Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Furch?

What's Hot
It’s my birthday next week and I have permission to buy myself a decent acoustic. I’m a ‘professional’ player (mainly teacher tbh, but hoping to do quite a bit more gigging soon. I’ve used a Martin 000X1 since 2007, when it won out for the warmest sounding guitar in my budget. 

I’m thinking of visiting the dreaded Richards Guitars in Stratford and playing as many acoustics as I can get my hands on. I’m curious about the Furch guitars…are they as good as the internet makes them appear? Anyone here experienced with them?

I’d like something more 3D sounding - more sparkly overtones and more bass. Perhaps Spruce/Rosewood. (Richards Guitars seems to only have Spruce/Black Walnut in stock unfortunately).

I’m open minded about body shape and size, cutaway etc. Guitars I’ve recently enjoyed include Yamaha LL-TA and Taylor AD-17. Self imposed budget is around £1.5K (probably in monthly payments).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Those I’ve heard sound very nice (player always makes a difference). Good value for your pound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Try the Dowina’s while you are there.  They are and Furch go back a long way.  Mostly hand made solid woods at very very good prices
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6872
    edited September 2023
    I think @Snags ;has one, but I dont know which model it is or how spendy
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I think We at Halcyon rates their satin finish which lets the sound open up. I'm not usually into rosewood but they did a great sounding one with torrified top.
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    edited September 2023
    I visited Guitar Village three years ago with every intention of buying a Martin and the cash to do so thanks to a pension commencement lump sum (yes I’m and old geezer). I had done my research, lots of reading etc. Played six or seven and just couldn’t get excited, my forty year old Japanese D18 copy was pretty much in the same league. This is not to knock Martins but they clearly weren’t what I needed. Recalled a comment somewhere about Furch acquiring some great tone woods, picked one up an bham! Yes that’s what I am looking for. I can’t tell you the model as I am away at the moment and can never remember it (cedar topped) but it’s lovely. A friend has a couple of Martins and had a Maton, all very nice but the Furch is just as good and for me the best of the lot, personal taste and all that. So definitely worth trying, I saved myself about £1 - £1.5k although that wasn’t the deciding factor. YMMV p.s. my acoustic ‘heroes’ are guys like Richard Thompson, and Martin Simpson
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    mrkb said:
    I think @Snags ;has one, but I dont know which model it is or how spendy
    I have a G23CRC which is the old naming system. Fitted with a Fishman Matrix Blend, and from the aforementioned Stratford upon Avon retail experience. 

The whole lot was about £1600 when I got it; I think the current equivalent is over 2k, but I've had mine a few years. 

It's still the guitar that gets everyone commenting on how it sounds when I play in public. In a good way. 
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 608
    Have a good look at them. I have a Furch OM30 that I bought in 2017 I think. Can't really go wrong and sound and build quality are up there. The naming conventions have changed beyond recognition and the price range is wide from basic stuff in the £600 area upwards.

I have been really happy with my mid range Furch for more years than I actually realised!
  • Thanks for the responses…I’m excited to try them now!
  • I own a Stonebridge spruce/maple12-string. An SF-25, I think. I've had it for 15-20 years now. That's a Furch, really, but made at a time when they were trying to break into the US and felt a "foreign" name wouldn't be as acceptable to Americans, so they rebranded for North America. They've dropped that policy, thank goodness. 

Very well made, sounds lovely, plays well and stays in tune when it's in the case. No regrets at all. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3702
    I've got a Furch Little Jane travel guitar which I'm really impressed with great sounding and incredible workmanship.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    I was looking for a 'lifer' acoustic about 10 years ago. Went looking for a Martin, but bought a Stonebridge DS23CR. It's aged beautifully and is still my main guitar.
  • I *think* furch were/are something to do with Lebeda? I had one of the high end square neck resonators - it was better than all the famous US made alternatives, albeit not a cheap guitar in its own right
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 246
    It’s like anything you got to try all the models.  I’ve tried a super expensive one red series? I can’t remember now and didn’t like it at all.  That felt really modern Taylor like with a slim neck which is the opposite of my taste.  
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    edited September 2023
    I bought my Blue OM-CM from Richard's last year. Very positive experience, nothing bad to say about them whatever others have experienced. The guitar stood out amongst the others I tried with a particularly full bass but good balance across the strings. I agree with the comment about them having a slightly slim neck but not a deal-breaker for me.
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 134
    edited September 2023
    Thanks all. I’m going to take my Martin for comparison and will play on as many as I can within the price range.

im not sure about thin necks but I do want a 1,3/4” nut (my Martin being an older Nazareth-made one has 1,11/16ths) and a cutaway would be really handy, scuse the pun.

The sound needs to be significantly better than the Martin or I’m not going to bother. I tried the Yamaha and the Taylors and they were all a bit better than the Martin…more bass mainly and the Taylors in particular were very responsive. I often feel Taylors are very ‘eager’ sounding…they’re like an excited puppy compared to the old Martin Labrador. 

Sorry know why I’ve gone into dog metaphors…
  • My Furch G23-CRC has a 45mm nut and not what I'd call a particularly slim neck, although it's no baseball bat. I think they do three nut widths. As others have said, excellent guitars and beautifully put together. I've played a few now - different body sizes and wood combinations - and all have been superb. I'm on the lookout for a pre-owned spruce/rosewood OM at the moment and it's highly likely to be another Furch.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5461
    My mate - the chap pictured with me outside the Brook workshop in their news column from when we were there ordering my new Lyn - bought his lovely little Auden parlour at Richards, and was very happy with the whole experience. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks - I only wrote ‘dreaded’ because I know some people here are not keen on Richard. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5461
    ^ There are some horror stories. Richard seems to be like the Little Girl with the Little Curl.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    The Martin X series is nice and warm, but you’re gonna love any of these other acoustics that are getting mentioned.  Something about that Martin HPL lacks resonance and volume.  Nothing compares to an all solid wood acoustic.  Happy searching.