Western Jam, Firebird Studios, Bristol, 25th February 2024

What's Hot

Comments

• Brocco said:
    Thanks @stratman3142. You mentioned that you could move to bass on La Grange if someone could take over your 2nd guitar part. Hybrid picking is not something I have tried before - any tips on getting to grips with this technique?
    There are loads of tutorials for La Grange on Youtube. The one below is the main one I used when learning it, and closest to the way I play it. But I find it's good to look at various tutorials if they're available.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 852
    @Brocco and @stratman3142 I am happy to play bass on La Grange if that helps?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I’m nearly there on Rebel Yell and just grinding it to make it more natural to play standing up.

For full authenticity I have got my Hamer branded Steve Stevens Signature underpants ready which is the most important thing.

The toanz in tha crack

He used them between 1999 and 2004 apparently…

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1744
    edited December 2023
    I’ll bring my little Bogner combo again and hopefully have worked out how to hook my FM3 in cleverly.

I know it’s very niche and not what the day is about - but I can bring some interesting old Hamers if anyone fancies a butchers and a blast  (and listen to me bang on about them of course!)

However, no one else may use Steve Stevens pants.

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4150
    edited December 2023
    @Bennyboy-UK here's how I created my take on a  Rebel Yell solo.  Loved playing that track live. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsMjIeRgUg-/?igshid=NzBmMjdhZWRiYQ==
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Bennyboy-UK here's how I created my take on a  Rebel Yell solo.  Loved playing that track live. 

That’s bloody great! I love it!

I’ve been working on the hybrid picking part for the intro that gets used Pre solo and at the end, and working over the solo from the record, but I’d love to smash out something original on the lead break as well.

What were you thinking for that - it’s mainly B with some leaning on some natural minor tonality isn’t it?

What stuff works? 

edited December 2023
    And it whips along at about 160 BPM which I’m not up playing if the lines were sextuplets.

On the record I feel like Steve is banging around at about half that pace with mega ear twisting note choices apart from the little tapping figure he does which is quicker.

I’ll be so nervous on the day that I’ll be at about 60% ability due to shaking and sweating!!!!

Maybe a lounge version

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 91
    Neilybob said:
    Thank you @Neilybob, La Grange now has a full line-up
    @stratman3142 please could you put me down for 2nd guitar on Rocks
  • Brocco said:
    Neilybob said:
    Yes that's great. @Brocco should I still put you down alongside me as 2nd guitar on La Grange? We could play it together or on separate run throughs.
    It's not a competition.
  • @Bennyboy-UK here's how I created my take on a  Rebel Yell solo.  Loved playing that track live. 

You really need to come to one of the jams. But expect to get grilled by @Bennyboy-UK who'll want to know what your tricks are :)

It's not a competition.
    edited December 2023
    (Everyone has secret weapons and I love learning from everyone!  )

Brocco said:
    Neilybob said:
    Yes that's great. @Brocco should I still put you down alongside me as 2nd guitar on La Grange? We could play it together or on separate run throughs.
    Best to leave me off La Grange as I'm really struggling wih the hybrid picking
  • Brocco said:
    Question for @SPECTRUM001 on Queen Bitch - will you be playing the fill / lick over the chorus, if so, we could move you to 1st guitar and I could move to 2nd.
    Hi @Brocco, nope, I am strictly rhythm - don't make it cry or sing !

Aside from actually finessing my ability, I am pretty much sorted on Queen Bitch, The Passenger, Sweet Jane, Public Image and Hanging Around. Yet to look at the Clash numbers (although perhaps they won't make the cut).

Apologies @mkrb - I thought Hanging Around would be quite an easy 4/4 beat to busk along to...
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13575
    should I make it,  is Breeze the original JJ Cale sylee or Skynyrd version ? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Brocco said:
    Question for @SPECTRUM001 on Queen Bitch - will you be playing the fill / lick over the chorus, if so, we could move you to 1st guitar and I could move to 2nd.
    Hi @Brocco, nope, I am strictly rhythm - don't make it cry or sing !

Aside from actually finessing my ability, I am pretty much sorted on Queen Bitch, The Passenger, Sweet Jane, Public Image and Hanging Around. Yet to look at the Clash numbers (although perhaps they won't make the cut).

Apologies @mkrb - I thought Hanging Around would be quite an easy 4/4 beat to busk along to...
    Many thanks. I'll see if I can get the lick to an acceptable level otherwise we can both concentrate on the rhythm but perhaps with different chord voicings for interest.
  • bertie said:

We played the Lynyrd  Skynyrd version at the last jam. Although we winged it a bit and I think we missed out a few bits :)

It's not a competition.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13575
    edited December 2023
    bertie said:

We played the Lynyrd  Skynyrd version at the last jam. Although we winged it a bit and I think we missed out a few bits

is the right answer        

the bit that made me chuckle from the videos,  was the "vocal improv"  on the lead in, to the solo on All Right Now 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.

You really need to come to one of the jams. But expect to get grilled by @Bennyboy-UK who'll want to know what your tricks are :)

Cheers but I can't see myself doing it as it has 3 things I don't like:
    People
    Competing with other Guitarist amps
    People trying to touch my equipment 

:lol: I'd be no fun at all. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    spark240 said:
    mrkb said:
    @bobblehat @roberty @Brocco @spark240 ;
    How are we going to end Run to You - as per the record (With just drums and vocals) or just fall apart as usual?

When I’ve done it before it’s usually with an enthusiastic Run to you !
    As the outro is an extended chorus, we could end the outro/chorus chord sequence on the D chord (as per the actual chorus sections) after a predetermined number of cycles. An example might be that we play/sing the chorus twice at the point the outro vocals kick in (at about 2m40s after the harmonised melody section), and then play the chord sequence once or twice more without vocals and end on the D. Suggestion based on listening to the version of the track on the 30th Anniversary edition of the Reckless album, where the whole band continue to play the outro which then fades out.