Western Jam, Firebird Studios, Bristol, 25th February 2024

What's Hot

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2205
    edited December 2023
    @mrkb could you give the list a quick once over at some point, to let us know which ones you'd rather drop to avoid an overload in learning stuff.

Then, after that, we can focus on which ones attract vocalists. It's usually easy to find guitar players (ten a penny ) and I could cover bass as a last resort, if we don't get a better offer.

I expect we'll have to accept that some of these will have to go and we may have revert to some from previous jams.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's an updated song list. We now have a full line up for 'Run To You'. Just a remonder that others can still have a go at that one if they want to, because we can do more than one run through.

Let me know if you spot any errors

https://i.imgur.com/IP62TKl.png

Regarding the songs I pitched - they are just a starting point in order to (hopefully) get a two or three into the set - dependent on whether anyone else fancies playing them ?

If I were to rank, I would go in order of - 

Sweet Jane
    Hanging Around
    The Passenger
    Queen Bitch
    Public Image
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 90
    @stratman3142 please could you add me to Queen Bitch (play along). We should probably also add @spark240 to London Calling and White Riot given that he has said more or less any Clash track is of interest, which reminds me that I Fought The Law was included in the playlist for one of our previous jams, so could perhaps be considered again (although we don't need three Clash tracks in the final list!).
    edited December 2023
    Brocco said:
    @stratman3142 please could you add me to Queen Bitch (play along). We should probably also add @spark240 to London Calling and White Riot given that he has said more or less any Clash track is of interest, which reminds me that I Fought The Law was included in the playlist for one of our previous jams, so could perhaps be considered again (although we don't need three Clash tracks in the final list!).
    OK, updated as requested. 

@spark240, I've got you down as Lead Guitar for all the Clash songs, so shout if that's too much. Although, I expect some might get dropped if we can't fill the other roles.

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
    Yeah there very little solo stuff in Clash so I can have ago at that...happy to chip in on Hanging around too 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited December 2023
    spark240 said:
    Yeah there very little solo stuff in Clash so I can have ago at that...happy to chip in on Hanging around too 
    The column labelled 'Lead Guitar' is a bit of a loose term. It just means the main guitar part (or solos if there are any). Perhaps I should re-label the columns 1st Guitar, 2nd Guitar and Play Along.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Hoping we can make some progress one way or the other with the additional tracks proposed so far. If any are out for vocals or drums it would be good to know.  ;)   Checking if there is any interest in including The Temperance Movement - Only Friend?

• I'll include things at the next update of the song list.

Just to move things fowards a bit.  @mrkb , in the current list, can I assume you're OK for the ones you played drums on at the last jam which are:

La Grange (ZZ Top)
    Call Me The Breeze (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
    Just What I Needed (The Cars)
    Alright Now (Free)
    Wishing Well (Free)
    Feel Like Making Love (Bad Company)

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6921
    edited December 2023
    I'll include things at the next update of the song list.

Just to move things fowards a bit.  @mrkb , in the current list, can I assume you're OK for the ones you played drums on at the last jam which are:

La Grange (ZZ Top)
    Call Me The Breeze (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
    Just What I Needed (The Cars)
    Alright Now (Free)
    Wishing Well (Free)
    Feel Like Making Love (Bad Company)

Yep Im ok to play those again.

Have just made a playlist of the new proposals - and there's currently 17 songs - over an hours worth to go through and see if they are playable and check if a drum tab is readily available - so will do a few a night over the next few nights. But Im only going to learn 6 new songs max (they take 2-3 hours each to get scored out correctly - more if I need to learnt specific "non 4/4 kick snare" bits)

New suggestions playlist
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5ygoSIN4YYFmoOBbE919AI?si=7bc3f1679c73415f

Initial thoughts-
    Sweet Janes - ok - simple enough to learn.
    Move over - Slade.  has a tricky hihat pattern at 2-3 mins that will take alot of effort to get upto speed.
    Passenger - ok - simple enough to learn.
    London Calling - some tricky hit hat triplet patterns - doable, but alot of work.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for adding a playlist @mrkb , which increases the chances of us all actually learning the same version :)

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2023
    There's an updated song list at the end of this post.

