Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Getting the Clapton Tone.

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12072
    "Drunk uncle at a funeral wake singing". I think I might have heard it all now. So off the money it's frightening. 

Accurate or not, it was bloody funny.  Oddly enough, Clappo's voice is one of the things I like most about his music.  His playing is one of the things I like least :-)

<retreats as mass brawl breaks out>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    Gassage said:
    @crunchman ;

That's helpful and yes, of course.

This is the tone...it's absolutely wonderful. As is the playing in this- Eric at his finest.

This makes me feel old...that clip is from nearly 30 years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16005
    What you need is a Kingsley Jester Custom....;)
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 833
    I wonder if this pre-amp pedal would help you get closer to that sound? 

JSA Effects Porta IV https://reverb.com/item/72709302?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=72709302

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7384
    Don’t bother with any of that amp stuff you mentioned, just get the Digitech Crossroads pedal straight to desk and you’re sorted.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5188
    Yep…..I’ve always wondered how Clappo got his sound. I assumed it was the active onboard boosty thing he uses….
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9912
    edited August 2023
    Sorry for potentially derailing the thread but actually strangely for me my comment was actually a back handed compliment to him because while I was criticising his singing (which I stand by nonetheless, and the awful piano playing), his tone and playing was actually quite enjoyable and especially so in what was a crowded mix. I just wish the video had started at that point and without the song song sing along bit at the start.

My comment was badly worded perhaps, but of course I'm sure Eric of all people should forgive that!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    his good tone back then in the NBTB days were playing a 335/other semihollow, the strat sound was always a lot more nasal and reedy in comparison. was he using soldanos at the time? who cares really, compressed heavy-midrange tones aren't exactly hard to get, and there are many routes there. just step on a tubescreamer or klone or something.

feel like this period was the first time he was singing the way he always wanted to, he figured something out. it's refreshing to see him looking "workmanlike", in the tshirt and loose trousers. i saw a fairly recent pic of him on stage wearing some awful hooded letterman jacket, hood up, looking as ridiculous as his sociopolitical ramblings.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited August 2023
    Gassage said:
    @crunchman ;;;;

This is the tone...it's absolutely wonderful. As is the playing in this- Eric at his finest.

Wear glasses, use a compressor along with all the other stuff.

Seriously - they always say tone is in the fingers and Clapton exemplifies that IMO.  The playing is always very logical - downstrokes on strong beats, A goes to B then C, so to speak, and so he never wastes notes.  Superb call and response player.  He is also a very learned man as far as post-war electric blues guitarists (20th century) go.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19114
    jdgm said:
    Gassage said:
    @crunchman ;

You make him sound like tyre fitter or a sandblaster.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23231
    DefaultM said:
    Don’t bother with any of that amp stuff you mentioned, just get the Digitech Crossroads pedal straight to desk and you’re sorted.
    Absolutely.  Oddly I'd just been reading an old review of it before I saw this thread.

mooserss review - DigiTech Crossroads Eric Clapton - Audiofanzine
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    edited August 2023
    I’ve seen him three times in the last 18 months; RAH in May 2022, Woking Leisure Centre ‘dry’ New Year’s Eve show (capacity about 1000 people) and RAH in May this year for the Jeff Beck Tribute. I was close to the front on each occasion and was surprised how much level was coming from his amp - much of what I was hearing was definitely from the back line, rather than the PA.

Though his sound wasn’t massively distorted, I reckon the power stage and speakers were being driven hard. At Woking there wasn’t even a wah pedal - it was guitar straight into the amp. The guts of the amps were built by Dumble incidentally - though they appear to be Tweed Fenders.

This is from the Beck Tribute show - EC’s tone is huge:
    https://youtu.be/d5Cx4exM2sI?si=m6PNTk_2dNWjoJ37
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited August 2023
    jdgm said:

You make him sound like tyre fitter or a sandblaster.

Wow what a compliment!!  I didn't realise you'd heard me play!!!

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4667
    Personally I think the best sound he had was his 80s/90s Soldano and TC electronic rack gear. 
    Saw him in 89 on the Journeyman tour, the sound was awesome, plus lots of variation from song to sing, now we have the same tone + maybe the Leslie song after song after song.

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4295
    Offset said:
    Accurate or not, it was bloody funny.  Oddly enough, Clappo's voice is one of the things I like most about his music.  His playing is one of the things I like least :-)

<retreats as mass brawl breaks out>
    I agree with this. I am no big Clapton fan, aside from a few outings with the 335 which are exceptional, but the thing I usually come away with after watching, is how good his singing is. I must have had some serious pre conceived notion many years ago that he couldn’t be a good vocalist, because I still feel a bit surprised, even after the 100th time of watching him sing really well.  =)
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    Hi Eric does not like to comment on these threads but said if you find it please send it home to me lol
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5038
    edited August 2023
    "Off Topic"? Surely should have been moved to "Guitar" by now? @digitalscream @Roland ;
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26817
    "Off Topic"? Surely should have been moved to "Guitar" by now? @digitalscream @Roland ;

<space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24481
    Absolutely.  Get this music stuff out of my yard immediately !!!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • "Off Topic"? Surely should have been moved to "Guitar" by now? @digitalscream @Roland ;

littlegreenman < My tunes here...