Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Furch?

What's Hot

Comments

• G23-CR all the way... It's the same guitar, just new naming convention.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3703
    Did you notice that the Stonebridge has had a headstock break? That would put me off, illogical as it’s possibly stronger than before but it would always niggle me. If you can afford it I’d go for the Yellow it may “only” be 5% better but I’d probably always consider the Blue to be second best. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    I'm with @drofluf. It's a beautiful guitar - I'm assuming this is the one: https://rguitars.co.uk/products/furch-yellow-series-g-cr-c - and the combination of cedar and rosewood is a heavenly match. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • <snip>
    Now to complicate matters there’s a Stonebridge G23-CR in guitarguitar for 849! I could save 1K…and I’ve just checked YouTube vids on these and they sound like the Yellow series to my ears.

what would you do?
    If you can afford it, buy the one you liked the most and get with playing and enjoying it. To bastardise a quote by Benjamin Franklin...

"You'll regret not purchasing the one you held in your hands and liked the most long after the sweetness of getting a bargain is forgotten - and by then, someone else will be playing the guitar you could have been playing" 

:-) 

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • <snip>
    Now to complicate matters there’s a Stonebridge G23-CR in guitarguitar for 849! I could save 1K…and I’ve just checked YouTube vids on these and they sound like the Yellow series to my ears.

what would you do.

Is that the pre-owned one?  It doesn’t matter to some people, but it has had a headstock break. Professionally repaired and covered by 12 month warranty. But would also explain the lower price.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 234
    Hmm. I'd be wary of a headstock break. If it's fallen that heavily it could have loosened braces too. I'm all for buying good pre-loved (wow, the language they use to spruce up the sound of the phrase 'second-hand' these days!).

@Littlejonny it does sound amazing in that video clip.
    Mind you, I think if you put some strings across an IKEA wardrobe Al Petteway would make it sound good!  =)

Before covid I went to Forsythe's in Manchester with a friend as he wanted to try a Furch and that was the nearest dealership. Tried a few before deciding. I can't remember the model though. They are nice guitars, I liked them a lot. 
    Happy agonising!
     :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    edited September 2023
    Glad you liked the Furches. I posted earlier in this thread but I am back home now and have looked up the model of mine and it’s a yellow G-CR. I don’t find their model designations very memorable but I still love the guitar three years on. The only thing that let’s it down is the person playing 

This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • Oooh. Has the finish aged a bit? One thing I’m not keen on is the tawny look of the cedar on the new ones.
  • Does anyone here own a Furch Blue cedar?
  • Also, I should say that on playing all the guitars I could get my hands on, the (Taylor inspired?) GA shape was the best for me…it has almost the bass of a dread but responds quicker.
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    edited September 2023
    Well it was brand new when that pic was taken, I think it’s still pretty much the same colour now though. Yes, lots of low end. It’s just BIG sounding for want of a better word, and balanced too. I play it finger style and once I have warmed up don’t have any trouble getting the whole thing to sing nicely. Someone used the word compressed to describe the Martins they tried in comparison and that was kind of my experience, not to diss them but this was what liked on the day.
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    Oooh. Has the finish aged a bit? One thing I’m not keen on is the tawny look of the cedar on the new ones.
    Cedar does that. Perfectly natural, nothing to be done about it. 

However, Spruce does it too. Possibly European and perhaps Englemann do it a little more slowly than other spruces (or possibly not) but yellowing of a crisp white top is as inevitable as hardening of the arteries and (if certain parties here are to be believed) getting dangly bollocks. 

Essentially, light-colored timbers darken as they age. Dark-coloured timbers grow lighter. Fact of life.

In the end, everything fades to beige.

A bit like the Rolling Stones, really.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tannin said:
    Oooh. Has the finish aged a bit? One thing I’m not keen on is the tawny look of the cedar on the new ones.

However, Spruce does it too. Possibly European and perhaps Englemann do it a little more slowly than other spruces (or possibly not) but yellowing of a crisp white top is as inevitable as hardening of the arteries and (if certain parties here are to be believed) getting dangly bollocks. 

Essentially, light-colored timbers darken as they age. Dark-coloured timbers grow lighter. Fact of life.

• Sorry - I tried to reply…Tannin you misread my post - I like the orangey colour they turn and was hoping the new ones would do the same
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited September 2023
    Hi OP here…I made the journey to Richards Guitars today and spent a couple of hours playing on guitars. So many beautiful guitars in there - absolutely fantastic. Customer service was amazing as well. 

All the guitars were lovely - the Dowinas look great but were a little bass-light.. The Audens were the opposite - really warm and deep, but slightly subdued and compressed. The Furch guitars I tried blew my head off though. I’ve never played a cedar topped steel string before and I’m loved it. 

I genuinely couldn’t decide between a Blue GC CM and a Yellow GC CR. The former was 999 and the latter 1800 (lowest price he could do). It seems the Blue was exceptionally good for the price but there was an extra 5% more silkiness and bass to the Yellow. 

They had a beautiful second hand Lowden for 2800 that I felt was comparable to these guitars, albeit slightly louder and with a pingy frequency in the upper mids that I think I’d get annoyed with eventually. 

It was so good of them to let me spend the time trying them out. I went in with an open mind and I was impressed with all the guitars. The Eastmans were really impressive as well. I was close to choosing the AC222ce, but the Furch’s were clearly a step up.

what would you do?
    Glad you had fun

I've never been able to try them head-to-head but I do get the feeling that Dowinas (based on, er, my one example) are a bit more "modern" than Furches.

I really can't advise what you should do- I'm indecisive enough about my own guitars!

EDIT: Also what @Tannin said about the colours of the top woods- cedar is probably a bit more orangey than most spruces even from the get-go as well. Though I'd say it's more important to pick based on the tone... spruce (apart maybe from European and Engelmann as @Tannin said) will probably get to a similar colour eventually too.
  • Tannin said:

Thanks for the info...on the dangly bollocks. You've saved me a doctor's visit.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RogRog Frets: 10
    Hi Little Johnny,  I have a Furch GC CR Rainbow, which is more or less the same spec as the Yellow with a few tweaks and custom options. You are probably aware that Stonebridge is effectively the same manufacturer.  When I was sourcing my guitar I checked a number of YT videos and reviews and seemed that the GC CR (either Furch or Stonebridge) was one of their most popular models and used by some very accomplished players, which is why I bought mine.   For what my opinion is worth I would go with the Stonebridge provided you are happy with the condition sound and playability.   You can always sell it a less of a loss if you don't like it,  but I am sure that you will not be disappointed.   They are great value and very well made.
  • Thanks Rog that’s encouraging - I’ve found a G23-CR in Exeter that’s 1250. It’s a 2011.

Does anyone here know when Furch started using the UV cured finish? If it has that, I’ll buy it.