These are the updates. Shout if I've got anything wrong or missed anything.

@spark240 : added as 1st guitar for 'Hanging Around'

@brocco : added as 1st guitar for his new suggestion of 'Only Friend'

@mrkb : added on drums for:
    La Grange
    Call Me The Breeze
    Just What I Needed
    Alright Now
    Wishing Well
    Feel Like Making Love
    Sweet Jane
    The Passenger

I'll hold fire on 'Move Over' and 'London Calling' for now, if those might required too much effort.

@stratman3142: I've put myself down on bass for 'Just What I Needed', but happy to move aside if we get a better offer. That means we've got another song with a full line-up

I could cover bass on 'La Grange' and 'Call Me The Breeze', if someone can replace me on guitar for those two, which would give us two more songs with a full set of roles.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 thank you. Just realised that we can probably safely assume that @mrkb is okay with the drum part on I Believe In A Thing Called Love as we did this track last time. If there is interest from others in a second run-through of Just What I Needed, I would be up for 2nd guitar. Happy to drop Move Over as the suggestion has been out there for quite a while, and given that the drum part is not straightforward. On Only Friend, I would be okay playing the main riff, but would need someone else to play the widdly bits!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
    Im good for anything on Just what I needed, I can drop on Bass on Rebel Yell if that helps, 

I can go shopping for Bass  / drum  / vocalists if required ?  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited December 2023
    There's another update at the end of this post.

Here are the changes based on comments from @brocco and @spark240

I've put @mrkb down for possible drums on 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love'. I've put a question mark until he confirms it.

> Added on 2nd guitar for Just What I Needed. 

> Dropped Move Over

> Moved to 2nd guitar for Only Friend

> Added on 1st guitar for Just What I Needed
    > Added on Bass for Rebel Yell

I'm going to put multiples in one cell this time, but I assume we cover things in multiple run throughs, rather than everyone playing at the same time

The red boxes indicate where we just need one more role to complete the line-up

It's not a competition.
  • spark240 said:

...I can go shopping for Bass  / drum  / vocalists if required ?  
    What do you think @Brocco . It could help in filling some of the roles, and in carrying the load.

It's not a competition.
    spark240 said:

...I can go shopping for Bass  / drum  / vocalists if required ?  
    What do you think @Brocco . It could help in filling some of the roles, and in carrying the load.

@spark240 has brought several of his crew along to some of the earlier jams, so don't see any reason why more would not be merrier. It would also be nice to reconnect.  :)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6921
    Am ok with drums on 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love', "Champaign Supernova" and can learn "Rebel Yell" fairly easily.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2023
    mrkb said:
    Am ok with drums on 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love', "Champaign Supernova" and can learn "Rebel Yell" fairly easily.
    Excellent. Here's another update.

We've now got enough roles to get through 'Champagne Supernova' (assuming @Neilybob is happy to play it without a 2nd guitar , and also enough to get through Rebel Yell.

It's not a competition.
  • Hello ,

Do you think it would be good to have a quick roll call to see who is confirmed so far ?

Also may be worth putting the songs from previous jams back on the list to pad out the set list. Appreciate its extra work @stratman3142 but the completed line ups are a bit thin on the ground at the minute  :#

edited December 2023
    bobblehat said:
    Hello ,

Do you think it would be good to have a quick roll call to see who is confirmed so far ?

Also may be worth putting the songs from previous jams back on the list to pad out the set list. Appreciate its extra work @stratman3142 but the completed line ups are a bit thin on the ground at the minute 

Currently we have 13 people listed on page 1 under "expressions of interest" but not everyone has yet proposed tracks or nominated themselves for roles on tracks suggested by others. Everyone currently on the list is tagged below so we can all share our status 

@mrkb ;;@Brocco @roberty @stratman3142 ;;@Bennyboy-UK ;;@Jonathangus @bobblehat @Neilybob ;;@Vibetronic
    @SPECTRUM001 @designerseye88 @bertie ;;@spark240 ;;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom