the home GP. 

I can't help wonder if McLaren's whole structure is wrong, and stopping them from making quick, hard decisions , which they very obviously need right now. 
  • Dodge said:

'Resigned' - amazed he lasted so long without being fired. At least this way they avoid having to pay him off...

Interesting that they've got de Ferran in as a replacement. He and Alonso seemed to develop a good relationship at Indy last year, I wonder if getting him in is partly to try and tempt Alonso to stay?
    Dodge said:

'Resigned' - amazed he lasted so long without being fired. At least this way they avoid having to pay him off...

Interesting that they've got de Ferran in as a replacement. He and Alonso seemed to develop a good relationship at Indy last year, I wonder if getting him in is partly to try and tempt Alonso to stay?
    Probably a 'double-envelope' job. Now they need to temp Newey into one more challenge.

• ColsCols Frets: 7007
    Fretwired said:
    Dodge said:

Probably a 'double-envelope' job. Now they need to temp Newey into one more challenge.
    Having read Adrian Newey’s excellent autobiography, I don’t think he would be caught dead in McLaren again.  He was particularly scathing of their ‘wretchedly complicated matrix structure’, which was brought in to ensure that no one person had so much control that their departure would critically damage the operation.

Ironically, this approach is what has got them into the current mess; there’s no one person to take overall responsibility for the car, so the aero, chassis and engineering heads haven’t been working in synchrony.
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Dodge said:

Having read Adrian Newey’s excellent autobiography, I don’t think he would be caught dead in McLaren again.  He was particularly scathing of their ‘wretchedly complicated matrix structure’, which was brought in to ensure that no one person had so much control that their departure would critically damage the operation.

Ironically, this approach is what has got them into the current mess; there’s no one person to take overall responsibility for the car, so the aero, chassis and engineering heads haven’t been working in synchrony.
    Exactly. 

The major issue with Honda seems to be that McLaren were telling them "we have an amazing aero solution, we just need you to make a PU that fits in this box", which resulted in an engine that fitted in the box but overheated and/or shook itself to bits at every opportunity.

What they should have been doing is working together with chassis & aero guys to get the best compromise between a small and light but powerful engine and an aero/chassis package that uses that power efficiently to get an overall racing car that's quick and reliable. 

Judging from the trouble they're having this year they still haven't learned on the engine side, AND have now got a crap aero/chassis combination because they've been twiddling thumbs for 2 years convinced the chassis was god's gift.

Who was it talking about "chilling balls in pools" a couple of years back?
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Dodge said:

But that was Ron .. I'm pretty sure the Sheik of whatever would have a clear-out to get Newey. The guy looks bored at Red Bull.