Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Getting the Clapton Tone.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30937
edited August 2023 in Guitar
How on earth does Eric get so much compressed drive out of his guitar to amp?

I have a big tweed; I have a midboosted strat; I have cranked them, but still nowhere near his level of sag, drive and compression.

Is there something missing? An extra preamp stage or something? I know his amps are modded from even his sig stock, but so, so hard to get there.

And obvs I don't have his fingers.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24529
    I like that this is in off topic as Clapton hasn't been relevant for decades.

I can only imagine it's because of his massive use of non-standard medication and a lack of vaccines with a pinch of racism.
    36reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    With your own amp, you are hearing the amp raw.  What you hear with Clapton is almost certainly mic'd and through a desk.  Mic placement a bit off the centre of the cone would soften the top end a bit.  His sound guys might have some kind of mic pre between the mic and the desk.  It might be partly that you aren't hearing your amp processed in the same way.

There are other things you could look at.  You could try a different rectifier valve in your amp. Some will cause more sag than others, and supply a lower voltage to the power valves.  You need to be careful about current requirements but it may be an option.

However he does it, he does cut through.  I was at the Joe Bonamassa gig at the Albert Hall that was recorded and released on DVD.  When Clapton came on for his cameo, he really cut through the mix - far more than Bonamassa did.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30937
    @crunchman ;

That's helpful and yes, of course.

This is the tone...it's absolutely wonderful. As is the playing in this- Eric at his finest.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4725
    I like that this is in off topic as Clapton hasn't been relevant for decades.

I can only imagine it's because of his massive use of non-standard medication and a lack of vaccines with a pinch of racism.

Bitch ;)
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    There’s a 2021 Rig Rundown but basically sig strats into modded Bandmasters. I think these are 3x10s? Everything on 7 apparently. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    There’s a 2021 Rig Rundown but basically sig strats into modded Bandmasters. I think these are 3x10s? Everything on 7 apparently. 
    Ah yes, the number of the beast
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    How on earth does Eric get so much compressed drive out of his guitar to amp?

I have a big tweed; I have a midboosted strat; I have cranked them, but still nowhere near his level of sag, drive and compression.

Is there something missing? An extra preamp stage or something? I know his amps are modded from even his sig stock, but so, so hard to get there.

And obvs I don't have his fingers.

Bias it hard to the right.
    19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11930
    roberty said:
    Ah yes, the number of the beast
    More like the neighbour of the beast.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14545
    On stage, at selected marked locations, the monitors will be interacting with the guitar's pickups, contributing feedback to aid sustain.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    Lots of Volume. He also has a Crybaby in the chain, not sure if it is true bypass or not, if not the buffer does colour the sound a little (the dunlop buffer is not particularly good)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 797
    I've circled this rabbit hole before but haven't fallen in yet but I'm intrigued to see what the Board have to say regarding this so following.  

• How far are you away from your rig when it's cranked? I would imagine that being right next to it would sound different to being at some distance, as we are when we go to gigs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    Gassage said:
    @crunchman ;

This is the tone...it's absolutely wonderful. As is the playing in this- Eric at his finest.

Still a great player and tone. Let's burn the Clapton haters!
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    @crunchman ;

When he plays like that, albeit it can be hit and miss with him live, he is untouchable. Literally untouchable.

I was at that show and his playing on that tour was sensational

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    @crunchman ;

Sure, but make sure you use Clapton CS strats for firewood. That way we can die smiling. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    I would assume that your J40 is less compressed than Clapton's high power tweeds. 
    I'd experiment with the hi/lo switch and get it darker and dirtier and then try different boost levels. 

You also really need to play more aggressively.
    You wont get that "sting" with a floppy right hand and lazy vibrato.

I would assume that your J40 is less compressed than Clapton's high power tweeds. 
    I'd experiment with the hi/lo switch and get it darker and dirtier and then try different boost levels. 

You also really need to play more aggressively.
    You wont get that "sting" with a floppy right hand and lazy vibrato.

Prob a lot easier with a J10 or 20.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9850
    edited August 2023
    I'm never normally glad to hear his playing, but I was incredibly grateful to hear it as it meant he'd stopped that god awful "drunk uncle at a funeral wake" singing!

Was a decent tone to be fair to him, but it didn't sound like anything too out of the ordinary. I imagine he had a good team mixing the band as there were so many players on stage so perhaps some compression applied afterwards around the frequencies of his guitar solo pitch?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1025
    edited August 2023
    "Drunk uncle at a funeral wake singing". I think I might have heard it all now. So off the money it's frightening. 

Apologies for the diversion.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Here we go haha
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom