Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Getting the Clapton Tone.

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72720
    HAL9000 said:
    Presumably some EQ pedals can give a mid boost?
    Yes - you could probably get close with something like a Boss GE-7, even though the individual frequency boost isn't enough, if you reduce the others as well and whack the master level up.

I can't find an accurate description of the frequency response, but there's some in here that might be helpful - https://line6.com/support/topic/26249-how-to-replicate-fenders-25-db-mid-boost/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 299
    Isn’t there a Demeter pedal that’s basically the Clapton boost in a box?
    There's definitely a Seymour Duncan pedal that is said to be the same or a very similar type boost
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30975
    Would a pedal boost or OD such as a Klone not give similar results as the mid-boost circuit?
    Klone no - far too hard a clip.

MXR Dist + is in ballpark

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14464
    tFB Trader
    HAL9000 said:
    Presumably some EQ pedals can give a mid boost?
    Ideal - Not sure how many actual 'mid boost' pedals are out there, compared to gain or treble boost options
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6870
    maharg101 said:
    Rock Against Racism !

Here's the thing. I love Clapton's work with Yardbirds and Cream, and I also think 461 Ocean Boulevard is a classic.

But I abhor the racism. 

Can you separate the art from the artist ? It's difficult. Sometimes impossible. 

Does Clapton still believe that crap he spouted in 1976 ? Yes, he was fucked up through substance abuse during that period. But that's no excuse..I've taken all sorts, and never decided that facism was the way forward.

No conclusions here. Just some meandering thoughts.
    Yes he has spoken about it - most recently and in-depth on the Life in 12-bars doc. 

I am disposed to give him the benefit of the doubt on that. However he was still quite diametrically opposed to me politics-wise and doesn't come over well on subjects such as immigration.

However, his anti-vax, anti-lockdown bullshit was purely the first time a rich famous guy had been told he couldn't do something and he responded very poorly and his comments could have endangered other idiots believing him and were basically unforgiveable in my opinion. 

Then he told everyone the vaccine caused him loads of pain in his hands and he'd have to stop touring. 6 years after giving an interview saying his hands were hurting and he'd have to stop touring because of a medical condition. 

He is still touring. 

So yeah he's a bellend for multiple reasons. But gave us a few years of some excellent guitar tones. 

My mate worked with him recently on a project and said he was absolutely lovely all day. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • yes you can get a pedal that is basically the TBX circuitry in a pedal, it's just a 25db boost pedal, there's youtube examples. Just google 25db boost pedal and part with £100 and you can get there. 

I think Clapton vax message was clear. He had all his jabs - he wasn't opposed to jabs but suffered bad side effects, almost to the point he thought he'd never play guitar again. All he wanted was more information to be publicly available on the side effects and when he spoke out about side effects and possibly the risk didn't outweigh the reward, he was ostracised. I consider that a verbatim of his stance.
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 299
    yes you can get a pedal that is basically the TBX circuitry in a pedal, it's just a 25db boost pedal, there's youtube examples. Just google 25db boost pedal and part with £100 and you can get there. 

I think Clapton vax message was clear. He had all his jabs - he wasn't opposed to jabs but suffered bad side effects, almost to the point he thought he'd never play guitar again. All he wanted was more information to be publicly available on the side effects and when he spoke out about side effects and possibly the risk didn't outweigh the reward, he was ostracised. I consider that a verbatim of his stance.
    It's true. I never saw not being able to play guitar on the list of possible side effects 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 722
    My standard answer for any pedal-based, mid-boosting, Clapton-Toning needs: 

VFE Standout !!!
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31702
    I don't think that a similar fat, overdriven sound is that elusive tbh, but that video is a lesson to people who don't see what the fuss is about with Eric Clapton.

I've never been a massive fan of his records and have never had much interest in seeing him live, but he can make a guitar sing like almost nobody else. It may be "just pentatonic noodling", but he has a touch that not enough people acknowledge or work on in their own playing. 

If you really want to get there dial in a similar enough tone, take one single phrase of his which grabs you and work like hell on just that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72720
    yes you can get a pedal that is basically the TBX circuitry in a pedal, it's just a 25db boost pedal
    The TBX and mid boost circuits are completely different things - both are in the Clapton Strat, but they work independently. The TBX is a tone control which, although designed to work with active circuits, is actually itself passive - Fender also fitted it to all USA Standard Strats and Teles, where it sucks tone somewhat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Blaming Covid or the vaccine was utter rubbish though. 

From a Washington Post Article in 2016, way before Covid.

'In an interview with Classic Rock Magazine, the 71-year-old musician revealed that he was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy in 2013 and that playing guitar, which once came so easy to him, is now “hard work.”

In a 2014 interview with Uncut magazine, the rock guitarist had said he was “looking at retirement” and that touring had become “unbearable,” Rolling Stone reported. In that same interview, he hinted at his condition — when asked if he would stop playing guitar, he said, “Maybe. It might be that I can’t, if it hurts too much. I have odd ailments.” — but this weekend’s interview is the first time he’s named it.

According to the Mayo Clinic, peripheral neuropathy refers to damage in one’s peripheral nerves and often results in stabbing, burning or tingling pain in the arms and legs. For Clapton, the pain came in the form of “electric shocks.”

The symptoms often “appear suddenly, progress rapidly, and resolve slowly,” according to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, which also noted that it can be debilitating but is seldom fatal.

“I’ve had quite a lot of pain over the last year,” Clapton told Classic Rock Magazine. “It started with lower back pain and turned into what they call peripheral neuropathy, which is where you feel like you have electric shocks going down your leg. And I’ve had to figure out how to deal with some other things from getting old.”

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Become a close friend of a Beatle,play on one or two of their records and become a multi millionaire. Easy really!
    Strange....I never got the same reactions to Eric on The Gear Page.....

• This thread's already been split off once.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    I don't think that a similar fat, overdriven sound is that elusive tbh, but that video is a lesson to people who don't see what the fuss is about with Eric Clapton.

You’ll have to teach me, then; I’ve watched the video and I still don’t get what the fuss is about.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4273
    edited September 2023
    Gassage said:
    Strange....I never got the same reactions to Eric on The Gear Page.....
    There's a whole page dedicated to him being on the gear?

Anyway, closer to topic - when it comes to guitar-slinging electric blues, he created the definitive document in "From The Cradle". Whatever anyone thinks about the man, or the state of his playing these days, if you know and love blues then it's undeniable. None of the blues rockers could do what he did on that album and none of the originators could have covered the breadth. 

All of the tones on there are amazing. Is that the same sort of ere as the video posted by the OP? The trousers look similar....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31702
    p90fool said:

You’ll have to teach me, then; I’ve watched the video and I still don’t get what the fuss is about.

Hey it's not obligatory, nobody has to like it or be affected in any way by it.

My point was simply that the last few percent of anyone's tone is them, not the gear, and I'm sure you'd have your own examples which others might not get. 

I play girly pop/R&B covers mainly, but Paul Kossoff gives me goosebumps and I don't know why. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with anyone who doesn't feel the same. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:

I am honestly surprised.

To me that solo is a knockout- perfect phrasing, emotion, pace, note choice- it has it all.

edited September 2023

If we can separate the art from the artist I could happily do a top 10 songs/videos of what made/makes Eric Clapton special.

If people want to ignore history and what came before him and what came after that's up to them but his work, his licks and his playing style, plus his synthesising older blues licks through (then) modern equipment and tones formed such an intrinsic part of the blues rock vocabulary that you are probably playing his stuff even if you don't know you are. 

If you hate blues/rock then fair enough please disregard. 

But I'd recommend as a primer - 

Most of the Beano Album
    The Cream BBC Sessions version of Steppin' Out
    Guitar Solo on While my Guitar gently Weeps
    Guitar Solo on I Feel Free / White Room
    Riff and tone of SWLABR
    Have you ever loved a woman on Derek and the Dominoes
    Edge of Darkness soundtrack
    Iconic pink Armani suit making Mark Knopfler look like a sack of potatoes at Knebworth

1985 live version of Badge (Prince's Trust?)
    Sinner's Prayer on From the Cradle. 

• LewyLewy Frets: 4273
    soma1975 said:

If we can separate the art from the artist I could happily do a top 10 songs/videos of what made/makes Eric Clapton special.

If people want to ignore history and what came before him and what came after that's up to them but his work, his licks and his playing style, plus his synthesising older blues licks through (then) modern equipment and tones formed such an intrinsic part of the blues rock vocabulary that you are probably playing his stuff even if you don't know you are. 

If you hate blues/rock then fair enough please disregard. 

But I'd recommend as a primer - 

Most of the Beano Album
    The Cream BBC Sessions version of Steppin' Out
    Guitar Solo on While my Guitar gently Weeps
    Guitar Solo on I Feel Free / White Room
    Riff and tone of SWLABR
    Have you ever loved a woman on Derek and the Dominoes
    Edge of Darkness soundtrack
    Iconic pink Armani suit making Mark Knopfler look like a sack of potatoes at Knebworth

1985 live version of Badge (Prince's Trust?)
    Sinner's Prayer on From the Cradle. 

Very different tone to the one being espoused in this thread, but I also love his moody soundtrack stuff on Lethal Weapon and Rush too (although in the case of the latter, less fond of that song)